Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

SASKFARMER's Avatar Jun 25, 2020 | 05:15 1 Well, this report will be an easy one we need a ****ing rain real bad and have missed every single rain shower this spring. tenths don't do jack shit. Two more weeks and we go fishing with this heat and wind it will be over.

Everyone is done seeding and a few are still picking stones.

Most are trying on every calm day to catch up spraying. Wind this spring has been insane every day from the SE then next day as hard as the day before from the NW. 5 windy and one calm.

HRS is advancing very fast and will try to head in the next week or two. Yield is determined at the 3 to 5 leaf so the big crop for our area is all but gone for HRS. Most have completed spraying or are just finishing up with chemicals that can go as late as the flag. Weed problems are min. With rain, we could turn this puppy around some but it is fast deteriorating. 6 out of 10.

Barley is in the same boat. All are done spraying and odd one thinks about leaf disease but with the heat and wind and zero rain, it looks like that will be missed. Plants are advancing very fast. We might throw in tilt and call it. 6 out of 10.

Oats is growing and has similar results.

Peas are very for our area without the moisture they are rooting very deep. Most came through the Viper spray very well and the 8-year rule is working. Most are very clean and trying to make stringers. Flowers will appear next week. It needs rain also 8 out of 10.

Lentils love heat and roots are going deep. All sprayed in the area and filling in nicely.

Fall seeded winter wheat or rye is thin and small heads. This is the sign that the Cerials will have the same outcome when headed with no rain.

Flax is coming up nice and most have sprayed or are.

Canola is the one crop that did get a very good catch for our area but the ground is drying out real fast and some small plants are having issues. Poor areas in the field are showing up real fast. Potential is still there but a real nice soaker is needed real fast. I won't give a rating until next week. If we miss that rain event it will be not good at all.

Pasture some are not going to have cattle on them or not very long as they are all but done. Hay will be poor.

So to sum up the week. Showers are trying to make rain but it sure looks like the east blocking pattern is in full form. Clouds and storms appear on radar look like they are coming right for you then disappear only to reappear east of you later with more force but min rain.

It's one of those years your a hero if you caught rain and if you didn't WTF happened.

Mother nature is one tough Bitch and she picks winners and losers. You can have all the fert chem and seed but if the rain doesn't come it was all for nothing.

Have a good week count your blessings if you got rain and be safe. Oh to all graduates, this spring congratulations. Its been one **** of a year. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER's Avatar Jun 25, 2020 | 05:19 2 I guess I should have one clarifier. Good land has moisture below and roots are going down. Lighter like our sand ridge is showing signs that it is having issues. Gravel deposits can be spotted from the air real easy as the crop is a darker colour or dying in these areas. Over fertilized or double spray can be spotted. Moisture is below thanks to last falls rain rain rain sun rain sun harvest, repeat.

So if you use our sand ridge as a barometer for issues get stupid without rain. We have 14 days left for any chance. Reply With Quote
SASKFARMER's Avatar Jun 25, 2020 | 05:36 3 ND is also dry on the Westside.

Trudeau gives 50 million to tourism in Eastern Canada and West isn't even mentioned. Is there one Canadian in the West who still supports this sick ****. Oh and 100 mill loan to Nestle. Follow the money.

If you think you will get paid well for your peas your dreaming. Freight will give you less if from Sask. Oh but you can move product.

So keep over producing and feed the parasites.

Its such a ****ing game. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jun 25, 2020 | 06:22 4
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    Trudeau gives 50 million to tourism in Eastern Canada and West isn't even mentioned. Is there one Canadian in the West who still supports this sick ****. Oh and 100 mill loan to Nestle. Follow the money.
    Sk, perhaps you were busy and missed the second announcement. Our MSM also did. Skippy gave 100M to Somalia. Canadas entire trade with that 3rd world stone age backwater last year was 9M.

There is more. In late march after skippy had spent about $100B on CERB or whatever it was, he was warned by the credit markets that our rating would be downgraded. He proceeded to plow another $300B into thin air after that.

If a low dollar is great for exports we are about to all get rich. Too bad about financing though. Reply With Quote

• Jun 25, 2020 | 07:16 5 The nestle/merit announcement is only one super b of peas per day and maybe 2 of canola... Reply With Quote
    Jun 25, 2020 | 07:23 6 One thing this year we don’t have to worry about is rain fastness of chemicals. 😆🤣😂😎 Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jun 25, 2020 | 08:11 7 Canola will be full flower next week, and wheat will be heading out. Will be early harvest if the rains miss again. Have alot of thin wheat crops, canola looks ok, peas are the winner. Go figure.

