• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Ok, I will start this out real simple. The year is 2020 were not back in a time warp of 1980 something where a huge crop is over 50. In today's farming world we work to get a great crop, we put groceries to grow a big crop and we try our hardest to follow all the rules and regulations and hopefully with some luck it is achieved.

So by tonight, we should hit the halfway mark with Harvest 2020. Last year with the rain ever second day we only got to 2/3 done and had to do a spring harvest in 2020. South of the valley is further advanced, north of us slower due to rain events this past week. We sat Mon to Wed.

Moisture I like to get before freeze-up is about 4 inches in rain and then I don't care about the snow as all it does is fill sloughs. So 3.5 in to go.

HRS most have finished or are on the final stretch. For us, we have about 1120 acres that were seeded later and it would be just about ready to go but we switched to our Canola. Grades are a 1 and protein is anywhere from 16 down to 12.9. Yield is down about 30%.

Barley is all but done in our area and early results are back that a lot of guys are getting Malt and some will be shipped starting in two weeks. Yield is down about 20%.

Peas are done and most sold now they are back to offering $7.00 in Dec. Yield on most were down 15%.

Durum most is just getting harvested. Yields are Ok but not great and grade is great.

Flax a few tried but it's just not ready.

Canola the crop that all the experts are saying is big and now can't face the truth that a bake oven last month does not produce a bumper. Yields are down about 30 to 40%. So if your happy with 60 and got that you need to get 85 to cover the shortfall from areas not getting normal yields. More areas arent getting the yields it's just a few pockets and those the top might be 58 over the scale. Scales are fun. Prices are getting close to 12 or over and yes the grain companies sucked a lot of us in with 10 off the combine. Oh one note Don't sell the Swather as guys are going balls to the wall on swath Canola and waiting and picking here and there to find a spot or field that ready then sit. Note Swath 115 Deg and most winds are out of the NW.

Pastures are dry like Arizona dry.

Last few guys with seeded green feed are rolling up the crop and not that many bales.

So overall the numbers are coming in that its an Average crop overall, Not a Bumper that the Province and stats Canada and a private guy were bragging. Hey, I am just a farmer who travels around Sask and Manitoba and gets out and explores what's out there. But what does this stupid farmer know we have Satellite images.

Have a safe harvest as Sunday looks like Jewish holidays might create rain like they always do.

SF3 ...you have to enjoy the easier pace to this harvest...I wish they could all be like this along with some grain movement in this area would be great .....

Flax in this are that has been sprayed since September 1st is still not ready ...seeds are brown but its all tough....like 15 percent moisture...needs some good hard frosts....
    Last edited by bucket; Sep 17, 2020, 06:37.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      You fill the snow fence yet???? you lovable guy that likes to build infrastructure for graincos....

Just poking SF3 ...you have to enjoy the easier pace to this harvest...I wish they could all be like this along with some grain movement in this area would be great .....
      Killing Frost has speeded up our harvest many fields would have needed another 2 weeks to begin but there’s nothing to wait for now in some cases literally maybe just the tandem disc. Oops no till process. Lol.

Comment

Lite rain this morning.
        Only 20 acres of canola and 120 of wht left.
        Been a great run.
        Have not started the dryer yet.
        However that last wht will probably need it.
        Might as well take more money out of a worthless crop.
        Not sure how wht at any amount of bushels is worth dicking with..
        Haul it in any its wrong grade..fuzz..low protein..wrong color..list goes on..
        Time to catch up on nap time..

Comment

Did run the dryer for 7000 bus just wasn’t going to wait.

Comment

What to do this morning.

Change semi lights

Comment

I would say this area is maybe thirty or forty percent done so far. Very little canola combined yet. Raining today. Like as in raining, settled in rain. Was a thirty percent chance. Lol

My hailed barley is slowly coming along, might make it. Was down to Regina yesterday buying a flock of ewes, and man is it dry down there. Trees all turning color, hayland crispy. Reason for selling ewes is no feed.

Up here it still looks like June other than the few odd leaves changing color. Was gunna mow the lawn again today, but wet now.

Drawn for moose and elk, good day to put up the cameras...

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                I would say this area is maybe thirty or forty percent done so far. Very little canola combined yet. Raining today. Like as in raining, settled in rain. Was a thirty percent chance.
                Harvest mostly wrapped here except for some canola still left. Its dry but boy is it nice to be done before November.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  Harvest mostly wrapped here except for some canola still left. Its dry but boy is it nice to be done before November.
                  Yeah is saw that. Not much left down there!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                    I would say this area is maybe thirty or forty percent done so far. Very little canola combined yet. Raining today. Like as in raining, settled in rain. Was a thirty percent chance. Lol

My hailed barley is slowly coming along, might make it. Was down to Regina yesterday buying a flock of ewes, and man is it dry down there. Trees all turning color, hayland crispy. Reason for selling ewes is no feed.

Up here it still looks like June other than the few odd leaves changing color. Was gunna mow the lawn again today, but wet now.

Drawn for moose and elk, good day to put up the cameras...
                    you musta used saskatoon address to get drawn on your own land ? thats how it works here

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      you musta used saskatoon address to get drawn on your own land ? thats how it works here
                      A Regina address works just as well here.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                        Haha. There are a lot of big game draw conspiracies. So far I get drawn about as much as one would expect to, doing the math of applications vs. Tags available. I would much prefer being drawn for either or moose or elk, not both the same year! Five hunters in our family now. In theory, one of us should get drawn every year. Least I should get for keeping habitat intact. Shouldn’t need to be drawn. I think landowners that maintain habitat should get a tag a year free, as a basic thank you for allowing wildlife to live.
                        Last edited by Sheepwheat; Sep 17, 2020, 09:57.

Comment

Shoot all deer and moose....or leave them for cars to hit....way too many

Comment

Don’t get me started on the moose draw my so. Has been trying for five years and my two city cousins get drawn and now want to hunt on our land.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              Shoot all deer and moose....or leave them for cars to hit....way too many
                              Somehow no one in our family has hit a critter in years and years. Others sure aren’t always so lucky.

Like agriculture, the system of managing big game in sask needs an overhaul.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.