• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heres an interesting piece

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres an interesting piece

https://www.producer.com/2020/10/farmers-demand-action-on-moisture-testers/

https://www.producer.com/2020/10/farmers-demand-action-on-moisture-testers/ https://www.producer.com/2020/10/farmers-demand-action-on-moisture-testers/

Comment

Same with protein testers and falling number results .
      A lot of variables can leave the producer out almost $1 / bus if one does not have 3rd party checks.
      Luckily falling number not an issue this year in this area for the most part , have heard some Brandon that was 265 .... but was not a concern because most is 350 ish

Comment

our hughes was 435+ FN this year , but its not important , fuz makes it a #2 lol
        frozen hailed feed was even 290
        Last edited by Guest; Oct 19, 2020, 08:08.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          our hughes was 435+ FN this year , but its not important , fuz makes it a #2 lol
          Fuz on a dry year is concerning .

Comment

AS prices rise there will be more wrong with a farmers grain....

Comment

People only dispute the moisture tester if it tests higher. Never hear anyone disputing when it tests lower.

Usually the reverse of the protein tester 😂

“Oh that’s two points dryer than my tester at home said. Guess I get to go!”

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                There isn’t hardly any fusarium this year so a #1 could be offered if they want it bad enough.

Comment

With profit margins as tight as they are for the primary producer it’s imperative to get every last cent possible for the grain delivered. $.50 a bushel may not seem like a big deal to the buyer but it’s critical to the producer . Again just like protein and falling number ... discrepancies can cost the producer $10,000’s of thousands of dollars .
                  Falling numbers the past two years varied by as much as 75 points last year from location to location ... sorry that’s completely unacceptable. As is 1 point in protein .... elevators don’t lose a dime , the producer could be out thousands .

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                    People only dispute the moisture tester if it tests higher. Never hear anyone disputing when it tests lower.

True unless it’s canola that’s too dry . But some fix that on their own

Comment

Falling Numbers are a weird one to me.

Their readings are dependent on the kPa so change depending on elevation. (Yet you have to manually tell it so I’m always curious how big an effect a pressure system can have on results)

While the amounts used in a representative portion are things like 300g ground, 7ish g flour weighed, 25 ml of water..... it is still possible that in that 300g there aren’t many or maybe there’s a higher than representative amount for factors like sprouts, so even in that well stirred portion, does every 7g tested run the same chance of getting influencing factors at the correct amount they appear in the grain? (This will all get pushed back onto ensuring representative samples) It’s really the least consistent test I’ve personally done in that, you can run the same sample in the moisture or protein testers and you will be within .2 of itself every time. FNs have to be within 5% and they are so sensitive that that seems hard for some. Also, the FN people themselves will tell you that the higher the number, the less accurate/consistent you will get and anything over 400 will be harder to nail down. Not really an issue since over 400 is good, but if they start paying premiums it would be worth keeping in mind.

On the plus side, with the nature of the FN test, it seems that any **** up will more often than not result in a higher number for the grain, not a lower.

However I do wonder with so many companies saying they’re going to buy based on FN, not grades, what are they really going to do when faced with grain like Case’s. A subjective grade is one thing to disregard, maybe. But they tout the health for things like fus and ergot, can you disregard those factors in the face of the grain making good bread? Oh, it’ll look good but it might make you sick too. So do they mean they’ll buy based on FN, not visual grade, but you’re still subject to the downgrade of other stuff? They like to make it sound so simple....

Comment

Absolutely zero wheat bought on falling number here this year ... so far. Was not even mentioned.

Comment

It’s some vague “in the future” thing.

I’ve heard V say in 2-3 years and they seem about the farthest away from being able to do it 😂

Comment

It’s some vague “in the future” thing.

I’ve heard V say in 2-3 years and they seem about the farthest away from being able to do it 😂
                            Last two years here some had to test every load let alone every bin sample . And those same samples could vary up to 75 points from location to location . Beyond frustrating when $.50 / bus was the difference from breaking even to losing money on grain delivered... was not real funny tbh for a lot of producers .

Comment

This article is most likely about oats
                              You can test a thousand tests with those new fancy automatic testers
                              Eveyone will be a point tougher than the 919 , gauranteed
                              i have saw it the other way in feed barley
                              Its so ludicrous there isnt hardly any reading on the 919 when you get oats to 12.5 on the 919 which is 13.5 on the automatic one , basically straw
                              They dont want glyphosate used but they want it so dry its almost impossible
                              Last edited by Guest; Oct 19, 2020, 12:49.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...