• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working Border Collie info wanted

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working Border Collie info wanted

I just bought an 8 week old border collie pup. I would like to know any info on how/ when to train it. Any books, info, training seminars in central Alberta area preferably. Thanks

There are several good dog training books and videos available. The Sheep and Wool Growers Catalogue has the books/videos that are available as does Cee-der Sheep Products. Do you have access to numbers for either of these? I can look them up if you need them. I know that there are sheep dog trials in the area in late June, I believe but don't quote me on it, in Red Deer.

Comment

dfarms, I'm no expert in training dogs but when we got our border collie I had the same questions . We found out from info. and trail and error that you should start training when the dog shows an interest in herding. If there is no interest shown by' 14 months I believe ' then your dog will just be a family pet and you should look for another. We checked out border collies in ASK JEEVES.Com there was alot of info in there. Also don't let anyone tell you that a working dog cannot be a family pet either. They are dogs that need attention and if they don't get it you will have nothing but headaches . Good Luck. we love ours

Comment

thanks for the info guys, cakadu, no i dont even know those places, could you get the numbers for me, thanks in advance

Comment

There are several numbers for places to order training books and videos for dogs: The Shepherd's Warehouse - 1-403-534-2185 E-mail: shepherd@telusplanet.net Canadian Co-operative Wool Growers Limited Supplies Dept. 1-800-567-3693 (They have a pretty good catalogue) Cee-Der Sheep Products (Lethbridge) Phone: (403) 327-2242 These last 2 places have catalogues that they send out, so you could phone and ask them for a copy. I hope this helps and if you need more information, just ask.

Comment

If you want a book, try 'A way of Life' , it is one of the better books on training stockdogs. You can contact the Alberta Stockdog Association for info on Clinics. Some of the the agricultural colleges have clinics. Elvin Kopp, Dennis Gellings, and Richard Tipton are some of the better trainers.

Comment

In reading your note looking for information on training border collies . The Red Deer Highland Games host a trial on June 23 & 24 , 2000. If you would E-mail me at llbell@telusplanet.net With more on your requist I have names of books , videos. & maybe clinics. P.S. I work with the Highland Games. Larry

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.