• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garden asparagus anyone?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden asparagus anyone?

Came home from seeding to a midnight snack of the first garden asparagus! Wow delicious!

Anyone else have an asparagus patch?

Comment

Yes have a patch. Nothing even close to the surface though yet. Can’t wait.

Comment

Nuttin better! Correct that- shishliki, beetniks, perogies. 👍👍👍👍 No Covid

Peas are poppin out.
        Last edited by sumdumguy; May 16, 2020, 07:21.

Comment

Yes! Our garden patch was just starting to peek out of the ground yesterday. Should be some eating in a couple days!
          Are those fried in butter? That's my preferred method.

Comment

Just checked. Yesterday it was 2inch tall, this morning 5inch.

Comment

Yes is it ever amazing how fast it grows

The asparagus patch keeps giving year after year we are so lucky

I love mine fried in butter too but it was late last night. Dropped a few sprigs in a bowl, covered it with a plate. Microwave for 60 seconds. Slab of butter dash of salt and better than any restaurant I’ve been to 👍

🚜💨

Comment

My asparagus patches are so old, the ferna are taller than I am. Old variety. M They have so much cover from the stalks and greenery over the winter, they won’t be poking up for a few more weeks. And then they are prolific. Cream of asparagus soup. Yum. Egg Benedict. Yum. The really small stalks, chopped and raw in green salads are yummy. And the best is plain, fresh and just cooked and butter, and served. I’ll freeze a dozen or so pakabges. Life is good. 🙂 Pars.

Comment

The neighbour grows and markets asparagus and we are good customers.

A favorite dish that the cook makes here is a salad - for wont of a proper name - of lightly cooked asparagus mixed with diced strawberries topped with a special sauce she makes and a heavy sprinkle of poppy seeds blended in.

Mmmm, to die for. New crop coming next week. Berries, not for a while yet.

Comment

What fertilizer goes on asparagus? My patch is not producing like it used to.

Comment

I have a few old yard sites on our land. One day last fall while driving past one, I notice what looked like ferns sticking up in some caraganas. I went in and found indeed it was a few spears of asparagus that had ferned out. The yard would have been occupied in the 50's or thereabouts. So I am hoping to divide or dig up the crown and see if it will do better in the garden at home?

Anyone know when best time to dig and move is? It is a FFFFFAAAAAATTTTTTT few stalks, let me tell you.

Comment

Asparagus fern can be full of seeds. The seeds fall onto the ground under the fern and grow. A couple of years ago there were thousands of young seedlings beside the main row at a farm nearby. The neighbour dug the seedlings and planted a quarter mile row of little hairs in a deep watered trench. The seedlings took off like bandits so I’d say spring Is good for transplanting. It takes six or seven years for the young to produce big, healthy pickings. Asparagus can grow wild in Wascana Creek. Our neighbour had a favourite picking spot and robbed it every year.

On old plants the roots are probably very deep so a deep, skinny spade might work best and dig a deep trench to transplant into. You have a back hoe or tree spade?

Comment

Originally posted by Ache4Acres View Post
                          The stuff has a prehistoric look to it.

Comment

That time of year - MMmmmm

Click image for larger version

Name:	Asparagus and strawberry salad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	769722

Comment

Recipe? Looks delicious too.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.