• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much time is left?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much time is left?

With near or at drought conditions how many more wks will this crop hold on? June is suppose to be our rain month, well farmers in the south haven’t seen much of that.
    Crops are behind and look stagnant. Rooting for their lives to stay alive, once they get bigger they will require more moisture. Nothing looks to be in the cards for the next two wks.
    Talked to one farmer this wk end, I said 3 wks tops (and that could be stretching it) before things go backwards fast. He said his won’t last 3 wks. Sad situation we are going to be in if we don’t get something soon. Most will be looking for the white combine.
    Only saving grace is the winds have subsided and temps have have cool.
    I think crops have now rooted past the fertilizer, need a two inch rain to push the fert to the roots. At this point tenths won’t do much of anything.

I'm sure some guys in other parts of the Prairies are thinking....

Comment

We held on till July 10th a few years ago and last year was July 2 nd under similar conditions
      Hopefully you guys get something meaningful very soon . We were just days away from a write off here the past few years
      The only saving grace was decent soil moisture and this cooler weather we all have had

Comment

In 2019 the June 19th rain was the one that saved the crop.....had it not come ....it would have been a write off...

And even then it set the crop back considerably which is why so much was left out....

Late rains with a dormant crop at this point ... is going to be a tough harvest....

Chin up ...my reseeded flax hasn't come up yet either...but the weeds have...

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
          With near or at drought conditions how many more wks will this crop hold on? June is suppose to be our rain month, well farmers in the south haven’t seen much of that.
          Crops are behind and look stagnant. Rooting for their lives to stay alive, once they get bigger they will require more moisture. Nothing looks to be in the cards for the next two wks.
          Talked to one farmer this wk end, I said 3 wks tops (and that could be stretching it) before things go backwards fast. He said his won’t last 3 wks. Sad situation we are going to be in if we don’t get something soon. Most will be looking for the white combine.
          Only saving grace is the winds have subsided and temps have have cool.
          I think crops have now rooted past the fertilizer, need a two inch rain to push the fert to the roots. At this point tenths won’t do much of anything.
          Was a miracle to get the canola off in time last year. Canola in general is behind last year imo, around here soil has already dried out after getting just enough moisture to get the resow to poke out. Maybe the patches that did establish well will be enough to get the seed back. Could be a complete canola disaster if we dont get substantial moisture soon imo.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            In 2019 the June 19th rain was the one that saved the crop.....had it not come ....it would have been a write off...

And even then it set the crop back considerably which is why so much was left out....

Late rains with a dormant crop at this point ... is going to be a tough harvest....

Chin up ...my reseeded flax hasn't come up yet either...but the weeds have...
            My chin does go up as I look up for rain clouds.
            Then it drops and just shake my head. Lol

On a side note had a great wk end of golf.
            First two rounds of the year shot an 82 on 18.
            Missed a 2 footer for 39 on the back nine.
            And yes ... there were no fans in attendance.
            😂😂

Comment

This crop is moving really slow, even after the little rain we got. Only a couple fields of canola covering the dirt now, most 2 weeks away from that.

Dont think we are behind 2019 for canola yet. Last yr at this time, some of that didnt emerge until after July long.

Even lentils are slow. They would be sprayed by now and most are a week to two from that yet.

Comment

We've been cool to this point, just wait, the summer heat is just coming.
                Years back as a kid we'd go to the "lake" for July 1st, I can remember a few summers when the crop would just "burn up" that day. It was easy to pick out the areas that caught an extra shower, and the ones that missed.
                Imagine if we'd been 28-34 this past 3 weeks, with all the wind we've been having. Global cooling has saved us,,, so far.

Comment

The contrast between you guys and me up in the NE corner is stunning!

After a week of rain I just dread the thoughts of more rain. Water pooled up in fields and water running out of fields. Peas that are struggling with water and need to be sprayed but you know what spray will do to drowning peas?
                  The thoughts of taking the sprayer in the field and making ruts all over is sicking!

I really hope you guys get the rain you need but i sure hope we miss it here!

What a tough game we play

Comment

Afew variables at play in the Ghetto.
                    Soil type(varies here), stubble (previous crop), crop seeded.
                    It will be interesting.

Comment

Hmmm
                      What a contrast.
                      I pulled a new pair of rubber boots out since the old pair sprung a leak the other day.

Hopefully the monsoons slow up soon to start making some hay. Highly doubtful of that though. At least there’s lots of it there to make.

The cows are grazing some rye that didn’t turn out.

Way too wet to spray and lots drowned out.

Comment

Your rain is here in the Edmonton area. Come get it. Just stuck the sprayer and have to get it cleaned out to spray Viper on peas mudded in on May 28. Weeds ahead of crop. And a severe thunderstorm watch with a 6 hr rain fast on Viper. Can't even fathom dry. Lots of flood damage. Those spots are not hanging on, they are dead.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                          Your rain is here in the Edmonton area. Come get it. Just stuck the sprayer and have to get it cleaned out to spray Viper on peas mudded in on May 28. Weeds ahead of crop. And a severe thunderstorm watch with a 6 hr rain fast on Viper. Can't even fathom dry. Lots of flood damage. Those spots are not hanging on, they are dead.
                          Took a load to Bunge ft. Sask. this morning. Wow I thought we were wet. Those guys west of ft. Sask. are drowning.

Comment

I hate to reuse worn out expressions but it’s feast or famine. If we don’t get a rain within a week we’ll be getting worried too. Edmonton guys send some rain east cause we could probably use some eventually. Was up to the city couple weeks ago and couldn’t believe how wet it was and that was from the east side.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                              Hmmm
                              What a contrast.
                              I pulled a new pair of rubber boots out since the old pair sprung a leak the other day.

Hopefully the monsoons slow up soon to start making some hay. Highly doubtful of that though. At least there’s lots of it there to make.

The cows are grazing some rye that didn’t turn out.

Way too wet to spray and lots drowned out.
                              The old saying “grass up to your ass”.
                              Be thankful, cow guys here will be hurting real soon. Won’t be much of anything for hay crop where I am.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.