• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well, its thirsty Thursday and its been a fun week.

We will get to 1/3 done harvest tonight.

Most in the area had a break this week waiting for fields to be ready. Standing Canola they are picking away at it or Standing wheat just isn't ready.

So here we go harvest is at 33% done.

HRS wheat and Durum are getting combined. ITs a hit and miss on the difference between an Oh my God crop and a WTF happened crop. Yes, we have found that out too. First fields of new Alida HRS were good but about 20% less than normal. Then we hit two sections that were Wow I have this wheat thing figured out. Nope, we hit a new section yesterday and it's down again. The area had about three inches rainless. Yes, rain makes grain. Floods are a dud. Overall we will have an average wheat crop that is way less than the last few years.

Peas are all done and guys did seem happy. We were with the 8-year rule and will stick with that rotation. Something is in the ground and it is taking yield along with some chemicals and timing of rain events can turn a good pea crop into shit. Yields are down from the last two years.

Barley most is harvested and now waiting for the Malt game. The funny thing is the price difference isn't that much like a few are finding. China will buy feed barley for malt again real soon. Yields are down about 25%.

Oats a few are harvesting it is a hit and miss depending on the timing of seeding and the heat event that happened. Yes heat, as we had with min moisture, causes crops to yield less. The lesson for experts get out of the office walk fields and you will understand that crops need a bit of rain to make grain. Yields are all over but mostly lower.

Flax zero has been swath and with winds that is a good idea. Zero fields have been harvested so far. Yield will be less.

Canola the green spots are what is taking fields longer to dry down. Guys are waiting and going after 14 good drying days. It seems the 14-day trick works. Yields on early are half. Yes half normal. Hard to believe when the Old Ag minister came out a month ago saying its the biggest crop ever in Saskatchewan history. I like twitter and all the tweets arent look at me it's wow this isn't like our plan had the crop outcome.

Heat and no rain or min rain at wrong time create little light seed, maybe lots but the load will weigh way less. I will say for our area 30 5o 50% less.

Pastures are on empty and grain ground is definitely out of gas. Fall rain is needed or 2021 won't even be worth seeding. Yea it's that dry. Edgeley lake is dry by the town.

Ok, so what have we learned boys and girls. Mud takes yield and dries a min rain takes yield and just the right combination give a bumper.

Have a safe week and let's enjoy the nice harvest time.

Many flax fields were hammered by the frost here. Some will be wiped out. Canary many were green but time will tell it usually can handle a bit of frost but we had minus 4 to minus 6 so hard to say.
    Canola everything from combined to grass green, grass green obviously toasted. The combined stuff yields all over the map due to how dry and then how much over wet, then how much fried later and type of soil, when you seeded and varieties. Later seeded too small to handle the big rains generally.
    Barley huge to lots drowned out.
    Wheats seemed to handle the variation the best.
    Peas terrible. Some worked down I see never harvested.
    Lentils average.
    It’s like the lottery out here. Generally very disappointing. The experts will look at the total rain And say hey that should have meant a good crop but the problem is too much came around once not enough at start or the very end and then of course the frost.
    Last edited by the big wheel; Sep 10, 2020, 06:37.

Comment

Just flax left.

Wind took it's toll on some swathed canola in the area. Pod drop/loss on unharvested straight cut too.

It is very dry in the Ghetto now, tapped out. Pastures are beyond pathetic. Way too early to start feeding cows but I think cowboys will have to start way before they want to.

I'm satisfied with the crop we grew with the amount of rain we got. Last fall rains put moisture in the bank....this year the account is in over draft. It better rain this fall or 2021 will have an ugly start.

What stark difference in the 2019 harvest compared to 2020.

Comment

2020 reminds me of 1980. We plowed down every acre of crop except for lentils. No rain in fall and no snow all winter. The fields blew like everything in spring 1981. I ‘d have to find my journal but I guess it rained in 1981 cause we had a crop. How the crops survived at all around here this year is beyond me. No sprinkle over 3/10 and only 3 or 4 of those glorious events. Goodbye and Good Riddance 2020.
        Last edited by sumdumguy; Sep 10, 2020, 07:58.

Comment

Fog and wet this morning.
          Late start today.
          We at 31% done.
          Bly all accepted for malt with 1st contract picked up.
          Started canola yesterday.
          Pods and seeds smaller but yield is Good enough for the yr.
          Swathed wht hope to pick up on weekend when all the crew comes for a fun time in the fields..

