• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday crop report on a Thursday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
    Seed companies are no dummies, with singulation becoming available on air drills, we will no doubt have a canola (and wheat etc) seed price based on that. So that $750 50 lb bag of seed will be $1500 based on the assumption of 2.5 lbs per seed rate vs the current 5.0. At least lots of guys around here already have a corn planter, just need to buy a set of canola plates.
    I've been predicting this for a while. Ever since furrow has been posting pics and comments about his canola seeded with the planter. Told him the SeedCo will steal his efficiency.

Don't forget the extra work needed to make using a planter a viable option. Maybe extra trash management and a tillage operation and a fert program etc. I'm sure some of those operations are combined but extra is required.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 4, 2020, 08:26.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
      So after reading rain reports did everyone get something some ways to much , but alleviated the dry for a week or two?
      The dry spots were rescued by some last minute rains however, some of the wetter areas got some real damaging down pours with it. Some places already have their seasons rainfall or more by now. And there are coolish conditions predicted. Snowed in the rockies on Canada day. We aren't out of the woods by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Don't forget the extra work needed to make using a planter a viable option. Maybe extra trash management and a tillage operation and a fert program etc. I'm sure some.of those operations are combines but extra is required.
        farma, around here guys are experimenting with a lot of things. Canola following lentils so no trash problems, looser seedbed, better subsoil mositure and more broadcasting/floating on nitrogen removing it entirely from near the seed rows. Improving mortality, faster start, quicker seeding.

While some of us were fighting bugs until things got going, these guys didn't have to worry about that. Had a much faster start it seems.

Comment

We heard a few good claps of thunder after 9 pm but only 1 tenths hit the ground here. Thinking maybe today if Bigzee quits hogging it. 😂 Happy for you Bigzee Planes flying yet?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            We heard a few good claps of thunder after 9 pm but only 1 tenths hit the ground here. Thinking maybe today if Bigzee quits hogging it. 😂 Happy for you Bigzee Planes flying yet?
            Had the plane spraying Barley yesterday, finish up this morning.

Comment

Fungicide?

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                Fungicide?
                Yes .. used Nexicore. Have always used Quilt but was hard to find.

Comment

It’s been a challenging couple of days. Big wind storm that knocked the power out for 21 hours and trying to get the cutter bees out in the field. We always take them out at night and it was a very nice night this year. I was very fortunate to miss the hail that pounded on all sides of us. The picture of the sky was at midnight looking north.

Comment

I am not sure why I can’t get two pics on one post?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                      farma, around here guys are experimenting with a lot of things. Canola following lentils so no trash problems, looser seedbed, better subsoil mositure and more broadcasting/floating on nitrogen removing it entirely from near the seed rows. Improving mortality, faster start, quicker seeding.

While some of us were fighting bugs until things got going, these guys didn't have to worry about that. Had a much faster start it seems.
                      Wouldnt that put the planted canola crop at risk of blowing in the spring or is there enough lentil 'stubble' left behind to hold the soil down? Around here where we work the land black in the fall but, but ensure enough straw is left on the fields for next years canola crop, or risk it getting blown out or wind sheared off should it be a dry spring.

There are some pretty good trash management systems on planters these days but still, planting canola 1/2" deep with any trash, could be a challenge.

Comment

With Horsch at 2.3 into wheat stubble with NH3 last fall

With an older bourgault 8 inch 8800 with poly packers at 5.8 lbs , same variety right across the road . He always gets nice even stand but takes his time at 3.4 mph .

Any seeding unit will work when set up right and operator takes care of the little things .

We most likely will not spray fungicide again
                        He most likely will . Both should be nice crops hopefully.

Comment

Sunflowers 🌻 with the old JD 7000 8 row 30 inch

Had a mess with a massive amount of cleavers in newly acquired land . Got them now with last shot weed control.
                          Will be neat in a month to see

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            Sunflowers 🌻 with the old JD 7000 8 row 30 inch

Will be neat in a month to see
                            F.I.L. stuffed them in with a 8810 and combined with a d****r header. I thought it would be like throwing caraganas through the machine, but there was hardly anything bigger than my thumb nail that came out the back end! Quite a crop to watch grow, just not alot of buyers in this neighborhood.

Comment

Thanks furrows for all The info.

I’m losing interest in this years crop thanks to the weather and it’s nice to see someone pick up the slack.

Every one post your pictures and share info it’s good for farmers because we’re all we have. Gov and industry use us and don’t care.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                                Thanks furrows for all The info.

I’m losing interest in this years crop thanks to the weather and it’s nice to see someone pick up the slack.

Every one post your pictures and share info it’s good for farmers because we’re all we have. Gov and industry use us and don’t care.
                                Well I got sick of the “industry” push several years ago and seen the treadmill of more more more . It benefits the retails and industry only 8/10 years .
                                We definitely look outside the box and like what we see . It’s a better world lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.