Canola Levy

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Canola Levy

Jul 27, 2020 | 08:25 1

When is the last day to apply to get it back? Wheat too?
Last edited by sumdumguy; Jul 27, 2020 at 08:34.
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2020 | 08:39 2 took the words right outta my mouth
and do we actually have to supply every grain ticket to these assholes? Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2020 | 08:58 3 Just curious what people's problems are with the wheat commission. I'm not a big wheat grower so I haven't looked too hard at it. But from looking at it peripherally the wheat organization seems much better run than the canola growers. 80% of check-off dollars go to research, seems like a lots less vacations disquised as meetings,the board expenses are much less. Where as the canola growers seem to like wasting money and flaunting it in our faces. Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2020 | 09:08 4 .......seedtax will pay for future "research". I too think asking for the refund from certain groups is the equivelant of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Messages need to be sent to some camps. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 27, 2020 | 11:35 5 I can claim rebates from 3 commodity groups.
    Almost $2,300 worth. I can imagine what "real" farmers would get back.
    I could use the money at home too. Spending lots.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 27, 2020 at 12:02.
    Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • fjlip's Avatar Jul 27, 2020 | 13:40 6 Wheat and Canola during Aug. Phone canola growers for a form. They insist a new one each year. Wheat you can print off website. Always phone after email or FAX to confirm, they like to LOSE your application and KEEP the $ because they never got it?
    Suggest you start Aug 1or 2, give it lots of time. Screw research, the CHAIN should pay, WE take 99% of risk! Reply With Quote

  • Jul 27, 2020 | 17:28 7 Why not claim your money back, it will pay for your palm springs vacation next year instead of paying for theirs. Reply With Quote

  • Jul 27, 2020 | 17:44 8 My biggest peeve with the levies is that there are tax credits attached to the levy and most accountants or producers don’t take the time to use them. I feel that these associations should be sending out a tax info slip similar to a T4 that you could give to your accountant to get your tax credits. If and when that ever happens I might be inclined to leave them some money. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 27, 2020 | 17:47 9 We used ours once, a tax credit is never the same as having the "cash". Give up the corporate tax on it(the levy) and you're miles ahead. Reply With Quote
    Jul 27, 2020 | 19:30 10 Barley growers have the largest levy/acre at $1/tonne.

    Interesting. Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Jul 27, 2020 | 20:09 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver88 View Post
    Barley growers have the largest levy/acre at $1/tonne.

    Interesting.
    To grow MORE bushels for cheaper malt/beer. 1.5 cents per can/bottle is too much to pay the grower! Everybody wins but us! Reply With Quote

  • Jul 27, 2020 | 22:33 12 Been applying for several years now from everyone. Pay for a hot holiday for yourself rather than someone else. Ask yourself what you have gotten from any of them. What pushed me over the edge on all these was the Canola Councils “Big Hairy Audacious Goal” of 15 million tonnes by 2015. Think about that, our own money being used to flood our own market. Imagine Apple paying an association fee per unit sold that was used to flood the market with IPads. If you don’t apply for a refund you are part of the problem, they interpret this as grower approval. Were they able to help with Carbon tax on grain drying? Trade issues with China?, Seed size pricing? Nope. Reply With Quote

  • Jul 27, 2020 | 22:58 13
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver88 View Post
    Barley growers have the largest levy/acre at $1/tonne.

    Interesting.
    alfalfa is $27.55/mt Reply With Quote
    Jul 27, 2020 | 22:59 14
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    been applying for several years now from everyone. Pay for a hot holiday for yourself rather than someone else. Ask yourself what you have gotten from any of them. What pushed me over the edge on all these was the canola councils “big hairy audacious goal” of 15 million tonnes by 2015. Think about that, our own money being used to flood our own market. Imagine apple paying an association fee per unit sold that was used to flood the market with ipads. If you don’t apply for a refund you are part of the problem, they interpret this as grower approval. Were they able to help with carbon tax on grain drying? Trade issues with china?, seed size pricing? Nope.
    excellent post Reply With Quote
    Jul 28, 2020 | 00:03 15
    Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
    alfalfa is $27.55/mt
    Wow.....hopefully there doesn’t end up with an alfalfa “seed tax” on top of the levy. Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Jul 31, 2020 | 09:44 16 Starting tomorrow...

    Levy Refund
    Your levy may be refunded annually upon request and is based on your canola sales for the period of August 1 to July 31.

    Levy Refund Application Process
    Contact our office and we will send you the current year's levy refund application form.
    A separate application form must be submitted for each producer or business requesting a refund.
    The form must have a personal name or business name and complete mailing address.
    Application forms must be signed. Unsigned forms will be returned.
    If you are mailing your application form, phone the number on the form to confirm receipt.
    Applications for refunds may be submitted to SaskCanola anytime during the crop year (August 1 to July 31), and must be received no later than August 31 of the year in which you are requesting your refund.

