• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for another rain thread....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just find our quality of life is less with this never ending rain! Mosquitoes on you all the time, always wet feet, pooled up water sits in the sun and starts to stink,humility that make you drag your feet when its 20 degrees and always behind in your work! Always enjoyed the few dry hot summers i have experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
      I just find our quality of life is less with this never ending rain! Mosquitoes on you all the time, always wet feet, pooled up water sits in the sun and starts to stink,humility that make you drag your feet when its 20 degrees and always behind in your work! Always enjoyed the few dry hot summers i have experienced.
      That is not one of he typical side effects of humility.
      I notice that I have the same problems whenever the humidity is high, and no one has ever accused me of possessing humility.

Comment

We had a few brew up and not much then as I went to get the last three queartes adjusted for hail it comes down hard for a few minutes. 2/10 and were good. The dry area on top of the valley missed it again. Funny how storms continue the same path.

Comment

Out of the last 83 days, the official EC record indicates that there have been 3 without rain, and on one of those days, we had over an inch. So I think I qualify to answer the question of how the wet areas are doing.

And after travelling from here (far west of Red Deer) to NE Alberta ( North of St. Paul), we have it good compared to some areas. I assume I went close to AJL's neighborhood? We saw what looked like still unharvested crops ( still some of that in our area too), fields were it was hard to tell if it was seeded, or volunteers, canola fields with half completely drowned out, and the rest varying degrees of drowned out. standing water, ruts etc. Then pockets of decent. Wheat was better, other crops all over the map. Crops looked good around Red Deer, then got progressively worse going north, with the worst being NE of Edmonton. Came home straight south of St Paul into what I would consider drier areas east of Camrose etc, where excess rain is rarely a problem, but there were drownouts all over. Went west as far as Camrose, then south on 21, then west again through Lacombe and kept going west towards home.

I haven't been farther south than Olds, and nothing east of there, but the water damage from here and south is very bad. A few people have commented that the water table seems to be higher than anyone can remember, causing drownouts where no one can remember. Some years they can recover, this year the rain has been so continuous that they have just given up.

If my travels are any indication, I would say the moisture situation probably isn't a market mover. I think the drier areas, in spite of some drownouts are going to be enough above average to make up for the wetter areas that are nearly a write off. And in the traditionally wet areas such as ours, this isn't unexpected.

As for my own, the wheat looks as best it ever has, very little drownouts. Canola is probably the worst I've ever grown, from compaction, excess water, compaction, too much straw, compaction, flea beetles, compaction, hail, seeded late and in some of it in the rain, and did I mention compaction. Barley is really uneven with every combine track (spring thresh) being pitiful short and yellow, but for such a wet year, it is better than expected, probably better than the canola, and usually it is the other way around, where the canola will recover once it dries out, but the barley never does. Hay looks very good, but impossible to dry, so haven't even started.

On a postive note, the few Faba beans I have seen look phenomenal.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB170Xdw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	769972

Comment

East of Olds the crops are, I won’t say great as that’s a jinx, but pretty darn good. Some swaths lost to hail like east of Innisfail but anything around Trochu and Threehills is pretty good considering. Low spots are lost but there aren’t lots of low spots. Also was up by Edmonton on the weekend and there’s some pathetic canola that direction. Here it’s a jungle. Took the horse to her summer pasture and it was past her chest (not that she would stand there nicely for a good photo)

Hasn’t rained here since Sunday when we got another quarter inch. Seems there’s storms a couple times a week but generally nice days in between. See what the ones forecasted for this week bring.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                [ATTACH]6431[/ATTACH]
                Hmmmmmmm I’m in the middle of a big purple patch. I guess that’s why I’m getting stuck with the quad on side hills in the grazing rye field. It’s worse now to get around than the end of April was.

P.S. raining again here tonight although it’s been 36 hours since the last shower so we were well overdue.

Comment

Got my moisture deficency report today and at my weather station we are at 143.39% over average, 73mm in may 39.5mm from june 1 to 15th,so there goes the insurance,50 acres rotting in field and 250 more getting ranker every day.

Comment

So we are swimming in water here, rain almost daily since beginning of June and cold. Rained twice overnight last night. But this is today's forcast. I have my doubts. With those temps and the moisture we have, I bet there will be some more boomers.

Comment

GDR, You are probably right. Your "pump" is primed. Ours isn't.... sucking lots of air.

Secondly, you're looking too far out. Long-term forecasts are a joke..... everyone's.

Comment

Plenty of my state is getting thirsty and starting to look for next real rain.

Touch wood mid next week things looking better.

Could be a lotto dogs breakfast could be a general soaker

Who knows but sadly someone somewere misses out often those who need it most.

Don’t worry about endless looking at models preceding the event until day before drives ya barmey

Comment

On a Babylon Bee diet this morning.

"Op-Ed: God, I Know You Promised Not To Send Another Flood, But It’s Ok, Really"

https://babylonbee.com/news/op-ed-god-i-know-you-promised-not-to-send-another-flood-but-its-ok-really/?utm_content=buffera8553&utm_medium=social&utm_sou rce=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer https://babylonbee.com/news/op-ed-god-i-know-you-promised-not-to-send-another-flood-but-its-ok-really/?utm_content=buffera8553&utm_medium=social&utm_sou rce=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Comment

It wouldn't have to be a flood, there are lots of ways He could hit the reset button.

Maybe we are in a flood as we speak, a flood of "stupidity".

No shortage of that flowing around.

Edit it, of Biblical proportions.
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 2, 2020, 07:26.

Comment

Heat stress here, probably a defense for all kinds of atrocities?

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                                She's too late for way out here !

Damage is done !

Next year !

1 800 Ritchies !
                                Too late for peas here but rain would still help the canola, flax, wheat and bank account fill.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.