Planes everywhere today

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Planes everywhere today

Jul 11, 2020 | 12:07 1 Lots of bucks getting spent . Hopefully it’s worthwhile.

They started last night . Watched from the boat ...

Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 11, 2020 at 12:40.
  • 2 Likes

• Jul 11, 2020 | 12:13 2 Here too. Beautiful pics again! Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2020 | 12:43 3

Fish fly’s were out
    Fish were not lol Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Jul 11, 2020 | 12:55 4 Planes been going for 3rd solid day now. Somewhere around 15 planes flying out of the 3 airports surrounding us. $11, 2 gallon. Book says minimum 20 Litres.....

Nothing beats the ground rig but have to do what you have to do sometimes.

Ever take chemical to a crop duster and ask for the left over? Never is any. They never miss and they never run out. Always bang on. Big money grab if you ask me..... Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2020 | 12:56 5 Yes great pics Furrow!

What’s everyone’s opinion on the job that planes can do?
    I don’t have a ground rig so use planes often. I also use a custom ground rig but when it’s wet he will get behind and the plane is Johnny on the spot. The low water and travailing so fast makes me wonder if I ever get good return for the money. Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2020 | 12:57 6 I know what you mean Furrow. Been at that lake this time of year and like watching those agcats. Very rare to see a plane in this country with all the small hilly fields. Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2020 | 13:06 7 Have had planes spray for weeds a few times now. They do seem to do a much better job than one would think. Even in narrow, short cut off pieces by the lakes they nailed it with amazing accuracy.

Always found it interesting how they do so well, buzzing along like they do. Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2020 | 14:06 8 Planes and helicopters going here cause of 5-6 in rain .
    Ground rigs will just make a mess . Lots of hidden water holes. Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2020 | 14:34 9 I don’t know why any air operator would put herbicide on. It will cost them more in crop damage claims than they make. Chopper guy here burnt half the country in drift. I don’t know a plane operator in the area that will do herbicide unless desiccating. Reply With Quote

• Jul 11, 2020 | 14:58 10 I won’t put glyfos in an airplane. Did that one fall for wheat when the field was so wet no ground rig could go. The wheat was dead ripe but the field was getting greener everyday. Well lots of trees around this half section and about five years later all I do is throw dead trees out of the field. Drift killed all the trees on the edge and now they are all falling in the field. Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2020 | 17:27 11 lots of planes around here, mostly for fungicide app. No difference in efficacy between air and ground if both applied correctly and under ideal conditions. I use both, but hate trampling over crop with a ground rid. Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2020 | 19:04 12 Plane did section lentils this morning. May do more next wk.
    By the time I spray with HC then tramp again for desication the track widens out so more yield is lost. Plane charges me $9/ac so more than pays IMO. Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2020 | 19:41 13 Quick trip to Regina this afternoon and on the way back we saw four different spray planes, right from drought to fairly wet. Reply With Quote
    Jul 11, 2020 | 22:03 14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
    I don’t know why any air operator would put herbicide on. It will cost them more in crop damage claims than they make. Chopper guy here burnt half the country in drift. I don’t know a plane operator in the area that will do herbicide unless desiccating.
    Who’s putting on herbicides this time of year? Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 06:20 15 Ready to roll ...
    Jul 12, 2020 | 06:21 16 As long as those planes stay in the air! Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 12, 2020 | 08:00 17
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Who’s putting on herbicides this time of year?
    It was 7-10 days ago. Showing the damage bad now.

We are quite a bit later up here in the swamp. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 12, 2020 | 08:18 18 What ? Another NE swamp dweller ? Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 08:28 19 Planes are great for maturing crops, smoked the army worms this past week! Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 08:33 20
    Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
    What ? Another NE swamp dweller ?
    We farm the asshole of the RM of Moose Range. Everything flows to us. Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 08:44 21 This guy is good
    4-5 ft off crop ....
    Jul 12, 2020 | 08:51 22 How big of boom on the heli? Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 09:06 23
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    How big of boom on the heli?
    50 ft Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 09:07 24 Prospects have improved here but think we will leave the fungicide at the retailers and leave the sprayer in the shed or custom aerial applicators grounded. There has to be a net benefit to me after going through the expense of the application.
    Time will tell if our choice was the correct one. Hopefully not spraying is a decision that isn't going to cost me more than spraying would have.

Scouted some wheat and don't even see any leaf disease. Some of it would be past staging. Not doing peas....might regret that, podded up and some flowers on top but assume they will be thinking of shutting down soon. Might even stay off the flax. Got about 3/4 inch of rain in shots last week. Moisture is right at the surface now. Dewy mornings but canopy is NOT lush and dries out.

But boy are there new volunteers and weeds now that it rained and germinated all those seeds just sitting there in the drill ridges.

Saving some dough for capital projects. Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 09:13 25
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    Prospects have improved here but think we will leave the fungicide at the retailers and leave the sprayer in the shed or custom aerial applicators grounded. There has to be a net benefit to me after going through the expense of the application.
    Time will tell if our choice was the correct one. Hopefully not spraying is a decision that isn't going to cost me more than spraying would have.

Scouted some wheat and don't even see any leaf disease. Some of it would be past staging. Not doing peas....might regret that, podded up and some flowers on top but assume they will be thinking of shutting down soon. Might even stay off the flax. Got about 3/4 inch of rain in shots last week. Moisture is right at the surface now. Dewy mornings but canopy is NOT lush and dries out.

But boy are there new volunteers and weeds now that it rained and germinated all those seeds just sitting there in the drill ridges.

Saving some dough for capital projects.
    Ya we doing only 1/2 the canola , a few fields of wheat and peas
    Straight nutrient on some just to see .
    End of the day Mother Nature rules .
    With some of the major damage seen by farmer posters on here and past experience , most of us know that one big hail storm can take er in the blink of an eye. Can’t justify going corner tomorrow corner for us . Just most potentially susceptible fields . Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• fjlip's Avatar Jul 12, 2020 | 10:14 26 How much tank capacity? Timed neighbor, 7 minutes spraying, about 2 minutes to land on truck pad, and return to spraying. 6 loads per hour. Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 10:34 27 How many gallons are they putting down with the helicopter and cost a acre? Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 11:32 28 Watching heli doing fungicide on canola ,he was only doing three passes on the mile between fills. Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 12:23 29 Helicopter pretty dangerous. Spray planes occasionally and rarely touch ground with their wheels. Its usually a touch and go but helis don’t have wheels. Reply With Quote
    Jul 12, 2020 | 12:46 30
    Quote Originally Posted by fjlip View Post
    How much tank capacity? Timed neighbor, 7 minutes spraying, about 2 minutes to land on truck pad, and return to spraying. 6 loads per hour.
    4 gal / ac
    250 gal tank ... I think
    Much the same sounds like Reply With Quote