• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LeTourneau's land trains,

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LeTourneau's land trains,

Fascinating story about land Trains for the DEW line from the 50's.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33645/the-incredible-story-of-the-us-armys-earth-shaking-off-road-land-trains?utm_source=pocket-newtab https://www.thedrive.com/news/33645/the-incredible-story-of-the-us-armys-earth-shaking-off-road-land-trains?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I once had a Professor talk about how successful Letourneau was with his inventions. I think he said he went broke atleast once but ingenuity brought him back.

Also Mallee might have some comment on the size of road trains in the outback. I saw a b&w picture when I was there in the early 80's that showed an impressive road train hauling livestock. I am guessing, but maybe 10 trailers in all. They would be shorter than a canadian pot, but still double deck.

Comment

Been reading my kids “LeTourneau Mover of Men and Mountians” Really amazing man with an amazing story.

Comment

The LeTourneau sc****r was called the LeTurnover by operators back in the day because they would tip easily. a good operator could get it back upright without a push by backing it up at a45 degree angle.
        Last edited by A990; May 30, 2020, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
          Been reading my kids “LeTourneau Mover of Men and Mountians” Really amazing man with an amazing story.
          LeTourneau Mover of Men and Mountains is an inspiring book to read. You get a little bit of religion thrown in there but what he did with machinery was incredible. “There are no big jobs just small machinery”.

Comment

Originally posted by A990 View Post
            The LeTourneau sc****r was called the LeTurnover by operators back in the day because they would tip easily. a good operator could get it back upright without a push by backing it up at a45 degree angle.
            My nephew took a heavy equipment operator course. One of the things they taught you was how to right yourself after you flip a sc****r. Can’t believe it would be good for the engines to be constantly flipped on their side and back again. You wouldn’t think there would be much oil left.

Comment

Originally posted by redleaf View Post
              LeTourneau Mover of Men and Mountains is an inspiring book to read. You get a little bit of religion thrown in there but what he did with machinery was incredible. “There are no big jobs just small machinery”.
              Well there is a global pandemic and the United States is burning with hatred and violence so I don’t mind a little religion from LeTourneau.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.