• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sounds like most of the prairies is either too dry, or too wet? Any truth to that?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like most of the prairies is either too dry, or too wet? Any truth to that?

If the most vocal posters lately are any indication, then most of the prairies are either underwater, or in severe drought. I haven't been anywhere to see for myself. Is the silent majority somewhere in between and not saying much? There must be some happy medium between the two extremes, is it significant in area?

Locally, we have had rain almost every day all spring. some 2 and 3 " events, and not enough heat, plus a good hail storm on the weekend. Lots of lakes and drownouts, and still lots of fieldwork going on, not sure if it was ever intended for crop or silage or summer fallow, still some 2019 crop out as well. That said, things look good, but late, on our own land, drownouts are not significant, and was able to seed almost every acre, except some new to us that still need work to dry up. Need a hot summer and long fall with no early frost.

Every year there are winners and losers. Key is to not be a loser too often.

Was a loser last year. Hoping to be a winner this year, but still playing catchup from last year.

Comment

Big ****ing loser this year just can’t buy a rain. But spring harvest was awesome so I guess that’s my harvest. Custom harvest might be available this fall for work.

Comment

My porridge is just right.

The crop guys are hovering on being a bit too wet. It’s interesting to look at the crops and see so much of them just wanting to be yellow, yet the pastures are fine. Albeit some areas are growing slough grasses where they haven’t for a while. The resilience and adaptability of perennial plants is definitely showing this year.

Getting between a half inch and full inch most weeks. Some are delivering much more than that. This weekend looks to be a soaker again.

Sure growing a good crop of mosquitoes anyway!

Comment

I'm looking "good" here so far. I put that in quotes, because my definition of good is probably what the high production guys would classify as "shit"... Potential is still there for an above average crop, soil moisture in top 12" is acceptable, but top inch has pretty much turned to concrete. If i could put an order in and not feel even the slightest bit guilty about it, I'd book an inch this weekend, and another about the 10th of june, then it could get dry till mid october.

Comment

We in an ok Zone here
            Wet north of us and dry south , but a long ways south
            We could use rain soon though , been 14 days without much .
            Light land NE of here showing drought stress , canola now blue on the sandy land

Comment

South of Biggar conditions are near perfect. Sorry, I feel bad posting that when we have been the one so many times looking to the skys praying for a rain. Some of our land didn't see a rain till now last year and things turned around.

Comment

Speaking of rain or lack of.....why the phuck cant chemical companies make a chemical suited for this part of the world....

As an example...Make Authority with the equivalent of agrotain on it so it lasts until a rain event...12 days from application to rain and it was too long for it to work....

Comment

Its dry.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	42-26607924.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	769871

Comment

Have had an inch of rain since May 1st. Not enuf considering we were very dry last year. Crops are hanging on but will but headed in the wrong direction soon if it don’t start raining soon. We need a lot to replenish the subsoil moisture. Have to be careful what I ask for because I have seen it go in the other direction and that sucks to.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      Its dry.......

[ATTACH]6281[/ATTACH]
                      Yes, I think you might have mentioned that a time or two. But did you just make the rain gods angry, and everywhere else in your travels is in perfect shape, or is it wide spread?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        Yes, I think you might have mentioned that a time or two. But did you just make the rain gods angry, and everywhere else in your travels is in perfect shape, or is it wide spread?
                        I'm not allowed to leave the confines of the Ghetto.
                        It is believed that if I "escape" I won't return.

Therefore, I have no idea what's happening outside or beyond my "backyarditis" infliction.

Comment

Conditions about ideal here. More like the good old days before the year 2004.

Comment

I put in a TPA, well actually a TRA, R for rain and it was filled the last two evenings.

Let it grow, let it grow.

Comment

Alberta crop report has all the info you need, and more.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/f84be694-fbec-4428-ba3c-b19b408d157e/resource/48bffac0-61f7-4c39-8ec0-ba8afed9e05b/download/af-ecb-alberta-crop-report-2020-06-23-abbreviated-report.pdf https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/f84be694-fbec-4428-ba3c-b19b408d157e/resource/48bffac0-61f7-4c39-8ec0-ba8afed9e05b/download/af-ecb-alberta-crop-report-2020-06-23-abbreviated-report.pdf

Not as bad as what it seems judging by the moisture ratings chart, but you look at the map and there's a lot of blue.

We certainly are in the excessive moisture category. Could use a drone sprayer for fungicides. Fields already rutted out bad.
                              Last edited by Marusko; Jun 26, 2020, 13:28.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.