Huge yield loss, over the last 4 wks.

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Huge yield loss, over the last 4 wks.

Aug 4, 2020 | 09:26 1 For an area that had standing water to seed around this spring, the tables have turned, and turned hard.
Over that period of summer heat(last 4 weeks), we've had a total of 14mm out of 7 different passing clouds. Averaging 2mm per shower, really only wets the leaves, and could be more closely compared to a heavy dew, than rain. I'd say we've had 10-20bus/ac shaved off our potential from where we stood at the end of spraying. I thought the sub soil would help more with the lack of rain, but I think now, the crop was too shallow rooted to withstand the 30-35' heat in July.
Dug in the soil with a spade between the rows and bone dry in the top 6 inches. Can't pinch any soil together, at that depth, that will stick together. Top half of canola pods not filled yet, top third of durum not filled yet.
I'd say this week is pivotal, if we get an inch of rain, we might come out with an avg crop, if we miss it again, we'll continue to slide. Really disappointing to loss acres to flooding and then loss bushels to drought later in the same year.(reminds me of 2011)
Can't image where we'd be at if we had started the year dryer, but then again, maybe we would have grown better deeper roots in the spring.
Need a good rain to fill what we have, otherwise she'll be a light, thin, quick harvest. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• LEP
    Aug 4, 2020 | 09:44 2 Once heat gets over 30 is takes yield from crop everywhere. Kinda frustrating. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Aug 4, 2020 | 09:47 3 Wonder if I can get a free irrigation system also? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Aug 4, 2020 | 10:30 4 Farming the Palliser Triangle will probably never be any different. We do everything in our power to fill all the bins and haul in the excess but Mother Nature holds the deck and deals the cards. After praying all year for one good rain and watching every system split off and head into the wide beyond, we hope our roots are getting enough moisture just to fill the lentils and durum. Canola is really hurting. It is amazing that crops can withstand the dog-days of summer. But whatever will be-will be. Reply With Quote

• Aug 4, 2020 | 11:12 5
    Quote Originally Posted by the big wheel View Post
    Wonder if I can get a free irrigation system also?
    I will see your free irrigation system and up the ante to 40 bucks an acre for 5 years and the capital gain on the land for the government funded capital infrastructure....

Beat that hand dealt....

Someone has some good pictures and videos of politicians doing some stupid shit.... Reply With Quote

• Aug 4, 2020 | 12:17 6 Not too smart, Sask Party. 🤯 Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Aug 4, 2020 | 13:17 7 Bill Boyd made a lot of his buddies rich as well at tax payers expense

Slime balls Reply With Quote

• ajl
    Aug 4, 2020 | 13:23 8 Happening here as well. 17 inches of poorly timed rain and a below average crop. Some volunteer field of canola looking better than seeded fields. Rot root taking down peas on land with no history of peas. Would have rather had 7" of well timed rain instead. Reply With Quote
    Aug 4, 2020 | 13:50 9 Haven’t seen thirty yet. Thirty is rare anymore here. Was 29 one day for a bit with excessive humidity, followed by a wicked storm. Mostly low to mid twenties. Haying has been a joke. Raining again right now. I think I lost about forty percent of my hay yield to rain, and then the quality issue. I am always amazed how different it can be place to place.

Crops are phenomenal here, barley is just crazy especially. Canola is pretty amazing too.

Thursday to yesterday was the longest stretch with no rain since late June. If only there was a way to share. I’d kill for some hot dry weather already. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• helmsdale's Avatar Aug 4, 2020 | 18:14 10 It's been 27 days since measurable moisture last fell.

In that span of time cereal yields shaved 40+% of their potential.

Peas down at least a third.

Oilseeds likely 40-50%.

