Seed depth ......

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Seed depth ......

Jul 7, 2020 | 07:28 1 Makes a big difference
It’s the small things that can make a huge difference....

1/2 in shallower on left
Same variety.
We pulled into this field with the old 8910 , did 15 ac to check seed rate
This field had NH3 last fall . The previous field we did was standing stubble and much firmer .
Something that we don’t see with the Horsch .
Thought it was interesting, hopefully no one offended lol Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2020 | 07:40 2 Insignificant question, how much dry phos with seed? Opener? Total depth on left? Reply With Quote
Jul 7, 2020 | 07:46 3 It was a weird year....ground was firm with some moisture but guys didn't trust forecast because of the misses last year....seeded deeper than normal this year....

And yet you see the same results everywhere on fields...patches or blanks....or late crop still coming... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 7, 2020 | 07:50 4 I have some neighbors who seeded their canola almost a full month later than me, but their crop is about even and more consistent. First rain was June 12. 3 yr in a row with no rain for the month of may. Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2020 | 07:57 5
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
    I have some neighbors who seeded their canola almost a full month later than me, but their crop is about even and more consistent. First rain was June 12. 3 yr in a row with no rain for the month of may.
    Found the same thing on my reseed on flax....the later stuff is way more consistent and a much better start.

I have to learn to be more patient .... Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2020 | 08:03 6 In the south you had to keep lowering the depth. With winds of 30-80k on a daily basis you had to watch closely to depth. Seemed everyday you could have gone down deeper. I didn’t seed canola, but cereals you can seed deep and they will come up.
    I found where a truck or the semi drive those areas didn’t come up very good .... if all.
    No rain and hurricane winds made for a challenging spring to say the least. Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2020 | 08:14 7 Furrow do you always seed to moisture if it’s dry or always into moisture? How much moisture over the seed?

What depths are the canola pictures at? If I remember depths in 1/4 inch increments?

What do others do, always seed in the moisture or always seed at a certain depth?

I’ve always seeded with moisture over the seed target, doesn’t matter how deep or what the forecast is, due to forecast variability and odds of May showers. Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2020 | 08:19 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rareearth View Post
    Furrow do you always seed to moisture if it’s dry or always into moisture? How much moisture over the seed?

What depths are the canola pictures at? If I remember depths in 1/4 inch increments?

What do others do, always seed in the moisture or always seed at a certain depth?

I’ve always seeded with moisture over the seed target, doesn’t matter how deep or what the forecast is, due to forecast variability and odds of May showers.
    I'll go as deep as an inch, if moisture is below that i go to the surface and don't look till it rains. Have gone as long as july 1 waiting. Which still made it. But im less then an hour from the treeline.

Edit, am tempted to try deeper with phd i have but instead of increasing packing, backing it off just to maintain shanks from tripping. Starting to rethink what ive been doing after 25 years.
    Last edited by macdon02; Jul 7, 2020 at 08:22.
    Jul 7, 2020 | 08:29 9
    Quote Originally Posted by macdon02 View Post
    Insignificant question, how much dry phos with seed? Opener? Total depth on left?
    4.5 gal Alpine G22 Split into 3.5 in Dutch paired row openers.
    Total seed depth on left was just under 1 inch
    Was 1.5 before we changed quick lol Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 7, 2020 | 08:37 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rareearth View Post
    Furrow do you always seed to moisture if it’s dry or always into moisture? How much moisture over the seed?

