• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta Ag decimated

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alberta Ag decimated

UCP hates Ag. 250 incredible staff, gone. Medicine hat and Lethbridge research centers ruined.

A proud day for conservative "leadership".

Ross says it best....

https://twitter.com/rossmckenzieAG/status/1318956159127101440 https://twitter.com/rossmckenzieAG/status/1318956159127101440

Hopefully those working on the 'climate change file' got the axe. My guess is that most of these folks won't be missed. I have talked to Ross MacKenzie a couple of times. Non a big fan of micro nutrients. On a more serious note, prudent budgeting will make a reappearance in canuckistan at some point. Where would you suggest we start. Can't raise taxes. My preference would be wage and benefit roll backs rather than layoffs to start but that is not what most others would support.

Comment

Not sure how they would have benefited my hay and grain operation. I do you use Alberta's Crop Protection handbook...hope they don't get rid of that. I tried to find a district agriculturist last year with a question and couldn't find one. A few years ago I called the local office and found them to be of little help. I think I found the answer online. So if I have an ag question now where do I go for help?

Comment

At least the Alberta government is facing up to the possibility of bankruptcy. The same cannot be said of almost every other level of government in Canada.

Comment

Funny, not a word is said when farmers are having to pay the bills for useless institutions stealing money for funding. Now government workers are suffering, and the world is going to end? Ag as a whole is going to crash and burn?

If you don’t know what you are doing by now, you shouldn’t be farming.

On a side note, did the researchers not see this coming with the seed rights and development being handed to private industry? Maybe they should have made a little more noise about that. But it was just the farmer having to pay more right? Didn’t affect them, so why waste their breath...

Sorry if I don’t show any sympathy.

Comment

I hate to see anyone lose their jobs but its time for govt employees to give up their golden pensions and benefits programs, pay and benefits should be the same as non govt employees receive.

Comment

Sometimes when one door closes another opens.

Depends on the individual and what they make of it.

Do you have any comments Errol ?

Comment

Flea quote; "If you don’t know what you are doing by now, you shouldn’t be farming."

Huh?

So you know everything there is to know about farming? Never have grown a new crop or taken on a new enterprise where you needed some extension advice or expertise? You can diagnose every disease, pest and fertility issue and know exactly how to treat it? Even the rarely seen ones?

And what about new and beginning farmers?

Why send our kids to ag college when Dad and Mom already know everything there is to know!

And we don't need any more research? That's all settled?

Some people say the darndest things!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                  Flea quote; "If you don’t know what you are doing by now, you shouldn’t be farming."

Huh?

So you know everything there is to know about farming? Never have grown a new crop or taken on a new enterprise where you needed some extension advice or expertise? You can diagnose every disease, pest and fertility issue and know exactly how to treat it? Even the rarely seen ones?

Why send our kids to ag college when Dad and Mom already know everything there is to know!

Common sense goes a long way chuck. Something that doesn’t come through in a lot of your posts. So I can see why this bugs you so much. I guess you won't be able to phone every day anymore, and ask what you are supposed to be doing today.

I in no way said that I know everything. Can you direct me to where I said that please?

In the rare instance that I have phoned the ag extension, they ended up reading word for word out of the blue book (chemical bible) or a googled passage. Thanks tips, couldn’t have done it without you!*. Overpaid regurgitators.

I can google and research my own problems thanks.

Don’t get me started on ag college. Another joke.

Best advice you can get is phone a buddy and hash it out. Usually can figure things out. Sorry chuck, not a government tit sucking useless twit here. The less government involvement in anything, the better.

A young farmer typically has family already in the business. They can be a sounding board for about 95% of the problems they will encounter. The other 5%, well there is that common sense and trial and error thing again. Why do we need millions of dollars spent on ag extension, plus golden pensions as stated above, to read info that is already available to everybody?

Did I say that we don’t need research? Again, can you point out where I said that? You sure know how to conjure up bullshit don’t you? They fired 200 people, and there are still more in the department. Do you think all those people were needed? There will still be research done by those that are left.
                  Last edited by flea beetle; Oct 22, 2020, 20:15.

Comment

Huh?

for agrology questions , i ask furrow
                    for marketing, its 101
                    all things accounting is richard
                    hard to find parts , klause
                    etc. , etc.
                    i have a lot to learn
                    isn't agriville great , lots of intelligent people sharing their knowledge at the touch of a key

Comment

Never hurts to trim a bit of fat or clear some dead wood.

Comment

The employer (the Province) is broke and this is what happens, govt employees should not be guaranteed lifetime employment. How is your ag policy coming along Tweeter.

Comment

Didn't hurt when Ralph did it.

Comment

Huh?

..... so what your saying is ....
                            Yup that’s a typical response from you lol
                            And yup you do say the darnedest things ... check your own post back a few .. ya the sexual deranged one .

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                              Sometimes when one door closes another opens.

Depends on the individual and what they make of it.

Do you have any comments Errol ?
                              Definately, I was saddened to see ‘Call of the Land’ cancelled. Enjoyed working with Jack Howell and Caitlynn Reesor over the years. They are real pros.

But I am a strong believer that true economics rules and what’s important again floats-to-the-top. Ag information is available from many sources. Private business is covering this well. Business will always step in to fill the void. And gov’t can act as a clear competitor to business trying to make a go of it.

When you look at vacanted downtown Calgary office towers and thousands of permanent job losses, why should taxpayers remain responsible to maintain gov’t status-quo. Fresh buds will start to grow as the economy repairs from private business, but you have to plug the holes on the ship first.

Realize, there are many talented agrologists now on the sidelines, but true economics always rules. It may take a step backwards to allow for a stronger step forward in the yrs ahead. No different for government or business.

We are entering a new era of significant change and realinement. And this is just the beginning (IMO). Financial reality is forcing tough love, but had to be done . . . .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.