• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Efficiency and costs...?????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efficiency and costs...?????

Been thinking about a new/newer drill.

Does sectional control pay?
    Does a cart need a loading auger or conveyor that sits for 11 months of the year ?

I see a lot of guys on big fields pull in with a field loader that can be used year round and fill faster....

With a 10 year old and a 20 year old drill been wondering our selves how to upgrade. Seeing more sectional drills around I hope they would last now 10 years or more without a bunch of problems off warranty nothing more frustrating than electrical problems. Seeing more seed tenders Servicing drills and on board augers and conveyors not being used less weight,cost, maintence could be a benifit.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      How many acres do you seed?

How many acres do you spray?

Take the difference, multiply it by your average input cost per acre to get savings.

From there you can calculate how many years before the sectional control pays for itself, if you have a quote.

Every farm will be different. One guy told me 3 years for his operation and the equipment he was looking at.

Comment

Ok but what about the 25000 auger or conveyor on the side of the cart that sits 11 months of the year...payback on that?????

This is what I was trying to explain to the salesman .....sectional control pays for itself....agreed????,.....the auger can't....take the auger/conveyor off and I will buy sectional control.

Comment

Been thinking about a new/newer drill.

Does a cart need a loading auger or conveyor that sits for 11 months of the year ?

I see a lot of guys on big fields pull in with a field loader that can be used year round and fill faster....
          i was wondering the same , with 1000 buck a bag canola

Comment

Ok but what about the 25000 auger or conveyor on the side of the cart that sits 11 months of the year...payback on that?????
            you're worried about the auger sitting for 11 months... the whole damn thing sits unused for 11 months!

If you wanna buy a separate auger or conveyor, sure... I don't have extra manpower to drag around yet another machine to the fields, so I need something on the cart or on the truck. Make sure to factor convenience.

Comment

Sadly the Industry will steal every efficiency you gain, but first you will have to pay for the ability to be more efficient.
              It truly is like being on a treadmill.

Bayer/BASF. is already stealing the efficiency you gained by better seed placement.

Sectional control, variable rating, precision seed placement, covering massive acres per day.... the more efficient you become the skinnier YOUR margin can be.

Nobody is giving you anything for free, your efficiency is being taken.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                Sadly the Industry will steal every efficiency you gain, but first you will have to pay for the ability to be more efficient.
                It truly is like being on a treadmill.

Bayer/BASF. is already stealing the efficiency you gained by better seed placement.

Sectional control, variable rating, precision seed placement, covering massive acres per day.... the more efficient you become the skinnier YOUR margin can be.

Nobody is giving you anything for free, your efficiency is being taken.
                sectional never pay for me, every field is square, no potholes.

Comment

Keep the auger, one year mine piled up so decided to pull an auger around, way a big pain. Unless you buy a tender truck.
                  Sectional control would be handy. It's not just the double inputs but .ost times here the overlap goes flat and you get next to nothing so it's a triple issue. We have lots of odd shaped fields and always turns out you have half a pass left the full length on the straight fields. Having said that it's more stuff to go wrong.

Comment

We bought this little tender unit for less than the a single belt conveyor on a big new air tank
                    DYDD

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                      sectional never pay for me, every field is square, no potholes.
                      I agree with you on the square fields and no potholes, however it always seems we have that one last 6’ strip the entire length of mile long fields to finish which is less than an acre to seed, but with out sectional we end up seeding 9 acres which does add up. Also sectional control gives the ability to seed on the angle (if you’re into that) and the sections shut off Individually as you enter headland and saves quite a bit of seed and fertilizer.

I had the same argument as you because our fields are square, not saying how long it will take to pay back sectional control as the entire value of sectional control does not go to zero, when you trade drills it does have some residual value as well.

I would say the same about an auger or conveyor, when it comes time to trade or sell the drill it does add value, you don’t get it all back but its a very nice option to have.

If I was buying again I would definitely have sectional control and auger/conveyor on cart for convenience and value .........but that is just me.

Don’t forget full run blockage monitors, nothing worse than expensive new drill that leaves blank rows down the field.

Comment

For a STO using bags, the BAG LIFT saves the body big time. Last 12 years with it. ..priceless.

Comment

STR1, if you're left with only six feet at the end of the field, is it possible to take that amount and divide it by the number of passes you make across the field and just decrease your overlap by that amount per pass. If you have any room to spare.

It may not work well depending on your drill width and/or if you overlap at all.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                            For a STO using bags, the BAG LIFT saves the body big time. Last 12 years with it. ..priceless.
                            In the Ghetto we lift them up with a pallet fork on the FEL.

Comment

Sectional control has worked well for Odd shaped fields,potholes sloughs as well as when one wants to seed at at an angle for trash clearance or sprayer tracks in canola. Conveyor on tank adds efficiency as not having to pull around field conveyor. Takes 1 guy 40 minutes to fill each drill from two super bees and one triaxle. Every minute at fill time adds up. Seed tender would be quicker fill time but would need 1 for each drill and dedicated driver for each. With 3 semis in field we get 2 fills per drill minimum and 1 guy keeps trucks full. Always looking to cut fill time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.