It stings, but it's nothing new for here. Reply With Quote
    Aug 4, 2020 | 18:32 11
    Quote Originally Posted by the big wheel View Post
    Wonder if I can get a free irrigation system also?
    No kidding! Reply With Quote
    Aug 4, 2020 | 18:45 12 Last significant rain occurred on June 29th, giving us a total of 5” since May 1st.. Crop still looks good but would be nice to see another inch sooner than later to help fill. If it doesn’t rain in the next week it might as well stay hot and let us get harvesting. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Aug 4, 2020 | 18:46 13 You wouldn’t know it by the falling grain prices!
    No 1 wheat 13.5 $5.85 bu ... absolute disgrace.
    Are we back in 1975???
    Thankfully I cut my wheat acres back to basically zero. Can anyone say farming is fun anymore?? Reply With Quote

• helmsdale's Avatar Aug 4, 2020 | 19:05 14 "Living The Dream!"™️ Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Aug 4, 2020 | 19:10 15
    Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    Thankfully I cut my wheat acres back to basically zero. Can anyone say farming is fun anymore??
    Stock market looks 6 months ahead, commodities market looks 30 yrs back. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Aug 4, 2020 | 23:00 16 Well we ended up with 8 tenths for the day. Had about .17 early this morning and st supper had a hard rain from a small cell that lingered or moved slowly that topped us up to 8 tenths. Can't even say it hit the whole Ghetto, but that's what Ghetto Central(our yard) got.

Although too late for the peas, they are diquated, and are burnt yellow the rest of the crop types might plump up a bit instead of shrivelled shrunken wheat. Should help canola fill a bit better and flax too.

Combines will be rolling on our peas soon. Bonus is there weren't any large stunted patches from root rot like last year....therefore hoping for better results. Reply With Quote
    Aug 5, 2020 | 00:25 17 Our yield loss started well over 10 weeks ago. When it started raining every single day, sometimes 2 or 3 inches per event. Finally getting some much needed heat, with no shortage of water in the ground, what survived is progressing finally. Still standing water in places no one has seen it before. Water table was above grade for a period of weeks in a large area(not standing water, just completely saturated, and flowing from a water well 2 feet above the ground), those areas aren't recovering.

I just checked the Environment Canada records. Still haven't had more than one consecutive day without precipitation since April 23. Only missed 9 days total since then. 67 consecutive days without missing a rain.

Still haven't hit 30 degrees.

Canola didn't flower as long as expected. Some is almost more green than yellow already, and that is unusual for here at this time of year. But might be welcome by fall if it actually matures for the first time in I forget how many years. Not expecting any bin buster, even on the ground that wasn't drowned out. Wheat looks spectacular, about done flowering now. Barley all over the map. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Aug 5, 2020 | 06:22 18 Excess rain is awful and when it goes on for years and years and years you almost want to give up. This year first time ever we are living on tenths in our part of the world as even storms have zip for major rain. I like the drought better, its way easier to farm than exceess rain. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Aug 5, 2020 | 06:39 19
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Not too smart, Sask Party. 🤯
    We could go back to the Roy Romanow and Lorne Calvert days. It could be worse , a lot worse ! How about if the Liberals were in power provincially ? Look at what they are doing federally.

You want to see something not too smart , look at our RM system. Amalgamation can't come soon enough. Way too many pigs at the trough. Saw that on my stint for 10 years , and a big shakeup needs to come soon. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Aug 5, 2020 | 08:04 20
    Quote Originally Posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
    We could go back to the Roy Romanow and Lorne Calvert days. It could be worse , a lot worse ! How about if the Liberals were in power provincially ? Look at what they are doing federally.

You want to see something not too smart , look at our RM system. Amalgamation can't come soon enough. Way too many pigs at the trough. Saw that on my stint for 10 years , and a big shakeup needs to come soon.
    I think we have an NDP government now....taxpayers money used for incredibly stupid projects that have zero return for the taxpayer...

1. The CCS costs more to maintain that it generates in revenue...and WALL/ MOE cant get the federal government to accept it as a reduction mechanism along with some credits?????

2. The GTH paid off handsomely for a couple politicians and their friends.....

3. There is not a single acre of irrigation within the three large districts in Saskatchewan making any kind of a ROI for the money the taxpayers have spent on it...anyone that says there is doesnt understand a phucking thing about economics and taxpayer money.

If there was a conservative government here the investors wouldn't have to be bribed with corporate welfare to come.....they would see the potential and invest accordingly...

Look at who is selling land in large blocks now....I think the investors are slowly making their way to the hills...not to cause a panic...

