• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Stand back and stand by': Trump's muddled reply when asked to condemn white supremac

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Stand back and stand by': Trump's muddled reply when asked to condemn white supremac

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/trump-deflects-debate-question-about-whether-he-condemns-white-supremacists https://nationalpost.com/news/world/trump-deflects-debate-question-about-whether-he-condemns-white-supremacists

President Donald Trump deflected an opportunity to condemn white supremacists during Tuesday’s presidential debate, briefly telling one group to “stand back and stand by” before pivoting to attacking left-wing activists.

During a segment on race relations, moderator Chris Wallace asked Trump if he was willing to denounce “white supremacists and militia groups” and tell them to stand down, rather than add to the violence that has marred anti-racism protests in some U.S. cities.
    'Stand back and stand by': Trump's muddled reply when asked to condemn white supremacists during debate

Multiple senior federal officials, including at the FBI and Department of Homeland Security this month, have warned that white supremacist groups pose a rising threat of violence in the United States.

Trump on Tuesday initially replied by blaming “the left wing” for violence, before saying he was “willing to do anything.”

“Then do it, sir,” Wallace said, as Biden added: “Do it, say it.”

“What do you want to call them? Give me a name,” Trump said, prompting Biden to mention the Proud Boys, an organization that describes itself as a club of “Western chauvinists” but has been categorized as a hate group by the nonprofit Southern Poverty Law Center.

“Proud Boys, stand back and stand by,” Trump said, before immediately pivoting. “But I’ll tell you what, somebody’s got to do something about antifa.”

'You're the worst president America has ever had': Donald Trump and Joe Biden clash in chaotic debate

Antifa, which stands for anti-fascist, is a largely unstructured, far-left movement whose followers broadly aim to confront those they view as authoritarian or racist.

At least one Proud Boy organizer, Joe Biggs, celebrated the group’s mention on the social media platform Parler, saying: “President Trump told the proud boys to stand by because someone needs to deal with ANTIFA…well sir! we’re ready!!” according to screenshots posted by a New York Times reporter on Twitter.

Biden’s running mate, Senator Kamala Harris, said on MSNBC following the debate, “What we saw was a dog whistle through a bull horn.”

Trump’s response also drew criticism from some social justice leaders.

Jonathan Greenblatt, the chief executive of the Anti-Defamation League, on Twitter called Trump’s response “astonishing.”

“Trying to determine if this was an answer or an admission. @POTUS owes America an apology or an explanation. Now,” Greenblatt wrote, tagging Trump’s official presidential Twitter handle.

Sister Simone Campbell, the executive director of the NETWORK Catholic Lobby for Social Justice, said in a statement, “I am appalled at President Trump’s refusal to condemn white nationalists,”

Biden has often said he decided to run for president after white supremacists attacked counter-protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017, and Trump said there were “fine people on both sides.”

While Trump has sought to distance himself from that comment, he has also been accused of downplaying the threat of white supremacists, even as his own administration has warned of the danger.
    You might also be interested in…

Donald managed to confirm he supports white supremacists in the debate. Now he is promoting vigilante violence from white supremacists!

Wow! A president who is running on the law order ticket promoting lawless and vigilante white supremacist groups!

And I don't support violent protesters on either side. Peaceful protest is the way forward!

Comment

Are you supposed to debate the moderator?

Comment

A Fox moderator no less. Yeah the debate was poor. I don't know why they dont just turn on and off the mike to shut up debaters. Trump wouldn't agree to that!

Trump is a bully. Wallace told Trump 53 times to stop interrupting! Biden did it too. But to a much lesser extent. Trump wanted Biden to have no airtime by interrupting continuously.

But it is clear how Trump feels about white supremacists and vigilantes!

"Multiple senior federal officials, including at the FBI and Department of Homeland Security this month, have warned that white supremacist groups pose a rising threat of violence in the United States."[
        Last edited by chuckChuck; Sep 30, 2020, 07:14.

Comment

The thing about debates sometime true feeling slip out that may otherwise not have been said.We all remember how Harpers True stock Canadians comment went over with Voters.

Comment

Where are all the Trump supporters this morning? What happened? Are they hiding under the "dont feed the troll' suggestion. LOL

I think the real reason is Trump left supporters after the debate with not much to support or defend!

Especially with his dog whistle to the white supremacist vigilantes getting big air time! It's hard to defend law and order when you say "stand by vigilantes"! LOL

That and he managed to repeat his lie about voter fraud, sowing distrust of the US democracy. Many Americans are feeling pretty low by now.

Comment

Trump blew it last night. He had to say, “American people’s fundamental rights are inshrined in the constitution and it is my responsibility to protect those rights. If something is going amiss, I have to hunt down the reason and fix the problem.” What a horrible debate - a waste of a perfectly good evening.

Comment

I wouldnt be surprised if Biden wins now. Trump blew it

Iceman out

Comment

It doesn’t matter if you’re for trump or against him the line has to be drawn when he incited violence if he doesn’t win the election. How do you tell a 70 year old to grow up. Biden did a decent job from what I heard on the radio broadcast. There s no way anyone can debate trump because there is no substance to his thinking. He thought the bully approach that shocked his republican apponents last time would still work. It only will work with his base that I think he’s losing. But he still might win everyone is looking at the overall percentage lead for Biden but that’s not how it’s won it’s the electoral college that is counted.
                  The criminals burning and looting in the cities representing black lives matter are actually going to lose the election for Biden.
                  Last edited by the big wheel; Sep 30, 2020, 10:32.

Comment

Unrest after the election would be bad for everyone. Sporting good stores are short on ammunition and guns. That is a bad sign. Without a peaceful transition in the biggest democracy in the world we are in big trouble. Standby?

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
                      I wouldn't be surprised if Biden wins now. Trump blew it

Iceman out
                      I disagree. He showed what his followers absolutely love. Rudeness and bullying authority with a dash of white supremacy. Ok maybe a big dash.

This is absolutely worth watching. Note the date, 2015. Every time he speaks, analyze accordingly.

BTW Biden called Trump a clown twice, I fact checked that and found it to be indeed true.

Comment

Were all laughing that Biden is running for President of the US and shud be running for President of the old folks home. We got bigger problems than worrying about phobics and racists and any other phucktard idea u lefty’s come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
                          Were all laughing that Biden is running for President of the US and shud be running for President of the old folks home. We got bigger problems than worrying about phobics and racists and any other phucktard idea u lefty’s come up with.
                          A guy with dementia made more sense than a guy with a big mouth and small brain. Not to mention what an embarrassment the president of rhe United States so worried about losing that he’s already saying what? That the USA is a banana republic can’t conduct an election. Guys a freak show. The only thing he has going for him is rhe black lives matter criminals have hijacked that groups representation and they need to be jailed or stopped.

Biden missed many opportunities though
                          Should have asked trump how much Mexico paid for the wall, where did trump serve in any war, what type of orange perm costs 70,000 a year, does Putin have a big weiner, at least i(Biden) didn’t have my dad buy my school diploma and I wrote my own exams there was so many missed and more.

Comment

About sums up how meaningless some of these threads are on here

Comment

Kind of like a rational person coming in after the last intermission of a Jerry Springer show and talk some sense into the guest.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...