CCR

Commodity Marketing

Tools

CCR

Jul 8, 2020 | 05:48 1 Who will stop the rain ...
sums it up for a lot areas now

First big rain in July for us in a decade Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 8, 2020 | 05:50 2 I can stop the rain. Big system moving toward us and boom piss all.

    What a year 2020 is 2/10 isn’t rain it’s piss. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 8, 2020 | 06:07 3 A better question would be " who will start the rain"....

    Hard to believe with a system of that magnitude coming at us and we only managed to get three tenths out of it.
    The intense line of showers fizzled a bit and a gap developed over Ghetto Central as it passed over us.
    The rest was probably just moving to fast for a greater accumulation.

    ....but I will take it please and thank you.

    Better than nothing in the Slum of the Ghetto. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 8, 2020 | 07:26 4 It is interesting that 2 of you are dry and 1 is wet. It started raining here about 2 in the morning and it raineth still. It would be interesting to hear from Helmsdale, Blaithin, AB5, Woodland and Ajl as to whether they are getting rain. I realize I missed a few of the regular Alberta posters but radar shows this rain covering a good sized area in a Alberta. I read an article the other day from Alberta agriculture not sure where that stated 80% of Alberta crops were good to excellent, I thought this was a bit optimistic. Many areas getting to the point of excess moisture imo. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 07:38 5 Good thing the radar doesn't work, it just causes stress watching it come to flood you out! That radar is a giant piece of shit. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 8, 2020 | 08:01 6
    Quote Originally Posted by sk_wheatking View Post
    Good thing the radar doesn't work, it just causes stress watching it come to flood you out! That radar is a giant piece of shit.


    Radar works here. It lives two miles from my in-laws and thirty miles from me. In case I can’t hear it currently raining on the roof I can watch it.

    Worst part is I have only seen one rainbow this year since it’s been sooooo gloomy. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 08:07 7 10.5in since may 1,, 1 1/4 since july 4 .6/10 last night and still raining. No hay made anywhere around here so far,crops look good considering amount or rain and no heat,but that may change yet. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • GDR
    Jul 8, 2020 | 08:12 8 Already wet and didnt need more. Forecast yesterday said 60% chance of showers and the rest of the week looked better than all year so far. Well started raining at 5pm yesterday and hasn't quit yet at 8am. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 08:16 9 I have never seen such huge angry systems approach from Montana/Idaho and pass over like a light spring shower. 2/10 from all that? Reply With Quote
    helmsdale's Avatar Jul 8, 2020 | 08:17 10 .52" last night. Crops had been drawing hard on surface moisture lately. The odd spot was starting to show moisture stress. But then in this area I've only ever seen one year, 2016, where crops never hurt for moisture at least once in the growing year. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 08:18 11 Possibly by the end of today if this keeps up we’ll reach our “normal” rainfall total for July. Over 3 inches last week and an inch that’s since Monday morning. Haven’t kept a running total as it would be more depressing.



    Obviously I can’t stop the rain. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 08:22 12 Stick a Fork in 2020 it's done. Poured all night again. Makes me sick the total amount since May 1st. Reply With Quote
    helmsdale's Avatar Jul 8, 2020 | 08:23 13

    Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 08:26 14 Name:  IMG_8459.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  98.3 KB

    Sahara Slum of the Ghetto rain gauge modification.

    Patent pending.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 8, 2020 at 09:09.
    Reply With Quote

  • Blaithin's Avatar Jul 8, 2020 | 08:30 15 Anyone in need of rain water, bring your trucks and tanks and pumps. Plenty lying around here!

    Free to good home.

    Delivery not available.

    FCFS.

    BYOB. Reply With Quote
    GDR
    Jul 8, 2020 | 08:45 16
    This about sums it up here! Reply With Quote

  • Jul 8, 2020 | 10:00 17 Rain just tapered off here ...
    right at 4 inches since 10 pm last night
    Water all over

    Sorry , just under 100 mm for the scientific crew lol
    Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 8, 2020 at 11:13.
    Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 8, 2020 | 10:19 18 Between 11/2 and 4 inches South of Biggar, 4" antelope park over by Kindersley, 21/2 at Perdue. Don't think I've seen this much precip in July either. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 10:34 19 CHance of showers yesterday and overnight. Has rained non stop here since late afternoon. That makes 53 consecutive days of rain according to the environment canada( actually 46, they show 0 on July 1, but there a widespread storm that rained all night and morning here, for a total of 25mm, so I suspect an error).

