• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Canada, Unifor reach tentative deal that includes $2B in EV contracts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
    F U C K Chuck , I do,my newest 4WD tractor is 12 years old and my oldest one is 39 so don't tell me about old equipment.
    I have a 50 hp tractor that is over 50 years old but it doesn't do my seeding anymore! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      Automation my friend. Robots are taking over! Haha Do you still use the same tractor from 30 years ago for your larger farm which requires less labour per acre?
      So Chuck first you are bragging about the new contracts with Ford to build electric vehicles and all the Jobs it will create but now you say it will be done with robots! So which is it?!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        You should save the world and be the first in line .....
        Would go good with the imaginary solar panels

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
          So Chuck first you are bragging about the new contracts with Ford to build electric vehicles and all the Jobs it will create but now you say it will be done with robots! So which is it?!?!?!
          Both humans and Automation robots obviously! You can do better Hamloc!

Comment

Automation my friend. Robots are taking over! Haha Do you still use the same tractor from 30 years ago for your larger farm which requires less labour per acre?
            Yup , I do and so do many others
            We still use the original case 9270 to pull the Horsch 40 ft planter . It seeded about 3400 ac this year again . Just at added an Atom Jet hydraulic kit and good to go
            We can cover the same ac per day with this unit as a 75 ft new million dollar drill with a 600 hp new tractor . 40Ft at 7.5 to 8 mph covers a lot of ground when only filling liquid phos twice a day for under 10 min

There are many other on here with similar situations.
            Still want to be an ass and generalize 90% of the good hard working farmers on here ?

Comment

Yup , I do and so do many others
              We still use the original case 9270 to pull the Horsch 40 ft planter . It seeded about 3400 ac this year again . Just at added an Atom Jet hydraulic kit and good to go
              We can cover the same ac per day with this unit as a 75 ft new million dollar drill with a 600 hp new tractor . 40Ft at 7.5 to 8 mph covers a lot of ground when only filling liquid phos twice a day for under 10 min

There are many other on here with similar situations.
              Still want to be an ass and generalize 90% of the good hard working farmers on here ?

Doing P501 yesterday, planted at 2.2 lbs / ac running 55-60 . Not bad for using an old 1993 tractor ........

Comment

Good for you. I use lots of older equipment too. It’s easier to fix and lower cost. But that doesn’t mean many jobs in manufacturing aren’t being lost to automation! Ford has committed to lots of jobs in Ontario and will no doubt use lots of automation As well.

Comment

Good for you. I use lots of older equipment too. It’s easier to fix and lower cost. But that doesn’t mean many jobs in manufacturing aren’t being lost to automation! Ford has committed to lots of jobs in Ontario and will no doubt use lots of automation As well.
                  Yup they are , but do you get the picture ? Lol

Comment

Both humans and Automation robots obviously! You can do better Hamloc!
                    The fact of the matter Chuck the article states that the number of people employed at the plant will go from 4250 to 3000. You were talking up new jobs building EV’s, well it looks to me like less jobs, the only thing I can conclude is that in your world a robot is an employee!!

Comment

Hamloc if you and your like minded friends on Agrisilly had a been negotiating with your negative attitude towards new technology, we would have probably ended up with no jobs! LOL

Ford is investing significant amounts in Canada to build EVs for a growing market. And the Feds and Ontario apparently gave them some incentives to make it happen just like every other country and region is doing to get auto manufacturing jobs and all you do is complain?

The amount that Ontario and the Feds gave is a fraction of what Alberta gives away in low royalties and subsidies to the oil industry every year! Whaaat!

Many posters praise Trump for trying to bring investment and jobs back to the US but when Ford and Trudeau do it, all we hear is a lot BS!

How do you spell hypocrites? LMAO
                      Last edited by chuckChuck; Sep 27, 2020, 08:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                        The fact of the matter Chuck the article states that the number of people employed at the plant will go from 4250 to 3000. You were talking up new jobs building EV’s, well it looks to me like less jobs, the only thing I can conclude is that in your world a robot is an employee!!
                        Most of that is because you don't need as many people to work on a battery and electric motor. No emissions department, no cooling system department, no exhaust department, no oil management department, no fluids level dipstick department, no....

The Chevy Volt has 24 moving parts, the VW Golf has 149. So yes, that takes a lot less people.

The less people doesn't stop there. Less rig pigs, truckers, refinery operators, pipeline dudes, truckers, water trucks dumping sludge, fuel delivery, gas station attendants, gas pump design/installation/maintenance.

Instead you have a panel and a quick charge plug. It costs about 1/3 in electricity today vs the same km in petrol.

Last edited by tweety; Sep 27, 2020, 08:37.

Comment

Too bad the world couldnt be powered on your feelings and misconceptions.

But in reality mathematics is the master and this is why renewables will never be more than a curiosity.

https://economics21.org/inconvenient-realities-new-energy-economy Inconvenient Energy Realities

Renewables will never power it, our installed generation is a fraction of what is needed to even start down this path and our current grid would need an entire overhaul to deliver it. 3 teslas taking 2 days to charge on a street would kick out the grid to brownouts and blackouts. Period.

There is nothing else to talk about until CANDUs get installed in every city. But dream on.

Comment

Jazz, you better call Ford and tell them to stop making the F150 and and all the other EVs cause its not going to work! Doug Ford don't sign that deal! LMAO

Comment

Probably because not much will be manufactured here, all major componenents will be outsourced:
                              “It gives us the ability to access the latest technology and innovation across multiple suppliers,” Thai-Tang said. “So I know exactly what the state of the art is from the Korean suppliers, the Japanese suppliers, the Chinese suppliers, and I’m able to compare notes across them maybe better than they can. And then, of course, we have the competitive tension with dealing with multiple suppliers, which allows us to drive the cost down.”
                              Ford doesn't sound really confident in the future o EV's, or current battery tech:

Thai-Tang noted that Ford would have to produce 100,000-150,000 EVs each year to justify the cost of building its own battery plant. Such a move would also cause problems when battery technology inevitably reaches a new breakthrough point, or if customer demand for electric vehicles falters in the future
                              Almost none of the EV components are manuactured in North America. Just like Hamloc keeps pointing out about solar and wind, where we import all of the components.
                              What’s more, 64 percent of the fully electric Bolt model’s content is made in Korea, including the battery.
                              No major automaker entirely outsources engines, in no small part thanks to displacement and horsepower being the source of marketing buzz and bragging rights for decades. EVs are a different story -- even Tesla relies heavily on Japan’s Panasonic Corp. in the making of its battery packs.

Batteries -- the single most expensive part of an electric vehicle -- are almost exclusively manufactured overseas and mostly by companies relatively new to the automotive powertrain, such as China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. and South Korea’s SK Innovation Co.
                              On the other hand, the unions are mad about EV's, so they can't be all bad.
                              https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/auto-workers-fear-evs-will-be-job-killers https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/auto-workers-fear-evs-will-be-job-killers

Comment

So A5 you don't support innovation and new technology because workers might lose their jobs and have to retrain for others?

That's an interesting proposition coming from a farmer who is in an industry that has continually lost farmers and workers adopting newer, larger and much more labour efficient machinery for decades!

No doubt EVs are going to require less workers at all stages of production and implementation. Less moving parts, simpler, cleaner, quieter and more efficient.

Probably smart phones caused a lot of jobs to be lost as well. But we are not going to roll back to landlines and party lines just to hire more workers anytime soon are we? LOL

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.