• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An example of actual discrimination and denied opportunity to FN Canadians.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An example of actual discrimination and denied opportunity to FN Canadians.

We have been discussing this with Chuck, and every example we could find ended up looking like greater ( but squandered or unequally distributed within the band) opportunities for FN people.

So I kept looking. I've never heard of a First Nations homesteader, and it turns out there is a good reason for that. They were denied that opportunity by law. From StatsCan website, sourced from the Indian Act of 1876:
    For example, the Indian Act (1876) and its amendments prohibited First Nations homesteading and restricted the sale of First Nations agricultural products.
    I think we can all agree that this was gross discrimination, and amounts to a huge discrepancy in opportunity compared to what was offered to immigrants from nearly everywhere else in the world.

Does anyone know if this policy has ever been reversed?

Was it ever challenged?

Any indication that it would have been taken advantage of if it were possible?

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    We have been discussing this with Chuck, and every example we could find ended up looking like greater ( but squandered or unequally distributed within the band) opportunities for FN people.

So I kept looking. I've never heard of a First Nations homesteader, and it turns out there is a good reason for that. They were denied that opportunity by law. From StatsCan website, sourced from the Indian Act of 1876:

I think we can all agree that this was gross discrimination, and amounts to a huge discrepancy in opportunity compared to what was offered to immigrants from nearly everywhere else in the world.

Does anyone know if this policy has ever been reversed?

Was it ever challenged?

Any indication that it would have been taken advantage of if it were possible?
    I don’t know about “reversed” but there’s this http://indianag.on.ca in Ontario that provides funding and business planning services for native farms and farm businesses. Although the program name seems like a time bomb waiting to go off

Comment

What was SCRIP?

Comment

From memory, I believe there were FN farmers in southern Alberta for a short time turn of century.
        I've always said that the Indian Act needs to burn. It needs to start there.
        Now it's scary what will replace it.
        Funny how no one really wants status quo to end it seems.
        Point fingers.
        Write checks.
        Repeat.

Comment

I know several FN farmers that run very successful farms and ranches. One is over 15,000 ac in Cut Knife area. The opportunity is there if they want it . They have many incentives at their fingertips . It’s the will to succeed that sets them apart.

Comment

Who negotiated on behalf of FN with the Trudeau/Chretien government (1970ish) on The White Paper? If my memory serves me right, FN representation advocated for the status quo.

Comment

I dont think anybody is saying there isnt and wasnt discrimination. The question is, are you and I and our families culpable for something govts did and keep doing?

There was endless land in Canada, of course natives should have been given individual quarters just like farmers. Had something like that been done, their integration into the society would have been much smoother.

Reserves should be converted to municipalities now with semi autonomous control.

Comment

Having one chief with omnipotent power controls all the money. What could go wrong?

Comment

Like....Click image for larger version

Name:	Sitting bULLSHIT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	769861

Comment

I see Chuck is back from his much deserved days off, and hasn't commented here.

As expected. Notice how he only comments if we bait him with posts that he can use to try to paint the poster as racist, etc? If you put up a post that shows an unbiased reasonable, approach, he never responds, since all he has is to attempt to discredit and marginalise the messenger. Can't do that when the messenger agrees with him on any detail.

Just try it. Respond to one of his rants with name calling, then respond to the next one with moderation and facts, see which one he responds to.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                      Like....[ATTACH]6265[/ATTACH]
                      Looks like the asshole of a fanned out turkey.

Too bad First Nations let him desecrate their symbol of leadership, strength and bravery, of which he has none!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.