Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

SASKFARMER's Avatar Sep 24, 2020 | 06:16 1 Not a bad week if I say so my self.

We should be exactly at 30% left tonight or exactly where we were last year when the snow rain snow rain sun sun harvest rain started.

Most wheat is done in our area with yields respectful but below the last few years by up to 30%

Our late last 7 quarters will be interesting as it did catch a shower later in the season.

Flax harvest has started but since no killer frost yet cutting is interesting. Yields are down.

Oats harvest has started yields all over the place but way lower than last few years.

Barley is all but done and the malt game is upon us. Early results are we did ok.

Peas are all done and most sold or now that price is back to what it was earlier they are going on the second run.

Canola the harvest of sadness as the heat and drought did take its toll. It's a bumper if it was 1971. No 1971 was actually better. Price has nosedived so must have been one post on Twitter with a yield monitor. The basis is also insane for not just now but Jan and out. They want over a dollar a bushel basis. Funny No countries want to buy cheap and sell to china this year. Yield is realistically 30% or higher lower than in previous years. Canola needs rain to end and cooler days.

Rain this week on Sunday night and yesterday morning. It's still the year of the 1/10 as that's all she really did.

Stay safe and the truth will slowly squeak out. Most are now saying an average crop. I wish the reporting was better in Canada. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 24, 2020 | 07:47 2 We put a wrap on 2020 this past weekend. Just over 6" of rain since Apr 1st, held us with yields average to below, and that was because our soil profile was 100% full last spring. Now we're completely tapped out, dry, dry, dry! Looking to the sky everyday for rain, would've gladly took an inch or two in the middle of harvest, just to get some moisture back in the ground. 2021 looking pretty bleak right now.
    We're an established farm so will be locking up the bins for the near term, need a price bump to make up some of the yield reduction. Glad we didn't pre contract, we just couldn't, not knowing were our yields would end up this year. Basis are indeed insane and are signaling me to wait for pricing. We can wait.
    Last edited by beaverdam; Sep 24, 2020 at 07:56.

• Sep 24, 2020 | 07:58 3
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverdam View Post
    We put a wrap on 2020 this past weekend. Just over 6" of rain since Apr 1st, held us with yields average to below, and that was because our soil profile was 100% full last spring. Now we're completely tapped out, dry, dry, dry! Looking to the sky everyday for rain, would've gladly took an inch or two in the middle of harvest, just to get some moisture back in the ground. 2021 looking pretty bleak right now.
    Don't tell people ....let it become a crisis so farm leaders and politicians can pat themselves on the back..for doing what they are paid to do everyday...while I understand the carbon tax issues...having yields off 30 percent is a bit of a revenue hit as well and you won't see any help from any BRM program....

And use up your agriinvest before you ask for help...sarcasm... Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 08:05 4 We are edging in on 45%. Yesterday picked up a rock with my straight cut header that bent the drive roller on the center canvas, cost me a few hours. As I have said before the crops looked much better from the road, for that matter from the sprayer seat.

We have been doing wheat the last few days, Penhold and Crossfield CPS. Widely varying yields from 65 in one field to just under 80 in another. These 2 fields were only a mile and a half apart. Last years CPS yielded between 70-80 so I guess fairly similar year to year. Have to be honest I thought the wheat looked better this year.

Some canola being combined hearing yields between 30-55 bpa. It seems to depend how much is drowned out to how well it yields so we will see.

All I can say is I am enjoying this years harvest weather much better than last year years so far! Reply With Quote

• Sep 24, 2020 | 08:19 5 Have to agree there , the past two falls we’re not good at all .
    All grain here in bins is dry , wheat all good grade and decent protein except one field hailed out very bad .
    Got on standing canola a few days ago , dry . Swaths just barely ready late yesterday after 1.5 in rain Sunday .

Hopefully get a few more good days before next rain . Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 08:21 6 I will take anyone's rain that isn't wanted. Reply With Quote

• Sep 24, 2020 | 08:23 7 Us too! Take 2 inches of rain to fill the cracks! Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 24, 2020 | 08:27 8 Actually we needed rain as well , canola was getting too dry .
    Canola back up to 9-11 moisture Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 08:39 9
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    I will take anyone's rain that isn't wanted.
    Farmaholic I’ve been trying to send you rain all summer. It always came back “return to sender” a few days later though. We’re at almost a week since the last shower........... running on borrowed time probably now.

Hopefully everyone gets what they need. I’d like an order of sunshine and a side of breeze. 🍀 Reply With Quote

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Sep 24, 2020 | 09:15 10 Well our canola is a lot lower than 10. Yes it’s bone dry.

Working fields of pea stubble down. Sealing cracks up like Australia with the Kelly.

