• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canaryseed acreage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canaryseed acreage

Any thoughts on canaryseed acreage? Up or down compared to last year? Statcan claims 275,000 acres but my bet is flat compared to 2019 at 250,000. Any thoughts?

Durum and lentil prices where highest preseeding and thinking growers just missed growing it.

Looks like a few less acres from the certified seed I sold this year and custom seed cleaning we did for customers.

Did sell some seed to some first time canary seed growers and a lot of long time growers did not seed any or cut back this year

Comment

Well for what is worth canaryseed acres doubled on my farm. Last year I had 600acs, this year that rose to just under 1200. It was one of the more profitable crops for me last year as prices climbed to that .30-.31 cent range and at 1850lb/ac yield it was ok. I am not in a position told hold onto canary for years like other producers so that price point worked for me. Started pricing new crop at .25 already, and although it is a long way from the bin, it looks really good so far. I am growing Cibo, it is a yellow seed, seems to thrash easy and yield somewhat surprised me as the balls didn't seem to be as big as some of the older varieties. Canary responds very well to a fungicide application, I haven't been able to get my Avedex granular down in the fall but a ****tail of Avedex, glyphosate and Pre pass seems to be working in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
        Well for what is worth canaryseed acres doubled on my farm. Last year I had 600acs, this year that rose to just under 1200. It was one of the more profitable crops for me last year as prices climbed to that .30-.31 cent range and at 1850lb/ac yield it was ok. I am not in a position told hold onto canary for years like other producers so that price point worked for me. Started pricing new crop at .25 already, and although it is a long way from the bin, it looks really good so far. I am growing Cibo, it is a yellow seed, seems to thrash easy and yield somewhat surprised me as the balls didn't seem to be as big as some of the older varieties. Canary responds very well to a fungicide application, I haven't been able to get my Avedex granular down in the fall but a ****tail of Avedex, glyphosate and Pre pass seems to be working in the spring.
        What area are you in? I may fungicide with Quilt as i have a pallet sitting in the shed from a few years ago. My canary is super small and slow growing. Need some heat units i guess. I am at Lancer, Sask

Comment

In the NE, north of Archerwill. Usually sell to Scoular as I always had dealings with them when they were Walker Seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
            In the NE, north of Archerwill. Usually sell to Scoular as I always had dealings with them when they were Walker Seeds.

I do believe the acreage has increased somewhat in the NE at expense in West Central. SE dry which will add some concern to total production this year.

Comment

I expected acreage to increase more than it did.

It’s unfortunate there isn’t a reliable wildoat herbicide that doesn’t stunt the crop. Applying granular avadex isn’t cheap or convenient.

Comment

Have any new varieties outperformed Keet?

Comment

Originally posted by dave4441 View Post
                  Any thoughts on canaryseed acreage? Up or down compared to last year? Statcan claims 275,000 acres but my bet is flat compared to 2019 at 250,000. Any thoughts?

Durum and lentil prices where highest preseeding and thinking growers just missed growing it.
                  exactly the same as the last 20 years, 10%
                  canary takes planning , clean wild oat free land to get the big yields
                  all the extra hastily seeded acres never amount to much anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                    I expected acreage to increase more than it did.

It’s unfortunate there isn’t a reliable wildoat herbicide that doesn’t stunt the crop. Applying granular avadex isn’t cheap or convenient.
                    we count on the "puma stunting" , thats our growth regulator
                    just to bad the shit wouldn't kill wild oats

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      .......roll the Avadex dice.

Comment

Didn’t matter what the acreage was around here and a longways away canary and drought don’t mix. 5 bushel yields. It needs to be 40 cents to accompany the drought risk and then the onslaught of wild oats for years after.
                        Anther crop where the canary commmsion has failed to secure a reliable wildoat herbicide that’s
                        Not over priced also.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          .......roll the Avadex dice.
                          Well it stunts them pretty good
                          About 3/4 of the acres avadexed at $20 /ac get puma here

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            When you spray the Puma; do you go full rate PUMA/Buctril? Or which broad leaf do you mix with it?
                            I’ve done it the past (in a bind ) and seemed to work good, yes there was stunting. Usually use Avedex but always interested in what others are doing?

Comment

Have to go full rate because of the safeners
                              Have mixed it with stellar , prestige and frontline
                              Stellar causes least damage
                              40 ac on each

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...