Fungicides will go on any fields saving for seed, won’t do the others. Sprayer gets a break this year. Shoulda welded the floater nuts on, maybe it woulda rained.... Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jun 25, 2020 | 08:19 8 Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  97.3 KB

Germ all over the map.

From road at 75 looks awesome.

Name:  EBD4595E-2049-493D-8D7D-605CDB6CEE30.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  19.6 KB

Peas are through the viper stage and growing. But with zero rain it’s easy to see why it worked this year.

Name:  D15E68F3-BF02-4FF3-83F9-E54D2975C901.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  10.6 KB

It can rain or spit you just have to have some luck. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jun 25, 2020 | 08:36 9 Name:  A26B13CA-64C0-47E3-8D7A-355847F4080B.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  19.4 KB

Name:  9A53A671-D0C2-46A9-90CC-319D4F5F0029.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  7FC119E5-BAEC-48B2-867B-D29AAAC620CE.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  17.7 KB

Name:  FE55C900-3E6D-4228-A41F-37788A3BB138.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  19.5 KB

Oh I listened to Kevin yap on CJME yesterday and if you ever wondered why Ag is fun ked it’s real easy to see with guys like that answering questions.

Our area is great and just a few areas didn’t get rain and most are doing excellent and don’t want any more rain.

Yep pure genius. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• biglentil's Avatar Jun 25, 2020 | 09:16 10 Heads emerging in the 1st sowed cereals today. Reply With Quote
    Jun 25, 2020 | 10:59 11
    Quote Originally Posted by biglentil View Post
    Heads emerging in the 1st sowed cereals today.
    Yes, wheat head in main stem. This is probably going to be ugly. Reply With Quote
    Jun 25, 2020 | 11:08 12 Do you think anyone at sask ag understands ??,,

Maybe start making plans for a shitshow. ... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Jun 25, 2020 | 13:22 13 Sask ag policy is to keep quiet it’s just a small area like Kevin says. Makes the city people believe it’s all great few complainers. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jun 25, 2020 | 14:09 14
    Sask ag policy is to keep quiet it’s just a small area like Kevin says. Makes the city people believe it’s all great few complainers.
    Kevi Hursch has lived off the taxpayers or checkoff funding for quite a while now....He should be taken to task for the comments he makes about agriculture in Saskatchewan...

It doesnt represent farmers. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Jun 25, 2020 | 14:29 15 The only crop with heads around here is the rye that got wayyyyy ahead of the cows.

If it wasn’t on new clearing that’s full of roots and stumps we’d probably combine it since it’s a nice stand. Actually taller than me in spots and the quad disappears when you’re 20 feet away.

The corn has a long way to go to catch up.

Almost done calving too.

This momma is trying to make up for the calves lost in the earlier storms. A red heifer and a black bull. She’s obviously not racist or sexist.

Ordered a liquid preservative applicator for the baler to hopefully make a bunch of bales to sell. Aiming to start cutting but the Ma Nature hasn’t been opening the weather window very far here.

Got a half inch and lots of pea sized hail the other day in ten minutes. Luckily got to watch it from the covered deck of the house instead of out in the field checking fence like I was a few minutes before.

Kinda need the sun to pick up the pace and start bringing these crops along or the five letter “F” word will get them in the end.

Wish we could share this moisture.

Hopefully everybody gets what they need sooner than later. Reply With Quote

• Jun 25, 2020 | 16:46 16
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    3.5 inches in 5 minutes pounded the canola !

Baked hard as a rock !
    Storm between Perdue and outlook last night ?? Reply With Quote
    Jun 25, 2020 | 17:44 17 Crops look decent for most part. Early seeded stuff kinda sucks but later by a matter of a few days looks better. Soil was cold so maybe that had something to do with it. Was pretty much done when we got a 2” shot beginning of June and a couple tenths in a couple of night sneaker showers. Since then we haven’t anything big except night before we had a short hard shot. Checked the gauge and said 2/10” but it didn’t look like it. Maybe the kids were messing with me but they said no. There’s lots of soil moisture and I suspect everything is rooting as my crops are sitting there. Canola at 6 leaf, flag starting to emerge on main tiller etc. Later seeded barley nothing to write home about yet. We need a good rain eventually.

