• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The biggest issues facing farmers ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    You will be happy to know that Trudeau bought into also helping fund 300 farmers about a million dollars a quarter for a stupid irrigation project.

But I guess that government funding is OK by your standards. ?
    Here in tory blue Alberta we have welfare cowboys sponsored by the gov so they can have there high priced friends come out on an elk hunt, I guess everyone has their chosen ones.
    Oh yes I forgot the three rivers dam and irrigation,made a few very rich Im sure they rember when it comes time to donate to favorite politician. Just accept it ,its easier than freting over it.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
      Actually no. I agree with you on that. But I am not going to preface every dollar spent by government with the idea that they should start printing and mailing them to everyone. Or it's not my idea of stimulating the economy by paying xx per acre to farmers.

I generally believe governments need to be responsible with our money and get out of the way.
      True ...but when other countries like the USA are sending close to 75 billion in canadian funds to its farmers....and Europe is helping their farmers ....all the while Russia has poured money into their agriculture infrastructure .....is it fair to expect Canadian farmers to burn equity

Then also consider some other comments here about the age and the entry cost into farming.

There isn't the off farm jobs out there to fund farming like a few short years ago.

These are the conversations that have been lacking from our farm leaders to the government. Massive irrigation projects will not solve the farms problems...matter of fact if you look at it it adds problems because the workers are coming from other countries because there isn't the farm workers here.
      Last edited by bucket; Oct 1, 2020, 21:21.

Comment

True ...but when other countries like the USA are sending close to 75 billion in canadian funds to its farmers....and Europe is helping their farmers ....all the while Russia has poured money into their agriculture infrastructure .....is it fair to expect Canadian farmers to burn equity

Then also consider some other comments here about the age and the entry cost into farming.

There isn't the off farm jobs out there to fund farming like a few short years ago.

These are the conversations that have been lacking from our farm leaders to the government. Massive irrigation projects will not solve the farms problems...matter of fact if you look at it it adds problems because the workers are coming from other countries because there isn't the farm workers here.
        Try as you might you can't make a case for an acreage payment here. Just because a foreign government does it doesn't mean that we should.

How are your corn or soybean yields this year?

My biggest concern is the friggin impending tax grab that is going come and shake the foundation of western cdn ag.

I don't know what the current aggregate farm profit is but if the feds grab another 15 or 20 percent annually it will make any possible one time acreage payment look like peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
          Try as you might you can't make a case for an acreage payment here. Just because a foreign government does it doesn't mean that we should.

How are your corn or soybean yields this year?

My biggest concern is the friggin impending tax grab that is going come and shake the foundation of western cdn ag.

I don't know what the current aggregate farm profit is but if the feds grab another 15 or 20 percent annually it will make any possible one time acreage payment look like peanuts.
          I am terribly afraid this will happen sooner than later with this current batch of crocks in Ottawa

Comment

Did Truduea slip up when he mentioned funding for IRRIGATION? Is this linked to the sask party 4 billion? Are they using federal money for
            Their claimed stupid idea?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
              Did Truduea slip up when he mentioned funding for IRRIGATION? Is this linked to the sask party 4 billion? Are they using federal money for
              Their claimed stupid idea?
              They have to have the federal government involved because the water is federal jurisdiction and Quebec will need part in the building of it as well...

Comment

They have to have the federal government involved because the water is federal jurisdiction and Quebec will need part in the building of it as well...
                Ya but are these idiots getting the funding and gonna say that’s why they’re broke yet get money federally for it? Truduea didn’t say approval he said funding for irrigation.

Comment

I agree old age, is a big one
                  But there is not shortage of hutterite kids or people
                  Wanting to rent land.
                  I may sound like a broken record on the seed
                  Ownership thing. But it is huge.
                  A new middleman that costs as much as the land,
                  For the use of the seed.and that is when they only
                  Control canola. What happens in 10 years when they
                  Control every single seed? Not like, screw em I will just plant wheat.
                  The own all that too.
                  Like two landlords now to pay .
                  Not my problem I guess ,I will be done by then anyway.
                  Even Tom cwb can see the writing on the wall now.
                  A little late ,mind you .
                  And he was one of the biggest cheerleaders for handing
                  rights away.
                  Guess what they will succeed taking over secan.
                  And everything else. Because cost does not matter.
                  We will pay for it in the end anyway.
                  Farmers having anything to do with seed ownership
                  Is not part of the plan.
                  That is kinda the whole idea. They tell us how much we
                  Pay, because we have no other choice.