    By regulation, SaskCanola has no authority to process a late application. Reply With Quote
    Jul 31, 2020 | 17:31 17
    Quote Originally Posted by fjlip View Post
    Starting tomorrow...

    Levy Refund
    Your levy may be refunded annually upon request and is based on your canola sales for the period of August 1 to July 31.

    Levy Refund Application Process
    Contact our office and we will send you the current year's levy refund application form.
    A separate application form must be submitted for each producer or business requesting a refund.
    The form must have a personal name or business name and complete mailing address.
    Application forms must be signed. Unsigned forms will be returned.
    If you are mailing your application form, phone the number on the form to confirm receipt.
    Applications for refunds may be submitted to SaskCanola anytime during the crop year (August 1 to July 31), and must be received no later than August 31 of the year in which you are requesting your refund.

    By regulation, SaskCanola has no authority to process a late application.
    Maybe some day they will advance their technology and use fax machines. Reply With Quote
    makar's Avatar Jul 31, 2020 | 17:53 18 How do I apply in Alberta, I can't find it. Reply With Quote
    Jul 31, 2020 | 17:54 19
    Quote Originally Posted by MBgrower View Post
    Maybe some day they will advance their technology and use fax machines.
    They send you the form electronically, email. Just haven't opened it yet to see if you have to print and mail in the rebate application or digitally fill out a form and forward it to an email address.

    SaskWheat can be printed off their website.

    Saskflax mails theirs.

    Can't speak to others because I don't grow barley and pulses are non-refundable Reply With Quote
    Aug 4, 2020 | 12:37 20 Done mine this morning. Reply With Quote
    Aug 4, 2020 | 12:43 21 Can someone post hotlinks for these commodity groups/refund pages?

    Wheat? canola? pulses/peas? Reply With Quote
    Aug 4, 2020 | 13:32 22 If in Sask. Call Sask Canola and they will send a link.
    Sask Pulse levies are non refundable.
    Sask Wheat can be downloaded off their site. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Aug 4, 2020 | 17:29 23
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverdam View Post
    Can someone post hotlinks for these commodity groups/refund pages?

    Wheat? canola? pulses/peas?
    They dont make easily accessible, such as a online form with the ability to upload your delivery information. Lots of roadbloacks put in place to discourage the refund process.
    And who is it these groups are supposed to represent???

    DEFUND THE CHECK-OFF GROUPS! Reply With Quote

  • fjlip's Avatar Aug 6, 2020 | 21:48 24
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    They send you the form electronically, email. Just haven't opened it yet to see if you have to print and mail in the rebate application or digitally fill out a form and forward it to an email address.

    SaskWheat can be printed off their website.

    Saskflax mails theirs.

    Can't speak to others because I don't grow barley and pulses are non-refundable
    Apparently SaskCanola UPDATED their refund procedure Aug 1, I copied in July. But you must answer 4 pages of questions....please why why do you not want to pay for research? Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Aug 6, 2020 | 22:32 25 I was a little torn. For a while.
    I used to be gung ho research. Lobbying.
    After all, we built an entirely new and very successful crop outside of the Mother Corp. Proving once and for all free flow of supply and demand etc etc.
    Where would Charlie Mayer get in govt today?
    Lately, I don't have a clue what they're actually doing really.
    Wheat worse. My check off $ much larger for wheat and it's called back.
    With 5 years till my sale, I think we pay enough for the seed already.
    Fundamentally I still believe in research but...
    How many acres out there really care about the last bushel? From the road I'd say < half. Profitable bushel??
    Maybe it's an age/enthusiasm factor. Reply With Quote
    Aug 7, 2020 | 15:52 26 Considering the numbers on refund forms, most are only in the double digits. It does not look like there is any rush to pull funds from commissions. Reply With Quote
    Aug 7, 2020 | 17:06 27 It seems like the seed companies are now doing all the research, collecting the seed royalties etc.

    Would this make the commodity groups role, .... redundant ? Reply With Quote
    Aug 7, 2020 | 18:03 28
    Quote Originally Posted by Rareearth View Post
    It seems like the seed companies are now doing all the research, collecting the seed royalties etc.

    Would this make the commodity groups role, .... redundant ?
    yup. And the GrainCos do the marketing/ Market development Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Aug 7, 2020 | 19:01 29 Ideas on what good they could do?
    How much $ do they really need? Reply With Quote
    Aug 8, 2020 | 08:15 30 Build a export terminal and lease it out.

    I also like idea of plant breeding and varieties owned by producers, Reply With Quote