NFU Still Undermining Agriculture

Commodity Marketing

Tools

NFU Still Undermining Agriculture

Sep 22, 2020 | 07:49 1 In CBC article this morning, Glenn Wright from Vanscoy, (just out of Saskatoon) is interviewed because he wrote a letter for intervener status in Carbon Tax Supreme Court Challenge. He stands in front of his 1960 faded out International white cab telling all of Canada that he is more open-minded and he thinks the carbon tax is actually an opportunity not a cost. He drys his grain with an electric heater supplemented with solar panels. This got my day off to a great start now that my perspective has been corrected. 😝 This country is so screwed up.
Last edited by sumdumguy; Sep 22, 2020 at 07:52.
Reply With Quote
  • 3 Likes


  • Sep 22, 2020 | 07:54 2
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    In CBC article this morning, Glenn Wright from Vanscoy, (just out of Saskatoon) is interviewed because he wrote a letter for intervener status in Carbon Tax Supreme Court Challenge. He stands in front of his 1960 faded out International white cab telling all of Canada that he is more open-minded and he thinks the carbon tax is actually an opportunity not a cost. He drys his grain with an electric heater supplemented with solar panels. This got my day off to a great start now that my perspective has been corrected. 😝 This country is so screwed up.
    Lol him and Chuck be besties Reply With Quote

  • blackpowder's Avatar Sep 22, 2020 | 08:09 3 If the economic theory and agricultural vision held by many come to pass, that's exactly how you're going to dry grain.
    Spend a portion of your reading time on it. Reply With Quote
    Sep 22, 2020 | 08:09 4 Yeah saw that too. Where pray tell, does his electricity come from to dry his grain? Lol. Says he has a solar panel, to ‘offset the cost’.

    They make it seem like it is a battleground issue. Yeah, no. Reply With Quote
    Sep 22, 2020 | 08:50 5 Is this a former NDP politicians partner? Theses NFU/NDP characters and their families sure seem to get interviewed lots by CBC and presented as a “typical” farmer.

    In other words he does drying using coal powered electricity to run aeration fans. Any heat added to fans would involve diesel, propane or NG.
    LOL.....solar panels drying grain. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Sep 22, 2020 | 09:59 6 If solar panels work so good for drying grain. Why didn’t he just wait a day or two and combine it dry? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Sep 22, 2020 | 10:02 7
    Quote Originally Posted by TASFarms View Post
    If solar panels work so good for drying grain. Why didn’t he just wait a day or two and combine it dry?
    Was thinking the exact same thing...last fall proved it wouldn't work.... Reply With Quote
    Sep 22, 2020 | 10:02 8
    Quote Originally Posted by TASFarms View Post
    If solar panels work so good for drying grain. Why didn’t he just wait a day or two and combine it dry?
    Simply getting media attention to push a feel good story Reply With Quote
    Sep 22, 2020 | 10:54 9 Burn some grain or better yet, clean your grain, run the screenings through a gassifiers, presto carbon free heat. Plus you're trucking less garbage so burning less fuel on the road, plus you get away from the carbon tax.


    $65,000 buys you a gassifier big enough to dry grain or heat your entire farm Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Sep 22, 2020 | 12:20 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Burn some grain or better yet, clean your grain, run the screenings through a gassifiers, presto carbon free heat. Plus you're trucking less garbage so burning less fuel on the road, plus you get away from the carbon tax.


    $65,000 buys you a gassifier big enough to dry grain or heat your entire farm
    Great idea if you already have a grain cleaner set up 👍
    If not add $300,000 to $500,000 to set up a decent cleaner to handle the crop on an average size farm .
    Easy to say , not so easy to pay for and justify for most average farms with no multimillion dollar side business helping out farm expenses