Sorry for the rant.
                  But what was John Lennon s line .
                  You sound like f ing peasants to me.
                  You even own the land, but they own the seed .
                  So basically they own you.

Comment

you guys will like this line...

The government said the investment will help mitigate any private lender concerns about the risks associated with large projects that rely on commodity prices.

See where the private lender get its BRM from?

And once again farm groups are silent....

Comment

you guys will like this line...

The government said the investment will help mitigate any private lender concerns about the risks associated with large projects that rely on commodity prices.

See where the private lender get its BRM from?

And once again farm groups are silent....
                      That some supposedly intelligent person could make such a statement and yet overlook the obvious, bitter irony in it is simply staggering.

The real value of the human beings who produce food in Canada is now reduced to an insensate cog in the machinery, a commodity, or a currency the same as the price of the stuff we grow.

Comment

Originally posted by sawfly1 View Post
                        I agree old age, is a big one
                        But there is not shortage of hutterite kids or people
                        Wanting to rent land.
                        I may sound like a broken record on the seed
                        Ownership thing. But it is huge.
                        A new middleman that costs as much as the land,
                        For the use of the seed.and that is when they only
                        Control canola. What happens in 10 years when they
                        Control every single seed? Not like, screw em I will just plant wheat.
                        The own all that too.
                        Like two landlords now to pay .
                        Not my problem I guess ,I will be done by then anyway.
                        Even Tom cwb can see the writing on the wall now.
                        A little late ,mind you .
                        And he was one of the biggest cheerleaders for handing
                        rights away.
                        Guess what they will succeed taking over secan.
                        And everything else. Because cost does not matter.
                        We will pay for it in the end anyway.
                        Farmers having anything to do with seed ownership
                        Is not part of the plan.
                        That is kinda the whole idea. They tell us how much we
                        Pay, because we have no other choice.

Sorry for the rant.
                        But what was John Lennon s line .
                        You sound like f ing peasants to me.
                        You even own the land, but they own the seed .
                        So basically they own you.
                        Interesting thoughts and quote.

Sounds like Lennon and Lenin are interchangeable...

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                          That some supposedly intelligent person could make such a statement and yet overlook the obvious, bitter irony in it is simply staggering.

The real value of the human beings who produce food in Canada is now reduced to an insensate cog in the machinery, a commodity, or a currency the same as the price of the stuff we grow.
                          You would think an intelligent reporter would maybe pick up on it as well?????

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                            Depends on the farmer I guess. Plenty wet here. Thankful for that. Not even close to dry.

To answer the question... a bit of a rant follows...

For many it seems to be the neighbors, and the perception that growing more at all costs is somehow the answer to what ails agriculture. Gotta keep up at all costs. That gun pointing at most farmers heads, forcing them to farm the way most do now a days is a pretty real thing.

Anyone I talk to cares less about govt policy, and mostly care about Jim down the road who looks to be retiring, and how can I ensure I get the land, so that John doesn’t. Stupid gun.

How many acres an hour will the 800 000 dollar combine, wait, make that three of them, harvest, and extrapolating, how much land can I handle, so that I ensure John doesn’t get Jim’s land. That bloody gun pointing at my head.

What newest varieties and snake oil can I put on my crops to ensure I grow more bushels, to sell at the whim of the buyers, with no control, so that I can say my canola went 70, so I can make payments on those three 800 000 dollar machines. Never mind a shrinking net return. Then I must complain about the price of inputs, rent, and grain... you know the gun held at my head and all.

What is the highest rent I can pay Tom for his land to whisk it away from Mike, the thousand acre farmer who seems to struggle? He only has a 9500 combine, a 30 foot Morris 1; it’s obvious he can’t handle it! Here Tom, how about 90 bucks an acre? That flipping gun is a big one. We don’t need thousand acres farms no more, I need the land more than mike you see. The combines you see. They need to look good on more acres.

