• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla Megapack

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    Maybe just the $3.3 million in taxpayer grants. But I can think of much worse ways to spend taxpayer dollars.
    Well, that is money well spent for a community so far off grid. Plus the ability to learn and innovate. With the billions given to oil and gas, this is pittance. Systems will get better and better as tech improves.

Two biggest mistakes in renewable energy:
    1. Scrap fossil and go all in with renewables. (wing nut environmentalists without a calculator, far left types, dreamers)
    2. Scrap all renewables as they can't replace fossil. (the agriville approach generally, rednecks, far right types)

The best solution - add to the grid slowly while learning and innovating moving subsidies from O&G to alternative renewable energy.

Jazz, once again, it isn't an all or nothing approach. Hybridized supplementary. Fossil fuels is a huge energy source practically free, that is what has paid for everything in our industrialized world. And is the only reason you guys farm the way you do.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
      Well, that is money well spent for a community so far off grid. Plus the ability to learn and innovate. With the billions given to oil and gas, this is pittance. Systems will get better and better as tech improves.

1. Scrap fossil and go all in with renewables. (wing nut environmentalists without a calculator, far left types, dreamers)
      2. Scrap all renewables as they can't replace fossil. (the agriville approach generally, rednecks, far right types)

The best solution - add to the grid slowly while learning and innovating moving subsidies from O&G to alternative renewable energy.

Jazz, once again, it isn't an all or nothing approach. Hybridized supplementary. Fossil fuels is a huge energy source practically free, that is what has paid for everything in our industrialized world. And is the only reason you guys farm the way you do.
      The only reason you guys farm ..... hmmm speaks volumes

BTW I agree with you post 👍
      The last part is telling though

Comment

100% in agreement.

If there is any economic case for a renewable to be supplemented over a FF system and provide some reasonable degree of stable energy contribution then great. I can get behind that.

But our politicians and green thinkers are not talking like that.

Hydrogen farm equipment, sure, but where is it and how much will it cost?

Comment

Who’s “you guys”?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            100% in agreement.

If there is any economic case for a renewable to be supplemented over a FF system and provide some reasonable degree of stable energy contribution then great. I can get behind that.

But our politicians and green thinkers are not talking like that.

Hydrogen farm equipment, sure, but where is it and how much will it cost?
            I can agree with both here
            Jazz is right , political stool pigeons are pushing this green evolution too far , and will cost us dearly until an economic sustainable replacement is readily available.
            They are all riding the world wide catastrophe idea if we don’t switch tomorrow.
            Hopefully common ground prevails

Comment

See the gross ignorance in Chuck's post #60 as an example of what I am talking about. A wholly government owned utility is mandating expanding renewables way past the point of complete grid destabilization, and shills like Chuck just repeat it ad nauseum, as if repetition is somehow going to make all the technical hurdles magically disappear.

This is the type of ignorant misinformation, and the useful idiots we are up against, and the reason why some of us make the effort to point out the absurdity and shortcomings of such wishful thinking.

Here is one hurdle, I hadn't checked ASEO for months, so I had a look this AM. Wind generation in Alberta is currently at ~7% of nameplate capacity and falling steadily all morning so far. As we pointed out last winter, it fell to zero sometimes. Solar was 0 until after 8 AM today. If grid scale battery storage existed at at cost that could be remotely competetive with fossil fuels, then these periods would be a non issue. A recent MIT study found that storage costs need to decline by a full order of magnitude to be competitive.
              As Oneoff likes to say, anything is possible if you put enough horsepower behind it. Or in this case, taxpayer dollars, and consumer extortion. Can sask reach 50% average.? Definitely. Will that reduce CO2 output, or fossil fuel consumption when it all needs to be backed up by fossil fuels? Will anyone be able to afford the electricity coming out the other end?

Comment

Too soon to buy shares in GenSet manufacturers?

Comment

A full electrical grid will only run efficiently with nuclear power to sustain millions of EV’s with help from natural gas power plants like this big one here in North Battleford
                  Dams in Canada are finished, too many First Nation and environmental red tape ... never will be feasible again ever in Canada . Cost over runs will never make them viable .
                  Until the first two are endorsed and ready the full release of EV’s will only crash our current power grid even with the minute supplemental power from solar and wind as A5 has pointed out many times .

Personally I love the idea of the new full electric ford truck. Just make a converter so I can plug er into my 220 plugs in shop ... I am all in .
                  Need Klause to figure that one out . As much as he got kinda kicked on here he is a very smart individual who could probably design a converter for on farm use to charge EV trucks

My 2 cents

Comment

Solar and wind power generation will never ever be more than just partially supplemental power source for the grid here in Canada . We need to be honest with ourselves and tell politicians to pull their heads out of their arses ... especially the Liberals in power right now .

Comment

Further to my previous post. As of now, AB wind is down to 2% of its nameplate rating. That is 0.4% of total electricity consumption in the province at present. But at least the sun is up now, and Solar is up to 0.09%.
                      If you listen to the media hype, one would think these are meaningful contributors to the grid.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                        Too soon to buy shares in GenSet manufacturers?
                        The last 3 commercial elevators built here are running everything off NG generators

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
                          The last 3 commercial elevators built here are running everything off NG generators
                          And that is why a prohibitively expensive CO2 tax is required. Any business which can't move out of the country, such as an elevator will switch to cost effective alternatives as grid supplied electricity becomes ever more expensive with the addition of "cheaper" alternatives, will attempt on site fossil fuels as an end run around the lunacy. Need a Co2 tax to make sure that option is not cost effective either.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            The only reason you guys farm ..... hmmm speaks volumes

BTW I agree with you post 👍
                            The last part is telling though
                            I'm not a farmer, thought you knew that.

BTW, today is Tesla battery day. Solid state 400 whrs/kg? Maybe? No more lithium? Exciting. Waiting eagerly.

Comment

BTW, today is Tesla battery day. Solid state 400 whrs/kg? Maybe? No more lithium? Exciting. Waiting eagerly.
                              But how’s your planter working then ?? Lol

Comment

That explains alot.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...