• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed depth ......

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed depth ......

Makes a big difference
    It’s the small things that can make a huge difference....

1/2 in shallower on left
    Same variety.
    We pulled into this field with the old 8910 , did 15 ac to check seed rate
    This field had NH3 last fall . The previous field we did was standing stubble and much firmer .
    Something that we don’t see with the Horsch .
    Thought it was interesting, hopefully no one offended lol

Insignificant question, how much dry phos with seed? Opener? Total depth on left?

Comment

It was a weird year....ground was firm with some moisture but guys didn't trust forecast because of the misses last year....seeded deeper than normal this year....

And yet you see the same results everywhere on fields...patches or blanks....or late crop still coming...

Comment

I have some neighbors who seeded their canola almost a full month later than me, but their crop is about even and more consistent. First rain was June 12. 3 yr in a row with no rain for the month of may.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          I have some neighbors who seeded their canola almost a full month later than me, but their crop is about even and more consistent. First rain was June 12. 3 yr in a row with no rain for the month of may.
          Found the same thing on my reseed on flax....the later stuff is way more consistent and a much better start.

I have to learn to be more patient ....

Comment

In the south you had to keep lowering the depth. With winds of 30-80k on a daily basis you had to watch closely to depth. Seemed everyday you could have gone down deeper. I didn’t seed canola, but cereals you can seed deep and they will come up.
            I found where a truck or the semi drive those areas didn’t come up very good .... if all.
            No rain and hurricane winds made for a challenging spring to say the least.

Comment

Furrow do you always seed to moisture if it’s dry or always into moisture? How much moisture over the seed?

What depths are the canola pictures at? If I remember depths in 1/4 inch increments?

What do others do, always seed in the moisture or always seed at a certain depth?

I’ve always seeded with moisture over the seed target, doesn’t matter how deep or what the forecast is, due to forecast variability and odds of May showers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                Furrow do you always seed to moisture if it’s dry or always into moisture? How much moisture over the seed?

What depths are the canola pictures at? If I remember depths in 1/4 inch increments?

What do others do, always seed in the moisture or always seed at a certain depth?

I’ve always seeded with moisture over the seed target, doesn’t matter how deep or what the forecast is, due to forecast variability and odds of May showers.
                I'll go as deep as an inch, if moisture is below that i go to the surface and don't look till it rains. Have gone as long as july 1 waiting. Which still made it. But im less then an hour from the treeline.

Edit, am tempted to try deeper with phd i have but instead of increasing packing, backing it off just to maintain shanks from tripping. Starting to rethink what ive been doing after 25 years.
                Last edited by macdon02; Jul 7, 2020, 08:22.

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
                  Insignificant question, how much dry phos with seed? Opener? Total depth on left?
                  4.5 gal Alpine G22 Split into 3.5 in Dutch paired row openers.
                  Total seed depth on left was just under 1 inch
                  Was 1.5 before we changed quick lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post

Have not used this drill for canola in 3 years
                    Just a single point seed depth on the 8910’s

The Horsch is 1/8 th inch increments. But totally different set up than any drill .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      4.5 gal Alpine G22 Split into 3.5 in Dutch paired row openers.
                      Total seed depth on left was just under 1 inch
                      Was 1.5 before we changed quick lol
                      So that would be no dry in seedrow.... i think it's a lot more toxic in seedrow then we are led to believe, that goes for S15 as well imo. Going deeper, chasing moisture is magnifying the effect, imo, here. Colder ground gives what little salt is there more opportunity to fry it.

Comment

So that would be no dry in seedrow.... i think it's a lot more toxic in seedrow then we are led to believe, that goes for S15 as well imo. Going deeper, chasing moisture is magnifying the effect, imo, here. Colder ground gives what little salt is there more opportunity to fry it.
                        No dry at all , and agree totally with what your saying . I have seen that many , many times

I will try to find a picture of an extremely obvious fert burn situation in Canola from a few years ago . One plugged fert run on a seed master . Difference was huge

Comment

50lbs MES15 in seed row vs side banded no appreciable difference imo.

Comment

Cereals I've gone as deep as 6 inches from the top of the undisturbed soil surface to find moisture. Once you punch it out with the packer, it's about 3.5-4" below the bottom of the furrow.

Comment

I always try to seed to moisture but with clay land that can be tricky. i will almost always have moisture when seeding but come back 3 days after seeding and the moisture will always be below the seed so you have to seed deeper than moisture. I Try and keep canola under an inch and pack it hopefully enough to get good soil to seed contact. When its cold its the worst because the seed just sits there and the moisture disappears.

Wet clay dose not pack nice!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.