• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best tool to use when reverting hay to crop in zero-till

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tool to use when reverting hay to crop in zero-till

We have some land which we seeded to hay over 10 years ago. This is in SW Sask, in an area that held gopher derbies.... they were so thick urbanites were coming out and shooting thousands per day on 1 quarter. So, this hayland is rough, and incredibly dry right now, as it hasn't rained since July, and even then it was just a tenth or two.

What do I use to get this land ready for seeding this spring? We seed with a seed hawk... paired row openers on 10 inch spacing. Trash clearance is horrible....emergence is awesome.

Kelly disc chain?

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
      Kelly disc chain?
      I have never seen a machine like that... I guess it isn't commonly used in our area, but I'm not sure why. I would want to rent it before buying, for sure

Comment

I posted mostly as an experiment... posting a machinery and equipment question on the appropriate forum category. I think I would have received more replies and opinions had I posted on the commodity category, which aligns with my view that Agriville should just delete the other categories.... it's disheartening to post on forums with no traffic simply because you are "playing by the rules"

Thank you for your response, mallee.... I appreciate it

Comment

Anyone around you have a pillar laser? Reasonably impressed with neighbors results. Have seen some guys on twitter seeding into snowed over crop from 2019 that they had to abandon into 2020. Trash clearance seems good. It's an independent depth unit so could manage the uneven ground likely fairly well.

Still doesnt get you leveled out though...

If it's only gopher/badger holes could you seed peas into it and then hit it with a roller that has the mullboard blade attachment?

Comment

I've seen a neighbour use a Bridgeview pull dozer to level hay ground. Only about 50 acres though.
            Looked like he set it an inch off the ground so it would gather up the mole hills and gopher hills and then trickle back out in the low spots.
            I've broke hay ground with a Wishek heavy disk. However, tillage leads to more tillage and you end up having to go over it two or three times to chop up the sod. I've also sprayed in the fall and gone straight in with a Seedmaster in the spring. That is way better but it does not do anything to smooth out the field.

Comment

And besides sod harvesting, do you somehow still prepare the site for sowing? Are you applying some kind of fertilizer or treating pests?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.