• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter wheat

After a series of good years, winter wheat does not look to be as profitable this year compared with other crops. Still a long way from the bin but stand is not as tall or thick compared with other years. Cold spring weather also made it later heading and flowering.
    Past few years have seen good prices for feed wheat, price sometimes right up with spring wheat. Past year P and H paid a good price for low falling number winter wheat, think it went to their own flour mills.
    Business case can still be made for fall seeded crops, spreading out work load for seeding and harvest equipment. Still a challenge to get spring seeded crop off in time for fall seeding.

We used o do very well with winter wheat. Had some great yields with Kesttrel. But now hard red spring wheat is yielding 80 to even 100 bushels per acre vs winter wheat now at 60 there's not much of a case for winter wheat.

It really was the CWB that sunk winter wheat. Their focus on CWRS made it so there was little investment in winter wheat breeding.

I like to be back into,winter wheat but we need higher yielding varieties.
    Last edited by Braveheart; Jul 5, 2020, 13:54.

Comment

Need cold tolerance on the scale of rye. Then again where winterkill is bad your harvests are late enough the winter wheat seeding window is gone.

Comment

I like winter wheat and used to grow a fair bit, but have quit growing it all together. I agree that with spring wheat yields increasing winter wheat has not kept up. Also I wonder if the May frosts/cold we always seem to get (we are Yorkton area) hurt it more than you think once it has broke dormancy.

Comment

Getting anything off up here in time to seed it a first problem.

Comment

Braveheart

"But now hard red spring wheat is yielding 80 to even 100 bushels per acre vs winter wheat now at 60 there's not much of a case for winter wheat.

It really was the CWB that sunk winter wheat. Their focus on CWRS made it so there was little investment in winter wheat breeding. "

Nice of you Braveheart to give credit to the CWB for getting the breeders to invest into CWRS to get the yields to 100 bushels /acre. Did you go through those old WCWGA notes of yours to come to that realization?

Comment

Cwb

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
              Braveheart

"But now hard red spring wheat is yielding 80 to even 100 bushels per acre vs winter wheat now at 60 there's not much of a case for winter wheat.

It really was the CWB that sunk winter wheat. Their focus on CWRS made it so there was little investment in winter wheat breeding. "

Nice of you Braveheart to give credit to the CWB for getting the breeders to invest into CWRS to get the yields to 100 bushels /acre. Did you go through those old WCWGA notes of yours to come to that realization?
              There was never a thing good about cwb like I said before my farm is doing way better without it if they ever try bringing that back u will see me going to the rallies

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                Braveheart

Ha. No I don't have any notes. This came from winter wheat breeder Anita Babel-Brûlée. Very frustrated winter wheat breeder at the time.

Interesting how CWRS wheat breeding exploded AFTER the demise of overlords. #wheatfreedommatteredafterall.

Comment

Didn't mean to hit like button. Arthritic thumbs from punching the wall over CWB FRUSTATIONS..

Comment

The other winter wheat issue is fertility (N). When we had our best results we still could use 34-0-0. Now without ammonium nitrate and UAN really not readily available at our outlets the only option has been urea which doesn't broadcast efficiently.

Comment

Dam that CWB, altering fertilizer supplies to the outlets! Brave, supply/demand economics 101 applies to everything, you see now?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...