• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hope I’m allowed to ask dumb question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope I’m allowed to ask dumb question

Gonna anyway....

Always in awe at how quick you guys get crops in, but also aware you have narrow window.

Snow melts ground warms up bang your into it.

Is there no preplant knockdown. Or plant and you get weeds after?

Or both.

You talk of glyphosate so must be some done.

No soil incorporated herbicides?
    Last edited by malleefarmer; May 30, 2020, 19:04.

Most use glyphosate and a top up like express for wheat, aim, etc. for peas and canola. Winter annuals are tough to kill in crop and hoping to get it sprayed between seeding and emergence can be a roll of the dice.

Comment

The ground temp thing is mostly ignored here, bto,s work around it, why peas are popular here, when the ground will carry seed peas.

Comment

Your seeding window is 4 weeks or even less?

It rains here this year mid April wait for weeds glyphosate then maybe another spray with alternate chemical at seeding o before then plant. Planting late April to end of May 5 even 6 weeks can go later yield may be compromised.

Harvest early nov onwards

Comment

4 weeks here is ideal and something I barely remember, average more like 2, this year 1 starting I week late.

Comment

We try to stick to 14-16 days of actual seed days.
            Seeding anytime after the 25-28th May here is risky come fall . South sask has wider window by a week or more
            20 miles north the widow can be even tighter
            Last year north of hear the last frost in spring was June 10th , the first frost in fall was August 15th
            Crops must be in the ground in a very narrow window . Especially now with shorter seasons the past three years contrary to popular belief lol
            Hopefully it’s not so tight this year , although May has been way colder than normal .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...