• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minority Government

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly! You are 100% right.

Either lead or get out of the way. We need to take the high road on this one.

Comment

Rsomer I do appreciate your cool headed, detailed approach to addressing our problem. I too love "taking the high road and leading by example." Which is why I also would love to leave the whole border thing alone and focus on our own problem. Lets build and test, now more than ever. They will somehow try to use these 2 ( and subsequently more) against us. I for the life of me cannot see that a "US" case will ever surface. This is a left handed way to attack us further. They know we're dead serious about testing and exporting and they don't have measures in place that we do ( the traceback, the needless killing of thousands of cows that even breathed on our BSE case ) and they absolutly will have egg on their face if we convince ANYONE to take our meat that won't take theirs. The pressure on them to open the border to us is huge. "Science", NAFTA challenge, needing to set an example for Japan and Mexico, they'll do anything to "prove" why they shouldn't... how about trying to "prove" on "Canadas behalf" how many "diseased" cows are up here because of course we sure as hell don't check or do anything for that matter as well as the US. R-calf will be sure and tell the world that.

Comment

I believe it is just a matter of when, not if, the U.S. finds a BSE cow they have to call their own. Just what the U.S. will do in regards to opening our border after they find their cow will remain to be seen. I don't think we will have to wait very long to find out.

CME Live Cattle Futures closed yesterday at $87.87, opened this morning at $85 and are trading at $86.075.

Comment

USDA webcast at 4:30 Eastern daylight time on usda.gov.

Comment

Just a note that today is also the USDA release of their spring seeded crop acreage and June 1 Stocks report.

Today's price direction (down) is a good indication of the markets interpretation.

Comment

The USDA website must have been busy, I couldn't hear the webcast. Their server couldn't keep up.

So far, this is what I've found. They'll post a transcript later.

Statement By Deputy Administrator Dr. John Clifford For The Animal And Plant Health Inspection Service

June 30, 2004

“At approximately, 3:45 p.m. today, we were notified by the USDA National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) in Ames, Iowa that the inconclusive screening test sample reported on June 25, tested negative for BSE upon confirmatory testing.

“NVSL used the world-recognized gold-standard test for BSE, the immunohistochemistry test to confirm this finding.”

One down, one to go. (so far)

Comment

fustrated1... I wish the USDA and the cattle associations whether there from the US or Canada would take their propaganda and stuff it... where the sun don't shine..

Comment

kato... don't get me wrong but these little stunts from the the USDA is no less than a bunch of baloney... why would they release this information if they were not going to give all the facts about the animal... sad excuse for the US government to say their on top of BSE testing with the quick test... US tell us when you find a real case and keep these fradulent claims to yourselves...

Comment

It is a funny world. Thing were eather negitive or positive. Is a non negitive a political correct work these days.

Comment

It's sad to have become so cynical, but you might have a point.

Statement By Dr. Peter Fernandez Of The Animal And Plant Health Inspection Service For The U.S. BSE Technical Working Group

June 30, 2004

“The U.S./Japan Technical BSE Working Group today concluded its second of three meetings with the objective of establishing a thorough review of the available information on BSE.

“The three days of discussions and tours, held in Fort Collins, Colo., provided the team members with the opportunity to have an in-depth dialogue on several key issues, including:

--The definition of BSE and methods of testing;
                      --The definition of Specified Risk Materials (SRMs) and methods for removal;
                      --The appropriate level and focus of surveillance;
                      --Risk assessment; and
                      --Feed ban implementation, among others.

“Our tours of a slaughter facility, feed lot and feed mill were important opportunities for the Japanese members of the working group to witness the implementation of U.S. BSE safeguards, our rigorous enforcement of these safeguards and the compliance by industry.

“We also informed the Japanese of the status of the two inconclusive BSE test results we have received as part of our enhanced BSE surveillance program. We shared with them the USDA statement announcing that the inconclusive screening test sample reported on June 25 tested negative for BSE at the National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) in Ames, Iowa upon confirmatory testing. Neither of these animals entered the human food chain, nor animal feed chain and we have assured the Japanese that we will keep them fully informed of any further developments of our ongoing investigation of the second inconclusive test.

“The meetings were successful in advancing our mutual understanding of each countries’ measures, their purpose and effectiveness. We look forward to our meeting in Japan next month where we will finalize our technical report that will serve as the basis for the discussions between our governments to establish the terms by which beef trade will resume.”

Maybe we need Fox Mulder working for us?

Comment

Suprise .... a false positive. the last figures I am aware of out of Europe is that 1 in 10,000 will test false positive. At this point after the USDA has tested a few more than 7000 since JUne 1 if the second case turns up as a false positive, surely this will raise red flags in the scientific community around the world, if it does'nt it should. Sooner or later our friends to the south will have to come clean whether they want to or not.

Comment

BWC, that is a surprise - I thought the level of accuracy was much lower than that leading to a much higher percentage of false positives.

Comment

I believe my figures are correct, if not someone please correct me, I am always scared of being caught up in conspiracy theories but I believe that they have everything to lose( the USA)
                            at this point in time. The science says community would like us all to accept their side that false positives are much more frequent. Please if someone can supply me with other validated figures , I would be very interested in seeing them.

Comment

Why would I keep that report to myself? I would think that we all have an interest in keeping track of the goings on down south, whether we believe them or not.

There's nothing to be gained by ignoring what's going on these days. Good news, bad news, whatever, the more informed we are, the better.

If we have all the information, we can make up our own minds. The easiest way to get fooled is to only know a part of the story. Then you are fair game.

On another note, if there's enough false positives, it will cease to be a news story. The USDA knows the attention span of the media.

Now, to show I am as cynical as anyone else, I bet the next 'result' will come on Friday after markets close, and the U.S. is starting a long weekend, especially if it is bad news. This is not a bad thing, BTW, because it does help minimize the panic stealing that is bound to go on.

Comment

Oh... I get it ... US keep it to yourselves! LOL

Got reading too fast! Must have been the extra coffee at dinner!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.