• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Municipal Politics

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Municipal Politics

Recently I read a letter to the editor in the local paper and it was about chopping up farm land for acreages. My point is not to start a debate on whether or not this is economically viable for the producer because in some cases that is the most money the producer will ever see for what comes from the land.

The increasing concern is whether or not municipal politics, particularly in county areas, will be dominated by people coming from acreages, which in turn would put more pressure on farmers i.e. regulations on when and how to spread manure.

People who derive their income from the land tend to spend money in the local community whereas people who derive their money elsewhere, also tend to spend elsewhere too.

Many development decisions are based on what will bring money into the coffers on a short-term basis versus what will happen over the long-term. Having zero development is not feasible, but neither is allowing any and all development to take place. A balance has to be struck so that diverse and competing interests can be addressed as best as possible.

Bottom line is we are not going to be making any more land, so we have to preserve what we have. Many of the development decisions are left to the muncipal planning councils and care must be taken to find an effective and sustainable balance.

What do some of the rest of you see as issues in the upcoming elections this fall? What should we be looking to our municipal governments to do?

Well Linda, I am in the same municipality as you and I believe the county did a study of where they see things going in the future?
    It's a tough subject at the best of times with no easy solutions. The county seems to be moving to a solution of keeping "subdivisions" basically confined to areas around Red Deer/Sylvan Lake and promoting multi-lot dense population areas.
    The old "first acreage out" rule seems to have gone out the door? Which is pretty much a theft from the landowner? When that "rule" got turfed in reality it took about 25% right off the top of our land values!
    The other developement that seems to be happening is the "small agricultural holding" type of subdivision? In that 5 acre to 20 acre range/ as opposed to the old less than 3 acre first out acreage. Which is fine if it is being used for actual agriculture production(market garden/greenhouse) sort of thing. But what is to stop somebody from just buying this small ag holding and having a bunch of nags on it...in other words just another horse hobby farm? Is this the way we want to go?
    I also see a disturbing trend in wealthy people from Calgary buying up farm/grazing land around Glennifer Lake and along the Red Deer river in the east part of the county. All they want is a rural playground!
    I doubt,however, these issues will really amount to much in our municipal election this fall? The three biggies are going to be: The Taj Mahal? No way did the county need a palace like that!With a final cost three times the original estimate?
    Second: The 30% raise council voted themselves last year. So today they make substantially more money than a councillor from the city of Red Deer. Some of our councillors are dragging out over $80,000 when you add up all their perks!
    Thirdly: The waste of tax payers money and the general feeling that things are out of control. Money is being blown on useless things while the roads continue to fall apart. While it is true taxes haven't gone up on farm land and residences, the oil income coming in is truly staggering! Do you realize that farm land and residences only bring in something like 30% of the total tax haul? What happens when the day comes that we have to pay our own way?

Comment

What sorts of things are you going to look for in your potential candidates in the municipal elections? How many are going to take the time to vote? In the federal election, this was one of the lowest turnouts - around the 60% mark.

How can we effect change at the local level if we don't get out there and make our views known and support someone that will uphold those views?

How many are faced with municipal elections this fall?

We need to start with changes where we live.

Comment

Linda, I doubt I'll get much of a selection, but if I do I'll vote! Never missed a federal, provincial, municipal election yet!
        My own councillor will get in no matter who might run against her. The fact is if you have a problem, she does her darndest to solve it! What more can you ask?
        I suspect you might get a choice this time around? Your old councillor is retiring? He was a good man although a lot of people didn't agree with him?
        One thing that really bugs me in the county of Red Deer is how two councillors(elected by the acreage vote!) seem to be controlling the agenda and causing all kinds of trouble over "tempests in a teapot" sort of thing! Maybe this is our future as the "acreage vote" gets more power?