    Custom grain cleaners are $.75/bus now
    That needs to be factored in

    We actually looked into it but the overall cost way too high for our farm for the minimum savings .... at the time .
    Maybe some day , but we need more consistent harvests here and growing seasons to get back to decent returns for the crops we grow
    The past two years with very poor harvest in this area due to extremely early snowfalls and early frosts does not leave much left on the table for extra projects
    Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 22, 2020 at 13:20.
    Reply With Quote
    Sep 22, 2020 | 12:32 11
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    In CBC article this morning, Glenn Wright from Vanscoy, (just out of Saskatoon) is interviewed because he wrote a letter for intervener status in Carbon Tax Supreme Court Challenge. He stands in front of his 1960 faded out International white cab telling all of Canada that he is more open-minded and he thinks the carbon tax is actually an opportunity not a cost. He drys his grain with an electric heater supplemented with solar panels. This got my day off to a great start now that my perspective has been corrected. 😝 This country is so screwed up.
    something about the name "glen" ????? Reply With Quote

  • Sep 22, 2020 | 12:35 12 [QUOTE=Oliver88;466311]Is this a former NDP politicians partner? Theses NFU/NDP characters and their families sure seem to get interviewed lots by CBC and presented as a “typical” farmer.

    In other words he does drying using coal powered electricity to run aeration fans. Any heat added to fans would involve diesel, propane or NG.
    LOL.....solar panels drying grain.
    absolutely amazing how stupid they are ? and they regurgitate this puke shit
    Last edited by caseih; Sep 22, 2020 at 12:37.
    Reply With Quote
    Sep 22, 2020 | 12:37 13
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Great idea if you already have a grain cleaner set up 👍
    If not add $300,000 to $500,000 to set up a decent cleaner to handle the crop on an average size farm .
    Easy to say , not so easy to pay for and justify for most average farms with no multimillion dollar side business helping out farm expenses

    Custom grain cleaners are $.75/bus now
    That needs to be factored in
    well shit furrow , most farmers need a tax write off right about now , with this huge, huge canola crop and all* Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Sep 22, 2020 | 12:44 14
    Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
    well shit furrow , most farmers need a tax write off right about now , with this huge, huge canola crop and all*
    Lol yup , everyone has 60/70 bus canola , 80 bus wheat , 180 bus oats ....... nothing but money floating around everywhere lol Reply With Quote
    Sep 22, 2020 | 12:53 15 Where is it? I want some. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Sep 22, 2020 | 13:22 16 So it appears CBC simply ran the story to support the Trudeau carbon tax and found a useful group of idiots with the NFU. The agriculture sector and most sane provincial governments and groups are appealing the carbon tax at the Supreme Court currently.

    Nothing like the NFU stabbing all farmers in the back. Reply With Quote

  • Sep 22, 2020 | 14:00 17 And where are the conservatives MPs that get the majority of their support from farmers.....just thumbing themselves it looks like....

    There is close to 3 million tonnes of floating space out west and no one says SFA.... Reply With Quote
    Sep 22, 2020 | 14:25 18 Still No F$&@?%# Use Reply With Quote
    Sep 22, 2020 | 19:34 19
    Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    And where are the conservatives MPs that get the majority of their support from farmers.....just thumbing themselves it looks like....

    There is close to 3 million tonnes of floating space out west and no one says SFA....
    Because it isn't effecting farmers Ritz set it up so grain companies pay any charges or dumurage. Profits show up in the basis.
    Last edited by walterm; Sep 22, 2020 at 19:38.
    Reply With Quote
    Sep 23, 2020 | 09:09 20
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Great idea if you already have a grain cleaner set up 👍
    If not add $300,000 to $500,000 to set up a decent cleaner to handle the crop on an average size farm .
    Easy to say , not so easy to pay for and justify for most average farms with no multimillion dollar side business helping out farm expenses

    Custom grain cleaners are $.75/bus now
    That needs to be factored in

    We actually looked into it but the overall cost way too high for our farm for the minimum savings .... at the time .
    Maybe some day , but we need more consistent harvests here and growing seasons to get back to decent returns for the crops we grow
    The past two years with very poor harvest in this area due to extremely early snowfalls and early frosts does not leave much left on the table for extra projects


    We use a quikkleen, granted we have a leg so it's permanently mounted but it pulls screenings out as crops go in at the speed trucks dump. I believe they are $40,000 or so. Reply With Quote
    Sep 23, 2020 | 09:36 21
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    We use a quikkleen, granted we have a leg so it's permanently mounted but it pulls screenings out as crops go in at the speed trucks dump. I believe they are $40,000 or so.
    So do you get 0 dockage when you sell and better basis because they don't have to clean it? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Sep 23, 2020 | 09:39 22
    Quote Originally Posted by walterm View Post
    So do you get 0 dockage when you sell and better basis because they don't have to clean it?
    Thats a funny question...I had extra seed durum and they still found 0.7 to deduct...Spend 40000 and do the work for the graincos....sounds like a winning proposition for the graincos...

