• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The biggest issues facing farmers ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
    Really? That’s so popular it makes the list?!
    Needed to have something humorous to break the depressing tone of this thread so far.
    Doubted anyone would read that far.

Comment

Well I’m glad you think my spinster state is humorous 😭😭

Maybe that’s the biggest issues facing farming today.

They let people like me get away 😆

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        That and the genetic lottery plays a pretty darn enormous role as well. In fact, it for many, completely allows an overcoming of weather!

Just the way it is. No, I ain’t jealous, I simply see things as they are.
        There is actually a simple solution to the problem. If interest rates were ever allowed to go up as free market forces are want to do, then equity matters again. It would also enable small operators to grow as you could work, save money and purchase assets allowing anyone who wants to, to pursue opportunities. As is only the BTO and old hoarders control the industry today as they are recipients of the largest wealth transfer in history: from savers to borrowers. Lots of BTO got saved by the covid money print.

Comment

Biggest issue I see facing farmers; Old age.

Majority are aging out and through a variety of circumstances, younger aren’t coming in/staying in.

You sound like the Brits I know, upset with their post Brexit government possibly allowing in “inferior” products raised with methods illegal for them to use. Coincidentally it’s our products under discussion.
          Just curious, what are some of the Canadian products that don't pass the Brits approval.

Comment

Originally posted by rumrocks View Post
            Just curious, what are some of the Canadian products that don't pass the Brits approval.
            I wouldn’t say it’s their approval so much, unless you mean laws vs personal approval. I don’t think the average person or farmer cares either way. Just the farmers are (expectedly) mad that “cheap imports” could potentially flood their market and they have no course to compete as legally they aren’t allowed to use such production methods.

Things like:

GMO crops.
            Hormones in beef.
            Chlorine washed for chickens.
            Certain herbicides.

Even though they’ve Brexited, their government has stated they’re still keeping the “higher standards” of EU farming practices. Sounds good to the public, less great for the farmers if it hobbles them against imports.

Comment

I wouldn’t say it’s their approval so much, unless you mean laws vs personal approval. I don’t think the average person or farmer cares either way. Just the farmers are (expectedly) mad that “cheap imports” could potentially flood their market and they have no course to compete as legally they aren’t allowed to use such production methods.

Things like:

GMO crops.
              Hormones in beef.
              Chlorine washed for chickens.
              Certain herbicides.

Even though they’ve Brexited, their government has stated they’re still keeping the “higher standards” of EU farming practices. Sounds good to the public, less great for the farmers if it hobbles them against imports.
              Very similar to Ottawa allowing oil imports from Saudi and Venezuela, while the oil field and all those who are unemployed in western Canada, take it on the chin.

Comment

Well I’m glad you think my spinster state is humorous 😭😭

Maybe that’s the biggest issues facing farming today.

They let people like me get away 😆
                If you need help to build a trap line, mine worked for me to catch a lifer. Just let me know I will do what I can for you.

Comment

Very similar to Ottawa allowing oil imports from Saudi and Venezuela, while the oil field and all those who are unemployed in western Canada, take it on the chin.
                  Yes. When you start chatting internationally you see that many countries have very similar problems in a variety of industries. Canada blames the liberals of course, but the spectrum of governments in power with the same issues shows it’s not party or ideal specific. There isn’t one better or worse than another. Which is why I find arguing about politics to be a complete waste of time.

Welcome to globalization and capitalism!

Comment

Biggest issue I see facing farmers; Old age.

Majority are aging out and through a variety of circumstances, younger aren’t coming in/staying in.

That could be it, old gen can not all get out at same time...overwhelm the young gen/buyers/renters.
                    Prices collapse, then remaining young get DEALS.

Old age but desire still here for many around me. Farming is so physically EASY, but getting complex/riskier/stressful. 20-40,000 acre Corps/families are very busy, need to watch burning out. And all this works till it doesn't. So many people, so many opinions can ruin it all. Bodies in seats is real difficult when all RETIRED old guys are used up.
                    Last edited by fjlip; Oct 1, 2020, 13:05.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                      If you need help to build a trap line, mine worked for me to catch a lifer. Just let me know I will do what I can for you.
                      So I can...... catch your wife?

Maybe she wants to move out of town and back to the country!

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                        You're very confident, some of us are just one bad weekend away from changing that.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          I figured, what better way to gauge the biggest issues facing farmers, than to read through the most popular posts on an ag marketing forum.
                          Here is what I have concluded are the most important issues, in no specific order.
                          Systemic racism
                          Donald Trump
                          Renewable energy
                          Donald Trump
                          Cures for Covid
                          Donald Trump
                          Global Warming
                          Donald Trump
                          Irrigation
                          WHO
                          Donald Trump
                          Sea level rise (that is a big one here on the prairies)
                          Donald Trump
                          BLM
                          Donald Trump
                          Finding a husband for Blaithin
                          Donald Trump
                          UN (I get this one being on the list
                          Donald Trump's taxes
                          Demise of the CWB
                          Did I miss anything?
                          yes a set of BIG tits for BW so FCC will look at him
                          good post , the donald has definitely violated a couple on here

Comment

The rising average age of farmers today is related to the collapse in interest rates. As land prices continue in an upward trajectory it becomes harder and harder for any farmer to pass the land on to the next generation unless they are willing to hand it over for at a substantial discount.

Again, this relates back to the collapse in interest rates. A retired farmers needs a substantially larger nest egg to assure a comfortable retirement than was the case twenty or thirty years ago thanks to term deposits that now yield near zero.

When so much uncertainty surrounding retirement abounds, it is little wonder than older farmers prefer to cash out and tell the kids to stick to a day job.

Comment

no one with a even half of a brainin their fu,ckin heads ca make any sense outta that ????
                              then that f,kn kenney ships them propane and kisses their ass

Comment

Really? That’s so popular it makes the list?!
                                Gloryholes.... Dont for get that.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.