Comment

Municipal Politics can be both rewarding and thankless to those who do put their name on the ballot. Now is the time to encourage good potential folks to become candidates. Voter apathy is a major problem in many areas, and that is unfortunate.
          Land Use By-Laws and Municipal Development Plans do set out the way municipalities will be developed, and there is always public input into those before they become law, so the public has to take some ownership for speaking out and letting their council know how they want agricultural lands developed, and protected.

Comment

Actually emerald, we get a pretty fair turnout in the county I live in, for any land use deals and town hall meetings. And I have to give the local council marks for even having these open type of meetings! Of course the fact that we also have a ratepayers association that prods them into it doesn't hurt!
            This municipality has been very poorly run in the past. The CEO ripped us off for $3 million(did a little time and they rcovered a pittance) and the council was not doing its job...obviously? However they all won their seats anyway!
            They also got screwed by the federal government when they took over the airbase...again they obviously were not taking care of business? However they all got re-elected again!
            To take the heat off themselves they privatized all the services. They claimed the savings were huge...which they were...unfortunately said services really became very poor(and the costs are rising)!
            They continue to bungle things and drop the ball at times but are generally moving forward.
            It is amazing that we elect these real good people who are always going to change things and make things happen! After about one year they seem to change? Soon they are more concerned with getting a bigger salary and more perks than how the roads are going to hell in a handbasket! The days of the old councillor who did the job out of a sense of civic duty are pretty well gone? I still believe my councillor is doing her job and has her ratepayers best interests at heart. However there are others on this council who are in it for the money or furthering their political careers without a doubt.
            At one time I briefly considered running for council! But then my current councillor is a close friend and is doing her best...so who needs it, right?

Comment

Many good potential councillors either don't have the time or are just not willing to step up to the plate for a variety of good reasons. Being a municipal elected official means that you don't go to the auction market; community store;or even a funeral without hearing about how rough the roads are, or how dumb your latest decision was. It isn't for the faint hearted, that's for sure!!!
              But those who do enter into municipal politics must NEVER lose sight of the fact that they are there to represent the people not the other way around.

Comment

Isn't representing the folks that put you in your position the basis for any kind of position - elected or even volunteer? People tend to support you because they feel that you fairly represent what they believe in, value or feel strongly about.

Too often we see people with the best of intentions get sucked into the vortex known as "p"olitics and they often forget what their main focus is and should be at all times - the people that put them there.

Comment

Yes, there are certainly some prime examples of that around, unfortunately fairly close to home !!!

Comment

Nomination Day for municipal elections is only three weeks away. Time to encourage good potential candidates to consider running. In my area it is getting very interesting.

Comment

Please tell us more about what you are seeing happening in your area emrald. I think that there will likely be some interesting things happening all over during this election.

Comment

Locally, there has been a lot of controversy, regarding some members of the current council.
                        My feelings have always been that if you aren't satisfied with the status quo then stand up and be counted,and either run for council yourself or recruit individuals you feel will provide the kind of leadership your community needs.

Comment

I agree with you there emrald. It takes a lot to stick your neck out and for the most part I think that being a municipal councillor is a pretty thankless job from the outside looking in.

The individuals running in these positions likely have their own reasons for wanting to take up the challenge. It would seem to me in a lot of cases that there could and should be a turnover after so many years of serving. Even if people are doing a good job, there is always room for new ideas and new people.

Comment

Anyone considering running for municipal politics should be willing to devoter the time and energy required to do the job the taxpayers deserve. This means becoming informed on the legislation that municipal councils must uphold, and the current policies in place within their respective municipality.
                            There is a HUGE difference between being an elected official and being a GOOD COUNCILLOR. A good councillor will spend hours researching agenda items prior to making a decision on issues, and will ensure that they become informed on what impact their decisions will have on the municipality as a whole, prior to raising their hand to vote !
                            Potential candidates should ask themselves and be asked why they are considering runnning. IF they feel they have the time and energy and committment to their community to make a difference, good for them and good luck to them. If they want to be on council to change laws, and spend tax dollars that will benefit themselves more than others, hopetully the electorate finds that out prior to the election. !!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...