• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual ryegrass

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annual ryegrass

So the last 200 acres I seeded for greenfeed(oats) does not look like it made the 13” of rain we have had since it was seeded. There is a little in places and of course it’s fertilized. I’m grasping at straws at what to do. Anyone float on say 10 lbs of annual ryegrass and harrow it in after? I don’t think I can get the drill through without making ruts. Canola is spindly and dying slowly but it’s insured at least. I hate throwing more money at this but I hate leaving a fertilized field and get nothing. Wet here for 5 years now- keep saying it won’t get worse but it does....this year is the last straw for many here.

Originally posted by ABfarm View Post
    So the last 200 acres I seeded for greenfeed(oats) does not look like it made the 13” of rain we have had since it was seeded. There is a little in places and of course it’s fertilized. I’m grasping at straws at what to do. Anyone float on say 10 lbs of annual ryegrass and harrow it in after? I don’t think I can get the drill through without making ruts. Canola is spindly and dying slowly but it’s insured at least. I hate throwing more money at this but I hate leaving a fertilized field and get nothing. Wet here for 5 years now- keep saying it won’t get worse but it does....this year is the last straw for many here.
    My sympathies to you and your neighbors. I know how it feels. Where is here?

My experience with trying to make something grow in water logged, compacted anaerobic soils is that it won't work, unless the stars align perfectly from here out, and they never do. It needs to dry up enough to either work it properly, or at least drag a drill through.

And worse yet, the N fertilizer is likely already gone from being so wet, and not much will grow without adding more N with the seed. I sometimes go out to the yellow half drowned out areas and broadcast some N, it does improve the prospects, but I have concluded that money would be much better spent adding the N to the places with the most potential instead.

All that said, I know nothing about annual rye grass, so perhaps my advice is way off, is it more tolerant of these conditions?

Comment

Would japanese millet work? Very short season crop. Might even get a second cut if lucky. Where abouts are you located? Based on your conditions, I am going to guess lac ste anne county.
      Last edited by flea beetle; Jun 21, 2020, 00:03.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        My sympathies to you and your neighbors. I know how it feels. Where is here?

My experience with trying to make something grow in water logged, compacted anaerobic soils is that it won't work, unless the stars align perfectly from here out, and they never do. It needs to dry up enough to either work it properly, or at least drag a drill through.

And worse yet, the N fertilizer is likely already gone from being so wet, and not much will grow without adding more N with the seed. I sometimes go out to the yellow half drowned out areas and broadcast some N, it does improve the prospects, but I have concluded that money would be much better spent adding the N to the places with the most potential instead.

All that said, I know nothing about annual rye grass, so perhaps my advice is way off, is it more tolerant of these conditions?
        Sorry here is the northwest corner of Lamont County. West side up through Sturgeon and Thorhild is ugly. Lots of good land with nothing on it. Water everywhere. Annual ryegrass likes water but you are probably right, just a waste of more money. Thought if I could get some feed for the cows at least. Can’t believe we struggled to finish combining this spring and then mudded that Greenfeed in to beat the rain and I would have been better off to leave it

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
          Would japanese millet work? Very short season crop. Might even get a second cut if lucky. Where abouts are you located? Based on your conditions, I am going to guess lac ste anne county.
          Lamont County, I read the millet likes late season moisture and hot. Not sure about it establishing in water logged soil. Don’t know though

Comment

Lamont County, I read the millet likes late season moisture and hot. Not sure about it establishing in water logged soil. Don’t know though
            Not too terribly far from you. Over an hour East.

Only one way to find out. Half a field of ryegrass and half Japanese millet. Will be smarter for next time. Hopefully there is no next time....
            Last edited by flea beetle; Jun 21, 2020, 00:30.

Comment

Here, we have successfully seeded barley or barley and oats up to the middle of July for swath grazing, would also work for baleage or silage. On a really wet spring those have been our best crops, missing all the floods in June.

Comment

We have farmed through the wet years as well, not fun... remember family and your own health is more important than any crop. You cannot control what is out of your hands.
                My advise on the crop is to look towards your insurance and make decisions that will get your farm to survive. Nothing grows in water logged soils so adding more expenses for failure is never good. We have mudded in, floated, plane seeded, etc , just to be disappointed in the end. Keep the weeds down and seed some winter wheat in august to use the moisture.
                Keep your head high because it is not your fault and you are not alone in this.

Comment

Here, we have successfully seeded barley or barley and oats up to the middle of July for swath grazing, would also work for baleage or silage. On a really wet spring those have been our best crops, missing all the floods in June.
                  Last time I had the drill out in July was the drought year. Had to work up the RR canola to not pay the TUA. Had sweeps on the drill so put some barley down July 15. Rained 5” on the 24th and had enough Greenfeed to keep 3/4 of the cows. If it dries up I have oats. Be cheaper then my ryegrass idea.

Comment

Last time I had the drill out in July was the drought year. Had to work up the RR canola to not pay the TUA. Had sweeps on the drill so put some barley down July 15. Rained 5” on the 24th and had enough Greenfeed to keep 3/4 of the cows. If it dries up I have oats. Be cheaper then my ryegrass idea.
                    Not sure but what about throwing some peas in with the oats. Depends if you are doing baleage or not.

Comment

Perhaps you have much better weather than we do, but I wouldn't dream of putting up greenfeed in October, which is what Mid July seeded greenfeed would likely amount to. Which is why I suggested swath grazing, or silage. Are you set up for either, is it close enough to water source or facilities to swath graze?

Comment

Perhaps you have much better weather than we do, but I wouldn't dream of putting up greenfeed in October, which is what Mid July seeded greenfeed would likely amount to. Which is why I suggested swath grazing, or silage. Are you set up for either, is it close enough to water source or facilities to swath graze?
                        The neighbour can wrap bales if we have to. Never done it to be honest. Was close to trying last year but got a week at the end of August and got everything up dry. Not fenced so swath grazing is not an option. I’m going to walk it again today and see what’s going on and figure what I should do. Leaving it, taking what I get then drilling in winter wheat might work too. I think it needs a disc before anything will grow. There is no magic cure like you mentioned.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.