Friday crop report on a Thursday.

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Friday crop report on a Thursday.

SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 2, 2020 | 20:50 1 Well as you can see I slipped up today. Got busy doing things cleaning yard and doing a fricking dance, because it rained a extra 2 tents last night and we got to a 1 inch total rain for the three days. Each soaked in quick and the last actually got the layers to touch.

I’m excited because our roots are going down an now if we get one or two more showers we could do ok if a heat wave it’s in July.

Total for year since snow left 2.5 inches.

Did here some had hail and yes the heavy rain is causing problems.

Storms are strong and damaging when they get going.

Name:  CE18C488-1665-4F31-908E-4840A71A59C5.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  19.8 KB

Ok here we go.

Hrs/durum is any where from heading to flag to first tiller in our area. Most are done spraying and waiting on fungicide app if they do spray. Lots saying wait see. Early wheat did have issues with the heat and extreme dry and winds. Smaller heads. Later by five days seeding this was a billion dollar rain.

Oats is done spraying and growing nice.

Flax is done spraying bu lots are thin do to dry and windy conditions.

Barley is thinner than usual but starting to fill in. Lots done spraying and waiting on fungicide. Heads on some fields coming out.

Peas look goon except fields that were peas to many times. Even if it’s dry the 8 year rule works. Odd flower so fungicides will happen. Lentils love the dry and heat doing real good.

Canola is all over the map but most have a good catch and odd one flowering or bolting. The last spray for weeds happening on double spray liberty. Most in our area is liberty now.

Pastures needed the drink but need some more. Hay first cut is ok on newer seeded fields but old hay fields first cut will be poor.

Again rain was welcome by all. It is all over the map as we are going no general rain just showers or thunder storms. You catch one your a genius.

Be careful and enjoy summer. It’s a great time to live here. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 2, 2020 | 20:54 2 Fall rye is thinner but filling.

Name:  E01B6322-F27F-47D3-8AA8-6047AFD4E5B0.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  20.5 KB

Name:  CF32B96F-C4A7-4ED1-876F-6DC330B9597A.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  18.9 KB

Name:  15A0C5D4-9AAA-4BC5-8CB2-3AA5E8EDACE0.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  2F505879-472D-4753-9888-006C02BF4B38.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  19.2 KB Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 2, 2020 | 22:26 3 900 mill To Sophie’s Charity to hand out money for volunteering students.

Wow is all I can say Reply With Quote

• Jul 2, 2020 | 22:47 4
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    900 mill To Sophie’s Charity to hand out money for volunteering students.

Wow is all I can say
    These are actually virtual volunteers. They don't have to actually do anything but have a zoom meeting with these crook founders and they get paid, plus the kick back to sophie. Tax payer funded alimony.

You can watch the actors right here a day after the announcement. Watch that body language from the happy first couple. Jokes on us.

https://twitter.com/MarissaNovetsky/status/1278892181420466177 Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Jul 2, 2020 | 23:09 5 Wiped out half the farm today in 10 mins plus a couple more inches of rain Name:  30897518-729D-4398-9924-273E147C91F2.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  17.5 KBName:  C2BE4473-846F-480E-8583-FB94692C016E.jpg
Size:  20.0 KB
    A before and after pic Reply With Quote
    GDR
    Jul 2, 2020 | 23:18 6
    Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
    Wiped out half the farm today in 10 mins plus a couple more inches of rain Name:  30897518-729D-4398-9924-273E147C91F2.jpg
Size:  17.5 KBName:  C2BE4473-846F-480E-8583-FB94692C016E.jpg
Size:  20.0 KB
    A before and after pic
    Sorry, that sucks, been there. Hopefully there will be regrowth of some value for you since its still kinda early. Reply With Quote
    Jul 2, 2020 | 23:35 7 And also had a tornado or plow wind or some ****in thing
    Hundreds of trees down , bins etc layin all over
    And all that ****sucken weather channel did was to warn us to wash our hands
    A quonset blew across somones yard and ripped part of their house roof off
    Some of those 30000 bu flat bottom bins flat on west side Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 3, 2020 | 00:58 8
    And also had a tornado or plow wind or some ****in thing
    Some of those 30000 bu flat bottom bins flat on west side
    That is horrible. Hopefully everyone is safe and can start rebuilding. Mother nature sure is humbling at times. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 3, 2020 | 04:55 9 CaseIH that is awful.

Being most of our land is fairly close we lost 21 quarters to a hail storm.

We had the stupid hail company that year come out and defer it till August before they settled. REally pissed me off.

The storms this year seem to pack one heck of a punch. Last week Brandon huge amounts of rain and hail and tornado. Calgary Before. Southey with hail that was like a snowstorm. Reply With Quote
    Jul 3, 2020 | 05:37 10 Nuts. Too bad about the hail. Sorry to hear that.

