• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop Dividers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop Dividers

Still being hopeful here that crop is good enough to consider using dividers.

Brands, Tridekon or Ekay or?

Air lift or manual.

Front only or front and rear?

Our Gator has 4 wheel steer(when activated) so on headlands the back wheels follow the front quite well.

With fronts only, does the crop flow back and reclose somewhat and the back tramp too much anyway?

Comments and opinions?
    Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 24, 2020, 21:38.

Had the Ekay for ten years. All four. They are simple on and off, manual lift but we don’t trailer so never lift them. Have had no cracking, breakage, nothing. Work well. I think they save enough through less crop loss and less flattened straw to seed through the following year that they are worth having.
    Most everyone in our area of the NW Sask runs dividers. I’d guess half Tridekon and half Ekay.

Comment

You need four. The crop springs back in after the front tires. It seemed like a few years ago guys sold the heavy stainless dividers and got ekay ones. If your not going on a trailer you can get away without having air lift

Comment

We have tridekon. Still not super impressed with the job. Depending what you are spraying, but for fall preharvest and dessication we spray on a 5 degree angle otherwise seeding can be an issue.

Comment

Ive never seen anything bounce like a crop divider after its been wrapped under a tire and you have to hacksaw it off. Instant missile. Then you buy a tire later. Less is better but I'm ok with a little crop loss. It's not all hookers and blow. Or ..... you can post harvest.

Comment

Waist of money in my opinion

Comment

Set of 4 narrow "silver ones", $6900 manual lift.
              With air lift $8500

Not many guys around here use them. One guy swears by them but he is running a 90 foot. And just about everything he has or does is "right".
              If you make 28 passes(one headland included) on a square quarter and tramp 2-3 feet per pass that equals about 3.5 to 5 acres over the quarter.

Does it pay? Crop loss and seeding issues.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Our skinnies are about 13 inches wide. We seed on 10's with a two inch spread tip.
              Last edited by farmaholic; Jun 25, 2020, 19:49.

Comment

I think the tridekons help us reduce trampling in cereals by about 40% in a heavy crop. There not terrible for two of us to throw on and throw off 5-10 minute job. Forget about them helping in canola, the canola wraps and piles up until you have to back up and leave a canola lump. Plastic compared to stainless, I would pick stainless. Yes need 4 the crop wips out then wips right in front of back tires with only the fronts. Running only the fronts may be worse than running none at all. This year with a light short crop they are virtually pointless.
                Last edited by biglentil; Jun 25, 2020, 20:23.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  Set of 4 narrow "silver ones", $6900 manual lift.
                  With air lift $8500

Not many guys around here use them. One guy swears by them but he is running a 90 foot. And just about everything he has or does is "right".
                  If you make 28 passes(one headland included) on a square quarter and tramp 2-3 feet per pass that equals about 3.5 to 5 acres over the quarter.

Does it pay? Crop loss and seeding issues.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Our skinnies are about 13 inches wide. We seed on 10's with a two inch spread tip.
                  An airplane will charge roughly $9.50 per acre to apply fungicide.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...