• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is our info gifted to the industry?????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is our info gifted to the industry?????

So in the last saskatchewan crop report they reported yields....why? and who is giving them permission to publish their yields and why?

If I give that info to crop insurance I don't think its supposed to be made public .

I know they will say its an aggregation of everybody's info but is it supposed to be made public?

I can say for certain the graincos don't give out any of their info the same way farmers info is taken for granted....

Why do farmers and those that represent us think its OK to publish yields for the world without getting something in return ?

Just something to talk about on a damp Sunday....

So the cargills adm ldc etc don’t do crop tours pre harvest and during?

There always scouting around in Australia might see each of em twice a year walking paddocks etc.

Real different thinking between us guys here , like grain cos almost the enemy to you guys not same phsyce here. Ultimately you have to sell to grain co be it multi national end user or another farmer.

Tallied up buyers for this harvest at moment it’s either 173 or 183 .
    Last edited by malleefarmer; Sep 20, 2020, 17:51.

Comment

Look at that, a marketing thread and no comments.

No one can dream up any conspiracy theories for this?

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post

There always scouting around in Australia might see each of em twice a year walking paddocks etc.

Real different thinking between us guys here , like grain cos almost the enemy to you guys not same phsyce here. Ultimately you have to sell to grain co be it multi national end user or another farmer.

Farmers don’t realize the complexity, trials and tribulation of International marketing. Even being an elevator manager has its good days and bad days. There’s a lot more than meets the eye.

Comment

The GPS yield and moisture meters in combines is definitely collected by the manufacturers and sold to outside interests. Worse yet farmers pay to be spied on.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            Farmers don’t realize the complexity, trials and tribulation of International marketing. Even being an elevator manager has its good days and bad days. There’s a lot more than meets the eye.
            Countries issue tenders for grain and someone wins the bid....then they fill it...sales are known in the states...

In Canada no one knows sweet phuck all and no one questions the stupidity of not knowing....

Farm reps repeat ad nauseum the line about R&D as much as I bitch about transparency.... the lack of transparency costs more than the R&D...

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post

Grain buyers are not my enemy. Just a few vocal guys on here that I bet in real life aren't quite as tough.

I have a good relationship with my 2 local elevator buyers and a not very local feed mill. Try to work with them as much as possible while realizing they are out to make money also.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                Grain buyers are not my enemy. Just a few vocal guys on here that I bet in real life aren't quite as tough.

I have a good relationship with my 2 local elevator buyers and a not very local feed mill. Try to work with them as much as possible while realizing they are out to make money also.
                Some times i think im the odd one out here when it comesto my marketvthoughts thanksGDR

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post

I have a great relationship with my local....the sad part is he knows he's losing grain because he has gone three weeks without a train and guys are finished combining. ..nice weather and they can't haul in their contracts. ...or they will get cut off with only 10000 tonnes of space from the train they eventually load. ...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    I have a great relationship with my local....the sad part is he knows he's losing grain because he has gone three weeks without a train and guys are finished combining. ..nice weather and they can't haul in their contracts. ...or they will get cut off with only 10000 tonnes of space from the train they eventually load. ...
                    So what is going on? Is it the railway's decision or the grainco's?

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                      So what is going on? Is it the railway's decision or the grainco's?
                      I think it's head office of grain cos. ...but the next closest point is swift current or moose jaw....

Every elevator around here is making a push for canola ...durum and wheat on back burner....

And with the increase in price of flax they want guys to store it for a month.....

the system can brag about great movement but it's still not up to the production levels of what farmers are growing. .it's lagging...

And if the economy recovers. ..it will get worse not better....
                      Last edited by bucket; Sep 22, 2020, 06:01.

Comment

Yes it’s not just a few.

Grain companies operate in canada under the cone of silence.

It was a screw up from yes I’ll say it the previous conservative gov.

When the wheat board ended we got a better price they got never posting sales.

Wake up check out the USA you can actually figure out what they are getting paid per bushel at the coast.

Keeps them honest.

New Deere with scale in tank tells mother corp everything a bean counter needs to sell a great spread sheet.

All the big dog grain companies knew a month ago the canola crop was a shit show and had come get 10 it’s off the combine and great.

Wake up farmers it’s you vs them.

Comment

These same farmers are the ones who believe the new seed tax will work out just fine.

Comment

The problem with your farm data is that your individual farm data is virtually worthless(as a saleable commodity), but the combined information of all Saskatchewan farms is quite valuable. I don’t think individual farmers will ever be able to capitalize on the value of their personal farm data.

It’s like insurance, your personal driving history/information is of little use to an insurance actuary. But all the driving information of every driver in the province/country lets them build, price, and sell a product that makes billions worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
                              The problem with your farm data is that your individual farm data is virtually worthless(as a saleable commodity), but the combined information of all Saskatchewan farms is quite valuable. I don’t think individual farmers will ever be able to capitalize on the value of their personal farm data.

It’s like insurance, your personal driving history/information is of little use to an insurance actuary. But all the driving information of every driver in the province/country lets them build, price, and sell a product that makes billions worldwide.
                              Fair comments but as I have said before if farmers aggregate info is given out every week through the growing season ...shouldn't graincos aggregate info be public as well...

Its known in the states by the sales reports...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.