• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viterra Sustainability Program change

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viterra Sustainability Program change

I was chatting it up with the local Viterra grain buyer today, and he asked me if there were oil leases on the land I farm. Odd question, so I asked why he wanted to know. It turns out Viterra is concerned about oil wells on farmland disqualifing that land from EU sustainability labeling schemes. He said there is nothing specifically saying oil wells are not allowed in the documentation, but Viterra has decided to cover their butt for liability purposes in case someone in Europe wants to cause a stink. So from now on they are not going to buy Sustainable Program grain from such land anymore.

The world is full of hypocrites, how does the grain get to Europe? In the holds of sail boats?

Comment

Also known as Non-tariff trade barriers.

Comment

Provide proof on a bamboo shit ticket. China wants documents that proves grain is "covid free"

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
          Provide proof on a bamboo shit ticket. China wants documents that proves grain is "covid free"
          Hmmm ..........
          Doesn’t that seem more than a little ironic 😉

Comment

Originally posted by ColevilleH2S View Post
            I was chatting it up with the local Viterra grain buyer today, and he asked me if there were oil leases on the land I farm. Odd question, so I asked why he wanted to know. It turns out Viterra is concerned about oil wells on farmland disqualifing that land from EU sustainability labeling schemes. He said there is nothing specifically saying oil wells are not allowed in the documentation, but Viterra has decided to cover their butt for liability purposes in case someone in Europe wants to cause a stink. So from now on they are not going to buy Sustainable Program grain from such land anymore.
            I guess I’m double disqualified now. Something about clearing trees now isn’t kosher but if it was done 10 or 100 years ago it’s all good.

Now oil wells (most quarters have one or more) ....... wait till they find out coal is under every inch of this place. Dad was even digging some up last week doing some trenching

I guess our grain is sticking close to home.............

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              I guess I’m double disqualified now. Something about clearing trees now isn’t kosher but if it was done 10 or 100 years ago it’s all good.

Now oil wells (most quarters have one or more) ....... wait till they find out coal is under every inch of this place. Dad was even digging some up last week doing some trenching

Off topic I know but does the coal affect you in any way? Wondered about water infiltration? Or soil ph?

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                Off topic I know but does the coal affect you in any way? Wondered about water infiltration? Or soil ph?
                My relatives farmed north of Delburne beside the Red Deer river. Their neighbor used to have some serious effects from coal, occasionally an old (horizontal) coal mine would collapse and create a giant hole on the surface. If memory serves, I think some were caused by the equipment driving over top. That would be hard on the nerves. More like equipment infiltration than water infiltration...

Comment

This is yet more evidence that so called sustainability need to be shoved where the sun don't shine. How much grain is actually getting into europe anyway? This is just another non tariff barrier as they don't import unless they absolutely have to, sustainability or not, and then they got a tool with which to beat you up on price after the fact. I have not and will not pay these emails from Viterra regarding this program any heed.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                    All our well water comes from the coal seams actually. The one well pumps flakes of it into the waterers occasionally. Usually 60-220 feet below ground but some pockets are at the surface. There used to be some old mines in the riverbank south of us but those have been abandoned and gravel is the hot commodity to dig out now. PH of water and ground seem normal to me although it must have something in it to make us want to stay in these hills and sticks..............

Comment

All our well water comes from the coal seams actually. The one well pumps flakes of it into the waterers occasionally. Usually 60-220 feet below ground but some pockets are at the surface. There used to be some old mines in the riverbank south of us but those have been abandoned and gravel is the hot commodity to dig out now. PH of water and ground seem normal to me although it must have something in it to make us want to stay in these hills and sticks..............
                      " I take the seed from Columbia or Mexico, just plant up the holler down Copperhead Road"

Comment

Ridiculous that clearing bush is included.
                        Is the rule no tree clearing within last ten years?

Comment

10 years seems about right, about 5 years ago when they rolled this out I think they said you couldn't have cleared any trees for the 5 previous years. How Viterra stays with n business is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
                            10 years seems about right, about 5 years ago when they rolled this out I think they said you couldn't have cleared any trees for the 5 previous years. How Viterra stays with n business is beyond me.
                            A shell of their SWP glory.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...