Look at the land for rent for 2021 ... Reply With Quote
    Aug 5, 2020 | 08:53 21
    Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    You wouldn’t know it by the falling grain prices!
    No 1 wheat 13.5 $5.85 bu ... absolute disgrace.
    Are we back in 1975???
    Thankfully I cut my wheat acres back to basically zero. Can anyone say farming is fun anymore??
    So getting rid of the CWB didn’t result in sky high prices for wheat? What a surprise! So who is to blame now for the dismal prices? But at least you have marketing freedom! Now all you have to do is get rid of supply management for dairy and poultry and free the “oppressed” supply managed farmers and lower the consumer prices for low income earners! “Free market” Utopia awaits. LOL Reply With Quote
    Aug 5, 2020 | 09:25 22 Ya like I'd want $3 buck wheat from CWB lol Reply With Quote
    Aug 5, 2020 | 09:51 23
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertbarlage View Post
    Ya like I'd want $3 buck wheat from CWB lol
    And have it sit in the bin for years. Good times. Reply With Quote
    Aug 5, 2020 | 09:54 24
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertbarlage View Post
    Ya like I'd want $3 buck wheat from CWB lol
    You are exaggerating there Bob. In my 40 years of farming the best wheat price I got from the CWB was a $1.50! And that was for #1! In fact some years I had to pay the CWB to take my grain! And when I refused, they put me in jail. Reply With Quote
    Aug 5, 2020 | 09:59 25
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckChuck View Post
    You are exaggerating there Bob. In my 40 years of farming the best wheat price I got from the CWB was a $1.50! And that was for #1! In fact some years I had to pay the CWB to take my grain! And when I refused, they put me in jail.
    Finally,,, chucky posts something that proves they were a actual farmer !
    Chuck, don't feel so bad,,, we all feel your pain,,, we were all screwed by the cwb. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

nop

• Aug 5, 2020 | 12:31 26 Farm Link to the rescue, they are claiming "a monster" wheat crop. Should help prices.... sarc. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Aug 5, 2020 | 13:12 27
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverdam View Post
    Finally,,, chucky posts something that proves they were a actual farmer !
    Chuck, don't feel so bad,,, we all feel your pain,,, we were all screwed by the cwb.
    Honestly, nothing he says makes any sense at all. Reply With Quote
    Aug 5, 2020 | 15:01 28
    Quote Originally Posted by macdon02 View Post
    Farm Link to the rescue, they are claiming "a monster" wheat crop. Should help prices.... sarc.
    Is Neil Townsend retarded?????? Reply With Quote
    Aug 5, 2020 | 15:06 29
    Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    Is Neil Townsend retarded??????

WINNIPEG, Manitoba, Aug 5 (Reuters)*-*Canadian farmers are on track to harvest a record-large all-wheat crop, and more canola than last year, due mainly to favorable crop conditions, farmer advisory service FarmLink Marketing Solutions estimated on Wednesday.

The Winnipeg, Manitoba-based company's staff toured Western Canadian fields during the last two weeks of July. Canada is one of the world's biggest wheat exporters, and the top canola producer.

"We expected a big crop and we saw a big crop," said Neil Townsend, FarmLink's chief market analyst. The wheat crop in particular is an "absolute monster," he said.

The wheat harvest including durum looks to reach nearly 39 million tonnes, surpassing the current record of 37.6 million, set in 2013.

Pandemic lockdowns caused a surge in demand for bread and pasta, made from wheat. (Full Story)

FarmLink estimated canola production at 20.2 million tonnes, up from 18.6 million last year.

Even so, many canola, pea and lentil crops are behind normal development and need favorable late summer weather, according to FarmLink. Canola and cereal crops require additional moisture to reach their potential.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the annual tour chose fields less randomly than usual, focusing on client crops. Scouts drove alone and covered more ground, FarmLink said.

Statistics Canada is scheduled to release the government's first estimates of crop production on Aug. 31.

(Reporting by Rod Nickel in Winnipeg, Manitoba; Editing by David Gregorio) Reply With Quote
    Aug 5, 2020 | 15:09 30 There will certainly be a big crop the way it looks right now. Reply With Quote