As a side note this is the first time in a long time I’ve seen guys not seed quarters because it got too late because of 2019 harvest. Most would but this year they must’ve said it wasn’t worth it. Probably a good call as we’ve been caught with poor falls as of late. Most times our falls are quite open till November at times but last 5 years winter came early. We need a normal year to catch up. Reply With Quote
    Jun 25, 2020 | 18:08 18 Went north Tuesday
    Glaslyn and Meadow have lots drown out spots , fields still wet . The odd great crop but majority very late . Some very heavy weed pressure in others but that’s expected unfortunately as wet as they have been
    Beaver River highest we ever seen , the whole flat was under water
    Wathen river high as well but nothing like the beaver Reply With Quote
    Jun 25, 2020 | 20:08 19
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Went north Tuesday
    Glaslyn and Meadow have lots drown out spots , fields still wet . The odd great crop but majority very late . Some very heavy weed pressure in others but that’s expected unfortunately as wet as they have been
    Beaver River highest we ever seen , the whole flat was under water
    Wathen river high as well but nothing like the beaver
    I hear guys are selling cows cause bush pastures and meadows are flooded. Reply With Quote
    Jun 25, 2020 | 20:09 20 Spraying Blackbeans tonight ..

Chuck what you doing ? Going through 6 months of post ms trying to drag up something to label some of us with LOL 😂 Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jun 25, 2020 | 21:43 21 Not a rainy day it missed by about 20 miles east. Reply With Quote
    Jun 25, 2020 | 23:48 22
    Quote Originally Posted by woodland View Post
    The only crop with heads around here is the rye that got wayyyyy ahead of the cows.

If it wasn’t on new clearing that’s full of roots and stumps we’d probably combine it since it’s a nice stand. Actually taller than me in spots and the quad disappears when you’re 20 feet away.

The corn has a long way to go to catch up.

Almost done calving too.

This momma is trying to make up for the calves lost in the earlier storms. A red heifer and a black bull. She’s obviously not racist or sexist.

Ordered a liquid preservative applicator for the baler to hopefully make a bunch of bales to sell. Aiming to start cutting but the Ma Nature hasn’t been opening the weather window very far here.

Got a half inch and lots of pea sized hail the other day in ten minutes. Luckily got to watch it from the covered deck of the house instead of out in the field checking fence like I was a few minutes before.

Kinda need the sun to pick up the pace and start bringing these crops along or the five letter “F” word will get them in the end.

Wish we could share this moisture.

Hopefully everybody gets what they need sooner than later.
    I love watching your operation. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jun 26, 2020 | 04:48 23 Looks like have to wait on last field ....

Not much but not worth the chance Reply With Quote
    Jun 26, 2020 | 04:59 24 Good forecasts lol
    Was all good this morning on WN and EC 👎 Reply With Quote
    Jun 26, 2020 | 05:18 25 Having a coffee then heading out to spray last 120 ac. Then head to lake to enjoy some R&R.
    It has been a long spring!
    My goal every spring is not to in crop spray in July.
    Time for golf and beers 🍻! Reply With Quote

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Jun 26, 2020 | 05:18 26 The clear sky here we are rolling, two days spraying and were done. For now or gone fishing. Reply With Quote
    Jun 26, 2020 | 05:34 27
    The clear sky here we are rolling, two days spraying and were done. For now or gone fishing.
    Those last two days of everything we have done this spring seem to take an eternity.
    Can’t say rain was the culprit .... we all know what the nemesis was!!
    Go fishing have some fun SKF.... between taking off third of your crop this spring, then seed, and spray think you need a break.
    I was looking forward to attend my first Ag In Motion in July ... hopefully next yr. Reply With Quote
    Jun 26, 2020 | 05:46 28
    Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    Having a coffee then heading out to spray last 120 ac. Then head to lake to enjoy some R&R.
    Time for golf and beers 🍻!
    Me too !
    Barley and peas are in really rough shape from that 2” we had a week ago ?
    We were dry , i thought ?
    Can see every wheel track in everyones peas and barley
    That non stop wind sure beat the shit outta everything
    Spraying last of RR canola second time this mornin
    Them off to the lake , tobin really dirty from alberta water , fishing poor Reply With Quote
    Jun 26, 2020 | 05:51 29
    Quote Originally Posted by bigzee View Post
    Having a coffee then heading out to spray last 120 ac. Then head to lake to enjoy some R&R.
    Time for golf and beers 🍻!
    Me too !
    Barley and peas are in really rough shape from that 2” we had a week ago ?
    We were dry , i thought ?
    Can see every wheel track in everyones peas and barley
    That non stop wind sure beat the shit outta everything
    Spraying last of RR canola second time this mornin
    Them off to the lake , tobin really dirty from alberta water , fishing poor Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jun 26, 2020 | 05:53 30

For you guys getting wrapped up I hope you get good weather and a few fish to eat 👍
    We were lucky Tues/ Wednesday with ideal weather ,no wind ,good Company and enough fish for a good meal on lake . Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like