• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many canola acres will not be seeded this year?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many canola acres will not be seeded this year?

We live in a bog. Should be a frog. Got over an inch of rain yesterday so the extended seeding season which expires tomorrow will be a bust. Wonder how many acres of canola will spend the winter safely in the seed bag? 2 million is my guess. Canola prices up today so the market is taking notice. Would be nice to watch china's price lowering games blow up in their face.

A lot of Canola being eaten by beetles and blown out of the ground by wind. How many acres deep in the South? canola will be a scarce commodity if weather doesn’t turn around soon.

Comment

Most guys done, or close to done seeding around here. I have feed barley and greenfeed left to go yet. Watching the potholes that were seeded through fill up with water. Have had over 2" of rain in two events over the last 4 days. Another 2" forecast for this weekend. Things might start looking like Woodlands area around here soon!

Comment

Lots got buried and or washed out in the last 3 1/2 to 4 inch rain 10 days ago south and east of here
        Not in good shape , got pounded by flea beetles since

Ours on Blackbean stubble struggled a bit but be ok now
        The rest is fine here so far ..
        Last edited by furrowtickler; Jun 4, 2020, 12:40.

Comment

Comment

How many lb/ac Furrow. Looks good. I assume that’s the Horsch.

Comment

Flea beatles now devil beatles(chinch). Keep your eyes peeled for these little buggars they are fast and hard to see but viscious. They live under the crust and go right for the stem and growing point. Reseeding starts tomorrow. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200604_175152.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	769785

Comment

Thanks for heads up
                Had someone else mention those last week

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
                  How many lb/ac Furrow. Looks good. I assume that’s the Horsch.
                  We were up to 2.3 lbs , was 6.2 g seed
                  Yup Horsch

Comment

Biglentil, are you going back to canola?

We are very lucky, don't really see any feeding on our canola.
                    CL2026 Helix and Lumiderm. Seeded one thirds two thirds...mixed as bags were added to air cart.
                    Also, at least ours never froze this year, we usually seed too early.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

CL2026 Helix and Lumiderm. Seeded one thirds two thirds...mixed as bags were added to air cart.
                      LR344PC Liberty and Truflex RR treated with Prosper Everglo only as Lumiderm was not available at the time. Hit minus 3 last Thursday. Not sure if Lumiderm would of made the difference, as I'm seeing some bad damage on some lower ground we have Lumiderm on as well. It's funny the field I sowed North South across the road is completely fine. Last time I sow East West lol.
                      Last edited by biglentil; Jun 4, 2020, 19:12.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                        LR344PC Liberty and Truflex RR treated with Prosper Everglo only as Lumiderm was not available at the time. Hit minus 3 last Thursday. Not sure if Lumiderm would of made the difference, as I'm seeing some bad damage on some lower ground we have Lumiderm on as well. It's funny the field I sowed North South across the road is completely fine. Last time I sow East West lol.
                        What area are you from big lentil ?
                        Roughly .
                        Curious on these bugs now

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          What area are you from big lentil ?
                          Roughly .
                          Curious on these bugs now
                          Regina flats, last time I saw the bugs was 3 years ago and a sample was shipped to Ottawa for identification. They classified it as a newly discovered breed of chinch beatle. We call em 'devil beatles' they develop a red black stripe up their backs as they mature. Saw a canola crop never come up because of them, they cut them off before they came through the crust. Lorsban was sprayed didnt work, as bugs are under the crust mostly. Heard of flax and durum down south needing reseeding because of them as well. A neonicotinoid seed treatment is essentially the only line of defence. The pictured above was sprayed with Sevin three nights ago for flea beetles. The only pesticide for flea beatles said to have a residual that translocates in the plant. Flea beatles died mostly.
                          Last edited by biglentil; Jun 4, 2020, 19:38.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                            Regina flats, last time I saw the bugs was 3 years ago and a sample was shipped to Ottawa for identification. They classified it as a newly discovered breed of chinch beatle. We call em 'devil beatles' they develop a red black stripe up their backs as they mature. Saw a canola crop never come up because of them, they cut them off before they came through the crust. Lorsban was sprayed didnt work, as bugs are under the crust mostly. Heard of flax and durum down south needing reseeding because of them as well. A neonicotinoid seed treatment is essentially the only line of defence.
                            Ok thanks 👍

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

Yep back to canola. Bring on d rain.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...