As far as Weather Network, if it wasn't on the toy radar it didn't happen Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 3, 2020 | 05:49 11 .9" last few days gets us to 2.35" this year. Crops look great for the amount of rain we've had. Subsoil moisture was great, crops well rooted. Sprayed fungicide on peas, barley and one wheat field yesterday. All look great, barley and wheat a bit short but very even with good sized heads. Starting canola this morning, will see how it looks. Couldn't make up mind on Canola fungicide, but looked at forecast for humidity and showery days ahead, better protect it. There is a pocket SF3 we are in with very little rain, big difference from a lot of the rest of the west. I think this rain was just in time. Reply With Quote
    Jul 3, 2020 | 06:13 12 15 in corn on right
    30 in corn left

15 in soybeans right
    30 in soybeans left

Jul 3, 2020 | 06:19 13
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    15 in corn on right
    30 in corn left

15 in soybeans right
    30 in soybeans left

Why the difference? What did I miss? Reply With Quote
    Jul 3, 2020 | 06:22 14
    Sorry to hear that case. Not a good feeling to see all the work get destroyed in a few minutes.
    I know it’s a cliche but as long as no one got hurt that’s what counts.

And yes some better warning should be in this day and age of technology. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Jul 3, 2020 | 07:51 15
    15 in corn on right
    30 in corn left

15 in soybeans right
    30 in soybeans left

Was both sides planted the same day and depth? The soybeans sure are showing a difference. Reply With Quote
    Jul 3, 2020 | 07:59 16 I think the difference just dawned on me.

In row competition because of the higher seed concentration.

Likely the same number of seeds per acre.

Less SBU in 30 inches versus 15 inches.

No Agrology degree here(on my part). Maybe no common sense either. Reply With Quote
    biglentil's Avatar Jul 3, 2020 | 08:45 17
    Quote Originally Posted by woodland View Post
    Was both sides planted the same day and depth? The soybeans sure are showing a difference.
    Biologicals perhaps? Spacing looks different. One drilled in one planted? Whatever it is the flag is not necessary :-). Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jul 3, 2020 | 09:04 18 Sad to hear Case. Isn't easy on anybody when Mother Nature is rough. Reply With Quote
    Jul 3, 2020 | 10:15 19
    We saw a storm like that plow through in, I think 2005. Only buildings undamaged were steel, double wall with foam insulation. Everything else, house roof, windows, horse barn- blew away. We still are replacing some small things. Insurance-good but not great. Reply With Quote
    Jul 3, 2020 | 14:04 20
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    I think the difference just dawned on me.

In row competition because of the higher seed concentration.

Likely the same number of seeds per acre.

Less SBU in 30 inches versus 15 inches.

No Agrology degree here(on my part). Maybe no common sense either.
    Pretty much bang on Reply With Quote
    Jul 3, 2020 | 20:38 21
    Pretty much bang on
    ......bang on what? No common sense? Reply With Quote
    biglentil's Avatar Jul 3, 2020 | 22:02 22 Identical seed depth and fert program? Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jul 4, 2020 | 05:25 23 Furrow if you can get a few pictures of the Planter seeded Canola.

Thanks Reply With Quote
    Jul 4, 2020 | 06:25 24 P501L

2.2 lbs , 6.5 tkw
    On wheat stubble
    NH3 last fall
  • 1 Like

• Jul 4, 2020 | 06:52 25
    P501L

2.2 lbs , 6.5 tkw
    On wheat stubble
    NH3 last fall
    You are going to make canola seed $1500 a bag. Reply With Quote
    Jul 4, 2020 | 07:05 26
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
    You are going to make canola seed $1500 a bag.
    Lol , planters been in use for a long time before we got one .
    The percentage of farmers using planters is very minuscule.
    And they have their downsides as well like any machine .
    But happy with establishment again this year.
    Up to Mother Nature now .
    We all just seen what happened to CaseIH and that big area . Gone in 20 min .
    Ahh but farming sooooo easy lol , I still shake my head at those that think it’s all easy street ... Reply With Quote
    Jul 4, 2020 | 07:23 27 Did you read about this guy in Mb seeding with an old hoe drill.

https://www.country-guide.ca/crops/getting-to-higher-canola-emergence/ Reply With Quote
    Jul 4, 2020 | 07:55 28 So after reading rain reports did everyone get something some ways to much , but alleviated the dry for a week or two? Reply With Quote
    Jul 4, 2020 | 08:07 29
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
    You are going to make canola seed $1500 a bag.
    Seed companies are no dummies, with singulation becoming available on air drills, we will no doubt have a canola (and wheat etc) seed price based on that. So that $750 50 lb bag of seed will be $1500 based on the assumption of 2.5 lbs per seed rate vs the current 5.0. At least lots of guys around here already have a corn planter, just need to buy a set of canola plates. Reply With Quote
    Jul 4, 2020 | 08:10 30 There were some nasty storms in south central Sk last night. At our farm nothing major ... half inch rain, now gives us between 3.5-4 inches in a wk.
    Friend had a couple fert bins fall over, another got hailed out on some land, they are just west of Assiniboia. Further west of Assiniboia I’m assuming there was a lot of hail.
    Radar was purple/red which isn’t a good sign.
    I’m at a lake half hr NW of Assiniboia nothing much here .. couple tenths. But 5 miles south there was lots of action.
    Guess it’s that time of the year. Reply With Quote