    At a minimum of 1 percent dockage the math says it would take a long time to pay for....and after 500000 bushels it's worn out....if it makes it that long....

    I am thinking of a guy who bought a dryer last year....$250000 invested in something that may not be used for years....a 40000 tonne elevator with 8 turns can't justify a dryer ....why should a farmer...
    Last edited by bucket; Sep 23, 2020 at 09:53.
    Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Sep 23, 2020 | 09:55 23 I use our dryer every year. Some more some less. So far this year only 10000 bus

    It’s a investment Reply With Quote
    Sep 23, 2020 | 09:58 24
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    I use our dryer every year. Some more some less. So far this year only 10000 bus

    It’s a investment
    Yes but you are in a different climate with big yields and shorter periods of harvest....

    Out this way a guy would have to go at 18 moisture and even then , the crop could be 12 moisture by the time he finishe's 1000 acres... Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Sep 23, 2020 | 10:02 25 Old dryer ran 41 years on this farm, was $12000 new, 1986 dried EVERY bushel, paid for dozens of times since then. Dry harvest is the minority of years on this spot on earth. Reply With Quote
    Sep 23, 2020 | 10:17 26
    Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    Thats a funny question...I had extra seed durum and they still found 0.7 to deduct...Spend 40000 and do the work for the graincos....sounds like a winning proposition for the graincos...

    At a minimum of 1 percent dockage the math says it would take a long time to pay for....and after 500000 bushels it's worn out....if it makes it that long....

    I am thinking of a guy who bought a dryer last year....$250000 invested in something that may not be used for years....a 40000 tonne elevator with 8 turns can't justify a dryer ....why should a farmer...

    And that is exactly why the CGC was started in the interest of producers to monitor and enforce regulations. Why do farmers want to destroy it instead of giving it more power and avenues to ensure the Act is followed for fair deals? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Sep 23, 2020 | 10:22 27
    Quote Originally Posted by walterm View Post
    And that is exactly why the CGC was started in the interest of producers to monitor and enforce regulations. Why do farmers want to destroy it instead of giving it more power and avenues to ensure the Act is followed for fair deals?
    Call me stupid but drying cleaning and storage should be at the rail .....

    The cost of bins some guys have put up would easily pay to keep a Super B on the road every day delivering grain....and instead they build graincos infrastructure.... Reply With Quote
    Sep 23, 2020 | 14:56 28 It’s a bloody shame the NFU gets the ear of the media especially the CBC every time there’s an ag issue. Their stance would not represent 1/5 of agricultural producers. Maybe the rest of the producer groups should join forces and make up a name with Union at the end (Real Farmers Union, We’re not old NDP hacks Farmers Union). Just a thought. Reply With Quote

  • Sep 23, 2020 | 16:31 29 Just call the new org Farmers Union. Acronym would be FU. I can see the headline now, "Famers tired of Liberal government say FU". Reply With Quote

  • Sep 23, 2020 | 17:35 30
    Quote Originally Posted by WiltonRanch View Post
    It’s a bloody shame the NFU gets the ear of the media especially the CBC every time there’s an ag issue. Their stance would not represent 1/5 of agricultural producers. Maybe the rest of the producer groups should join forces and make up a name with Union at the end (Real Farmers Union, We’re not old NDP hacks Farmers Union). Just a thought.
    Ritz set up producer commissions with check off $ then they have joined umbrella orgs together. How many more do you need. Then there is the WCWGA that has a finger on the pulse of the whole industry and speaks for every farmer. Reply With Quote