I’ve always seeded with moisture over the seed target, doesn’t matter how deep or what the forecast is, due to forecast variability and odds of May showers.
    Have not used this drill for canola in 3 years
    Just a single point seed depth on the 8910’s

The Horsch is 1/8 th inch increments. But totally different set up than any drill . Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2020 | 08:38 11
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    4.5 gal Alpine G22 Split into 3.5 in Dutch paired row openers.
    Total seed depth on left was just under 1 inch
    Was 1.5 before we changed quick lol
    So that would be no dry in seedrow.... i think it's a lot more toxic in seedrow then we are led to believe, that goes for S15 as well imo. Going deeper, chasing moisture is magnifying the effect, imo, here. Colder ground gives what little salt is there more opportunity to fry it. Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2020 | 08:45 12
    So that would be no dry in seedrow.... i think it's a lot more toxic in seedrow then we are led to believe, that goes for S15 as well imo. Going deeper, chasing moisture is magnifying the effect, imo, here. Colder ground gives what little salt is there more opportunity to fry it.
    No dry at all , and agree totally with what your saying . I have seen that many , many times

I will try to find a picture of an extremely obvious fert burn situation in Canola from a few years ago . One plugged fert run on a seed master . Difference was huge Reply With Quote
    biglentil's Avatar Jul 7, 2020 | 09:01 13
    So that would be no dry in seedrow.... i think it's a lot more toxic in seedrow then we are led to believe, that goes for S15 as well imo. Going deeper, chasing moisture is magnifying the effect, imo, here. Colder ground gives what little salt is there more opportunity to fry it.
    50lbs MES15 in seed row vs side banded no appreciable difference imo. Reply With Quote
    helmsdale's Avatar Jul 7, 2020 | 09:04 14 Cereals I've gone as deep as 6 inches from the top of the undisturbed soil surface to find moisture. Once you punch it out with the packer, it's about 3.5-4" below the bottom of the furrow. Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2020 | 09:08 15 I always try to seed to moisture but with clay land that can be tricky. i will almost always have moisture when seeding but come back 3 days after seeding and the moisture will always be below the seed so you have to seed deeper than moisture. I Try and keep canola under an inch and pack it hopefully enough to get good soil to seed contact. When its cold its the worst because the seed just sits there and the moisture disappears.

Wet clay dose not pack nice! Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Jul 7, 2020 | 09:29 16 Flea beetles have been a huge problem here in recent years. I find if canola is seeded little bit too deep it takes too long to come up, That treatment must have lost its efficacy, And the The Beatles just destroy everything as soon as it pops out.
    I used rigid frame drill so I see this every Time it goes over a hump, ridge or hilltop.
    It always rains here, so I am usually satisfied just to have most canola seeds covered, and if 10% are on the surface, they will still grow. At least that was the plan until we had no moisture at all in May and June for a few years. Now I put it in too deep, and it never stops raining... everything is works until it doesn't. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Jul 7, 2020 | 10:39 17 Here you can see the precision drills from the road again. Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2020 | 10:58 18 Farming. And next year doing the exact same everything, the emergence will be opposite.

Always the right method but wrong year for most of us mortals. Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2020 | 11:13 19
    Quote Originally Posted by tweety View Post
    Farming. And next year doing the exact same everything, the emergence will be opposite.

Always the right method but wrong year for most of us mortals.

Yep, I'm really good at preparing for the catastrophes we had last year with my 20/20 hindsight. And mother nature is really good at New and highly creative combinations of catastrophes to throw at me. Reply With Quote
    Jul 7, 2020 | 11:16 20
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
    Here you can see the precision drills from the road again.
    In a good way or a bad way? Operator or equipment deserves the credit /blame? Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Jul 7, 2020 | 17:21 21 Here, in my opinion, better. Last several years. 2 reasons. In my non peer, non reviewed opinion.
    1 Better straw management required.
    2 By design nature, less depth variance. Reply With Quote

• Jul 7, 2020 | 21:50 22
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    I seed her half inch

Then Pray for Rain !
    I'm a gambling atheist.

Put it in and fugetaboutit. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• biglentil's Avatar Jul 7, 2020 | 21:55 23 For two years in a row would have been better off seeding it 3/8's of an inch into dust and have it wait for rain. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 8, 2020 | 08:44 24
    Quote Originally Posted by biglentil View Post
    For two years in a row would have been better off seeding it 3/8's of an inch into dust and have it wait for rain.
    And not getting in a hurry to seed in early May or late april when its dry.....Lots of guys had it in early in 2019 and waited until june for the crop to get going.... Reply With Quote