• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floater tires for tandem?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floater tires for tandem?

Ma Nature is still grumpy with us apparently............

Looking for big singles with lugs for a manure truck (Ford L8000) that hauls silage too with Dayton rims. We can find lots of Budd rims but that would involve changing the hubs which we’d rather not do.

Tires are still available but going fast around here so looking for something quick. Rims or mounted tires are fine with us. Got a few more places to try calling tomorrow and measure the truck a little better to see what will fit under it.
    Looking at either 700/40x22.5 or 600/50x22.5 rubber.

Also if anyone has experience with doing something like this let me know. Ironically it’s got new knobby drive tires under it but I don’t think that’s going to cut it anymore if we’re ever able to get going.

Thanks

P.S. The next thing might be tracks for the discbine............. I despise making ruts and getting stuck in hayfields.

Originally posted by woodland View Post
    Ma Nature is still grumpy with us apparently............

Looking for big singles with lugs for a manure truck (Ford L8000) that hauls silage too with Dayton rims. We can find lots of Budd rims but that would involve changing the hubs which we’d rather not do.

Tires are still available but going fast around here so looking for something quick. Rims or mounted tires are fine with us. Got a few more places to try calling tomorrow and measure the truck a little better to see what will fit under it.
    Looking at either 700/40x22.5 or 600/50x22.5 rubber.

Also if anyone has experience with doing something like this let me know. Ironically it’s got new knobby drive tires under it but I don’t think that’s going to cut it anymore if we’re ever able to get going.

Thanks

P.S. The next thing might be tracks for the discbine............. I despise making ruts and getting stuck in hayfields.
    Ever heard of right track systems? Might work and you don't have to change your tires?

Comment

Woodland, have you thought of putting an ad on Kijiji or Western Producer, wanting to buy. We have done that several times on various items and have been successful.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
        Ever heard of right track systems? Might work and you don't have to change your tires?
        Never heard of them before now.

We have several fields that need to be hauled down the pavement a couple miles so I don’t think they would like that too much. Occasionally we get the county cops and DOT’s snooping around too so we need to keep that in mind.

Very interesting though

Thanks again

Comment

Lots of trucks parked for summer rigged with floaters for winter work
          I don't know but the Dayton thing could be a problem

Comment

All those old floaters had Dayton rims,

They were just Daytons cut in 1/2 with a pipe welded in for a spacer.

Might have been split rims?

I had a local welding shop make some one time to put floater tires on a liquid cart.

Those old dead floaters must be sitting around somewhere?

You want the 10 ply tires not the 6 ply.

Comment

Did you try this guy in Spruce Grove:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks/st-albert/floatation-tires-rims-for-your-feed-trucks-or-silage-grain/476232178

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                All those old floaters had Dayton rims,

They were just Daytons cut in 1/2 with a pipe welded in for a spacer.

Might have been split rims?

I had a local welding shop make some one time to put floater tires on a liquid cart.

Those old dead floaters must be sitting around somewhere?

You want the 10 ply tires not the 6 ply.
                It’s been a bit of a learning curve figuring this out but we found the highest rated ones we could. Supposedly good for 4,000 kg ea with 58 psi at 70 kph which will be fine for silage. Manure may not get heaped as much which wouldn’t be a bad thing anyway.

Custom rims were going to be $1500 ea and a couple weeks wait. Found Budd rims at Fountain tire for $550, conversion hubs and brake drums at Fort Garry for $570, and the tires for $1300 at Tirecraft. Ordered everything today as lots of other guys have the same idea apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                  Did you try this guy in Spruce Grove:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks/st-albert/floatation-tires-rims-for-your-feed-trucks-or-silage-grain/476232178
                  Yes and he had good stock on complete sets but it was a little too rich for us.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                    Yes and he had good stock on complete sets but it was a little too rich for us.

Thanks
                    Woodland I hesitate to ask I was watching Edmonton news last night and there was some heavy thunderstorms in the area did you miss them? We missed them here east of Red Deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                      Woodland I hesitate to ask I was watching Edmonton news last night and there was some heavy thunderstorms in the area did you miss them? We missed them here east of Red Deer.
                      Only a 1/4 inch here last night .............. that’s what we call a heavy dew anymore. Even the slopes in the fields have water on them. It’ll be a while till anything can happen out here and that’s us foolishly figuring it stops coming down.

The fun continues........

Comment

Just to clarify, I was liking your comment that a 1/4 is called a heavy dew in your area.

Comment

Another 3/4 inch around Edmonton Thursday night to even out the 1.25 from Tuesday. Wheat is hanging in, canola a disaster. Glad we don't have peas or barley in.

Comment

Mom was in town today and picked up three of the tires. I definitely think they’ll help out a bunch. Just waiting till Wednesday or so for the rims to show up.

Looking forward to trying them out .......... whenever that is😉

Comment

Here is hoping that you never need them again. It would be the best investment you ever made if they can accomplish that.

Edit, same applies to your grain drier. And bale wrapper.
                              I was too slow, I asked around to some rig movers, and other off road truckers, but by the time I had some leads, you already found your wheels.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.