    Only 16 days without precipitation since March 1. Only 2 days without from April 29 to today.

    Crops were taking it well until the last event at the end of June. Quantity became quality. Water table is now above ground level in many places, not overland accumulation in low spots, but on slopes. Yellow and purple and late are the best way to describe crops in the general area. With pockets of excellent mixed in, not sure if it is soil, or spotty thunderstorms that account for the big differences.

    Yet in spite of that, it looks nothing like a typical wet year. Very little if any water running through the drainage ditches. Some areas that normally drown out due to heavy soil are fine, yet the slightest depression or flat area on a hilltop is a write-off. Water is oozing out of the hillsides in places( what I consider a hill, ~1% slope).

    I sure am excited about haying again this year. These light droughted out hay crops should be easy to get dry in the couple hours of sunshine we get between rains....

    Still trying to dry fall and spring crops with fans alone. 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 10:51 20
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    Still trying to dry fall and spring crops with fans alone. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.
    Gave up on that. Now saving the environment at the rate of 4.64 cents per liter of LP Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • GDR
    Jul 8, 2020 | 11:11 21
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    CHance of showers yesterday and overnight. Has rained non stop here since late afternoon. That makes 53 consecutive days of rain according to the environment canada( actually 46, they show 0 on July 1, but there a widespread storm that rained all night and morning here, for a total of 25mm, so I suspect an error).

    Only 16 days without precipitation since March 1. Only 2 days without from April 29 to today.

    Crops were taking it well until the last event at the end of June. Quantity became quality. Water table is now above ground level in many places, not overland accumulation in low spots, but on slopes. Yellow and purple and late are the best way to describe crops in the general area. With pockets of excellent mixed in, not sure if it is soil, or spotty thunderstorms that account for the big differences.

    Yet in spite of that, it looks nothing like a typical wet year. Very little if any water running through the drainage ditches. Some areas that normally drown out due to heavy soil are fine, yet the slightest depression or flat area on a hilltop is a write-off. Water is oozing out of the hillsides in places( what I consider a hill, ~1% slope).

    I sure am excited about haying again this year. These light droughted out hay crops should be easy to get dry in the couple hours of sunshine we get between rains....

    Still trying to dry fall and spring crops with fans alone. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.
    Similar situation here except the seasonal creeks are like small rivers. Dog has a 2 gallon pail of water to drink out of, havent put water in it yet this year, rain has kept it full even with her drinking and evaporation.


    Not sure you should waste your time drying grain unless you gotta hold it for tax reasons. Feedmills and feedlots crying for grain, not discounting much. Even the elevators have had some good immediate delivery premiums for canola, I suspect they might make a sweet deal on tough stuff also. Not far away from what they consider new crop harvest pressure and empty feedlots and you know what that means for pricing.
    Last edited by GDR; Jul 8, 2020 at 11:14.
    Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 8, 2020 | 11:15 22 We are down at least 50% yield, fields are water from one end to the other, literally! Grade and disease will kill us even further.

    The only upside is that the fields can’t hold anymore and the 6/10 we got this morning will have to run off.

    An example for those that think I might exaggerate and that ruts still produce.

    Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • Jul 8, 2020 | 11:43 23 We at Ghetto Central are better off than the guys drowning.
    Let me make it clear I'm only speaking for myself
    The crop might be smaller but easier to manage here. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jul 8, 2020 | 12:26 24 Got that right Farma but....... the year ain’t over. Just our luck the pattern will shift east about the time the harvesters hit the field. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 12:57 25 The 4 inch was not terrible but this just changed ......

    Time will tell I guess next 12 hrs where we end up

    Just moved on to “Bad Moon Rising “ lol
    Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 8, 2020 at 13:50.
    Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 15:58 26 Unity area , varies a bit
    My gauges 2 1/4 -3 1/4
    In unity 4 , I wonder how much more
    Is on the way. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Jul 8, 2020 | 20:57 27 Any body have a total for that Lamont Waskatenau area?
    They were at 18" two weeks ago already.
    Yikes!. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 21:20 28 I guess I'm the "Fortunate Son" with 8/10s last night, 9/10s a week and a half ago. Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 21:26 29 124 mil in 24 hours Reply With Quote
    Jul 8, 2020 | 21:28 30 1.5” here so far. Kinda an anomaly compared to surrounding area. Lloydminster general area anywheres from 2” to 5.5” last night and today. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like