Oh **** Trudeau and all liberals. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 24, 2020 | 09:35 11 Hopefully finish the standing canola today
    Got corn silage plots to do with 6 varieties that should be interesting 👍
    Corn 🌽 dried down very fast after last heavy frost
    My buddies corn down to 62 ish moisture already .
    Then hopefully get into decent canola that had very little hail Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 09:41 12 Ohhh , and environmental Canada says ...

But reality says ...,
    Sep 24, 2020 | 11:41 13
    Quote Originally Posted by woodland View Post
    Farmaholic I’ve been trying to send you rain all summer. It always came back “return to sender” a few days later though. We’re at almost a week since the last shower........... running on borrowed time probably now.

Hopefully everyone gets what they need. I’d like an order of sunshine and a side of breeze. 🍀
    We need weather contract "swaps". Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 11:44 14 We rented this unit for 50 hrs this fall
    Neat tractor to run
    Cart is nice
    Both used , cart been rebuilt
    Tractor is a 450 hp , a bit small with big loads
    Tractor has been abused by previous BTO operation needs some work but very neat to run

Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 24, 2020 at 13:40.
  • 1 Like

• Sep 24, 2020 | 11:47 15 What's with European tractors and red rims, Fendt too. Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 13:05 16
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    What's with European tractors and red rims, Fendt too.
    Ya not sure 🤔 Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 13:06 17 First few passes 17-18 to / ac ...
    Sep 24, 2020 | 14:02 18 Hot, windy, perfect day for combining wheat, and we sit with DEF problems....16% to go.... Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 14:03 19 I know it’s a Deere but beggars can’t be choosers lol ..
    Sep 24, 2020 | 14:04 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Herc View Post
    Hot, windy, perfect day for combining wheat, and we sit with DEF problems....16% to go....
    They can take DEF and shove it
    Neighbour down as well ... rain coming in two days again ... crazy Reply With Quote
  • 3 Likes

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Sep 24, 2020 | 15:42 21 Moving back to late wheat before the rain event.

• 1 Like

• Sep 24, 2020 | 16:35 22
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    Moving back to late wheat before the rain event.

Are they big improvement on previous s series.
    D****r front way better? Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 16:39 23 What the heck d r a p e r blocked out by admin? Unreal.

Auto block i should say not admin.

We had 10 to 12 mm last night we are almost home on track for 2 to 2.5 t ha wheat and barley

1 to 1.3 t ha canola

Lupind beans vetch 1.2 to 1.5 t ha.

Despite fallingvworld prices this week it actually edged higher locally.

Thats my crop report darn cold though 16 c today doing stock work chance if showers. Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 16:47 24
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    We rented this unit for 50 hrs this fall
    Neat tractor to run
    Cart is nice
    Both used , cart been rebuilt
    Tractor is a 450 hp , a bit small with big loads
    Tractor has been abused by previous BTO operation needs some work but very neat to run

Is there enough tire with those singles for 450 🐎? The tracked carts would be way better than those that have the big tires? Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 17:01 25 Standing hailed barley not testable. Non hailed, 18%. 70% humidity, cloudy all day. Maybe tomorrow. Swathed canola is 15. Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 18:27 26
    Quote Originally Posted by sk_wheatking View Post
    Is there enough tire with those singles for 450 🐎? The tracked carts would be way better than those that have the big tires?
    No , not enough tire On tractor
    Tracked cart is very good Reply With Quote
    Sep 24, 2020 | 19:09 27
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    I know it’s a Deere but beggars can’t be choosers lol ..
    Curious what your cobs look like?

Very impressed with how they turned out here this year. And the height is 7-10 feet as well. That late heat wave made something of it. Before that you could see the volunteer canola in it from the road😉

The moo moos should be happy this winter. Reply With Quote
    Partners's Avatar Sep 24, 2020 | 19:24 28 Done drying wht.
    Only 5000 wet bushels this yr.
    Bonus.
    Tank hooked up ready for fall fert oct 1st.. Reply With Quote

• Sep 24, 2020 | 19:38 29
    Quote Originally Posted by woodland View Post
    Curious what your cobs look like?

Very impressed with how they turned out here this year. And the height is 7-10 feet as well. That late heat wave made something of it. Before that you could see the volunteer canola in it from the road😉

The moo moos should be happy this winter.
    About 70% of that
    That’s nice cobs there ... 👍🌽 Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Sep 24, 2020 | 21:11 30 Still swathing here and harvest is progressing nicely.

This quarter has a lot of quackgrass and that has been making it a lot of “fun”. Didn’t want to bale the straw but need to nuke the grass and the straw will be too thick if we chop it. Probably 3 bale an acre like most of the other fields so far.

The bred heifers are content for now but are eyeing up corn north of them, alfalfa to the south, and the stubble I’m cutting as soon as the bales get made and picked. Hopefully the weather holds as there’s a bunch of pretty second cut almost ready to bale. The first load of dry barley came off today and that’s nice for a change.

Good luck everyone. 🍀 Reply With Quote