Comment

Why are the buyers calling for lentils, 26c? I thought there was a bumper crop out there.

My experience is when the buyers call you, bin it for the winter.

Comment

Don’t forget to start pricing fert and canola seed for next year. Invigor has a new exciting line up for 2021. Book and save huge if paid by Sept 30. Retailers have some great savings on fert if take and pay is in your cards.
              What a joke!!

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                Why are the buyers calling for lentils, 26c? I thought there was a bumper crop out there.

My experience is when the buyers call you, bin it for the winter.
                The buyers want to buy product and bin it. We aren’t suppose to make profit .. thats how they stay in business.

Comment

Finally a couple nice days in a row. Guys started going yesterday. I’m waiting on hailed crop to finish maturing up. Not sure yet what to do yet, cut it or wait it out. Canola cut pretty green ten days ago shows little sign of drying yet. Dodged the killer bullet other night. Soil moisture excellent so that’s a good thing I see. Pastures and hay land lush like June still.

Harrowed some ripe fall rye last week before the rain to try and get some growth for grazing. Seems like it germed good.

Moved the sheep yesterday. For me it is the most the****utic thing to walk the flock to the next pasture. Lol They’re so funny to watch when they hit the green fresh grass.

Been working on marketing lamb in unique ways. Have a few new products coming out soon. Going to do a sample drop off blitz next week to fish for and hopefully hook more buyers to be ready as our flock expands.

Beautiful morning here. In a beautiful place. Blessed.

Comment

Started swathing wheat on the solenetz yesterday. The high better ground is still green yet. Other wheat in area being roundup readied because it is the end of the growing season and weather ready to turn to sh!t as it always does around now. Harvest barely started around here. Canola is mostly swathed and the remaining will be straight cut. A little has been combined in the area. Peas are likely half done and a tiny little barley wheat and oats combines. Going to spray late seeded peas today. Yields good where it was not flooded, but are just weeds in low spots.

Comment

We did break the seal on harvest 2020 in the last week. Combined barley for just over a day last Friday and Saturday then it rained. Yields on barley are down from last year, roughly 20%, too wet. Hope to go again this afternoon.

Lots more canola swathed this week. Some still too green.

A little bit of wheat combined yields are higher than last year so far.

Peas being combined yields all over the map, similar too last year, both years were too wet for peas so overall below average.

Very fortunate in the pastures as they are still green, cows still fairly happy. Have a good week.

Comment

Spraying the last of the hailed out canola.

I repeat hail adjusters know jack shit. 6 in off ground doesn’t make a crop.

Shove the chart that takes 100% down to 60%.

Maybe 2021 is go without or I hear municipal is the way to stay with.

No frost yet cloud cover came and stayed all night both nights

I love days with a full crew.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                          Spraying the last of the hailed out canola.

I repeat hail adjusters know jack shit. 6 in off ground doesn’t make a crop.

Shove the chart that takes 100% down to 60%.

Maybe 2021 is go without or I hear municipal is the way to stay with.

No frost yet cloud cover came and stayed all night both nights

I love days with a full crew.

What the heck- no grain piles all over the yard? Must have a friendly dwarf come at night and clean them up.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                            Many flax fields were hammered by the frost here. Some will be wiped out. Canary many were green but time will tell it usually can handle a bit of frost but we had minus 4 to minus 6 so hard to say.
                            Canola everything from combined to grass green, grass green obviously toasted. The combined stuff yields all over the map due to how dry and then how much over wet, then how much fried later and type of soil, when you seeded and varieties. Later seeded too small to handle the big rains generally.
                            Barley huge to lots drowned out.
                            Wheats seemed to handle the variation the best.
                            Peas terrible. Some worked down I see never harvested.
                            Lentils average.
                            It’s like the lottery out here. Generally very disappointing. The experts will look at the total rain And say hey that should have meant a good crop but the problem is too much came around once not enough at start or the very end and then of course the frost.
                            Good post
                            Very good point on the rain totals
                            We had nearly half our rain in one big dump
                            That don’t translate into yield
                            But what do we know as farmers , experts and scientists know er all . We the sheep should just nod our heads in agreement and take our medicine lol

Comment

So Boboo is going to leave our Ag invest accounts alone for now.

Yea right who trusts these slippery fools.

Maybe it’s time to drain those accounts and put into a hail insurance account for our farms put your premium in each year most I have only got back my money over 40 some years.

Even the year 21 got hit the account wouldn’t be drained.

Oh and skippy and We both need to go.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.