That little bush where George used to live, raised his family on, at the corner of that field is useless. Useless I say! I own the land now. I NEED that land! I’m buying a cat and a hoe. I’m flattening George’s little piece of history. His house? That little thing? Hahaha, the hoe will take care of that, no problem! Those six acres will make my farm more efficient. In ten years, no one will even remember George! I mean, I need the land to produce more high value grain, right? Same goes for when I buy out Mike, the thousand acre guy who couldn’t make it because I ripped him off of a third of his land base for 90 bucks an acre, (the lazy nut never even counter offered, heh heh heh), his yard is even bigger at eight acres! And the 30 acre pasture with his new fences? Lots to gain there. It’s so great I bought the cat and hoe. I’m just so great. What planning, what efficiency!

Truly, farmers are more worried about getting more more more. The gun is forcing them.

By and large, this is how it seems to me. Few exceptions anymore.

More land, best machinery, highest inputs to out do the neighbor. Smash down all the Bush, all the old yards. Make full quarters. When I die, I want to be known as the guy who worked so hard, and attained so much. It helps me so much now in my death. It matters most to gain more stuff. Lotsa room in this 8 by 3 plot I’m in now!

It’s really quite stupid actually.

Who suffers? The thousand acre farmer just trying to make a proper living. The garlic farmer who wants 20 acres, but no one will give him a chance.

So to answer your question, I truly believe that the biggest issue that worries 90% of the farmers that are left, is doing all they can to get more. More land, more stuff to farm it, highest yields they can so they can afford it.
                            Sheepwheat , this post really resonates with what I have personally seen in my area. I used to think that it wasn't fun being the smallest farmer in the area. In the last 5-10 years my opinions have changed. Nowadays , I kind of like seeing the look on a few "neighbors " faces when I drag some old relic home ,because I got a deal on it , and because these BTO's wouldn't be caught dead using it on their land, even though they seem to have a bigger problem with land management despite having the best machinery that $ can buy. In my area We had a Hutt colony come in and buy 50 + 1/4s of land in the RM a while back. They paid a lot more than what land was currently trading for ( similar story for some of you guys I'm sure) and it raised the price of land in our area for everybody. Great idea if you are selling , not so much for expanding. I am getting tired of those kinds of groups who seem to have a lot better banking terms than the rest of us. It is unfair , and always has been.

However if you are thinking about selling , you are no longer a pawn in a big chess game. It changes the dynamic a bit when the neighbors that really want to buy/rent your land know that they cant snooker it out from you because they think no one else wants it. It's the best RRSP I didn't have to pay for.

Just my opinion everyone.

Comment

Farms have continued to grow and consolidate almost from the time Western Canada was settled by pioneers.
                              I'm sure the rate of consolidation ebbed and flowed over the decades.
                              Even at different rates in different areas of the Provinces.

It feels like we've been left "behind", but in some cases you have to wonder who is further "ahead".

Lots of very successful multi family farms.

Lots of wannabes that are ego driven

Nothing wrong with being "satisfied".

Seems 8-10,000 acre farms are the new 2-3000 acre farms.

I think it's all based on increments.... numbers of harvest, seeding and family units.

To each....their own.

Edit in. What sounds better? "We" farm 10,000 acres" or "my share of the 10,000 farm is 3333.3 acres".

....and then the hired men need to be paid too....
                              Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 2, 2020, 08:16.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                                Farms have continued to grow and consolidate almost from the time Western Canada was settled by pioneers.
                                I'm sure the rate of consolidation ebbed and flowed over the decades.
                                Even at different rates in different areas of the Provinces.

It feels like we've been left "behind", but in some cases you have to wonder who is further "ahead".

Lots of very successful multi family farms.

Lots of wannabes that are ego driven

Nothing wrong with being "satisfied".

Seems 8-10,000 acre farms are the new 2-3000 acre farms.

I think it's all based on increments.... numbers of harvest, seeding and family units.

To each....their own.

Edit in. What sounds better? "We" farm 10,000 acres" or "my share of the 10,000 farm is 3333.3 acres".

....and then the hired men need to be paid too....

Exactly....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...