• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grazing on rye

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grazing on rye

Can any one tell me can you graze sheep on rye or alfalfa i am from the uk andneed as much advise as posibele

Roly

I have no experience with grazing sheep on rye, but mine frequently get through the fence onto one of our alfalfa and grass hay fields. Haven't lost any because of it although I tipped one back on her feet last year that was so bloated she would have never got back on her feet without help. Lots of big tummies when they have been on there for a few hours.

Comment

Thank you Smithy
      So is it best to just limit them to grazing rough pasture

Comment

There are low bloat types of alfalfa that can be planted. I know that they have run trials with cows, but I'm not sure about sheep. If you allow them to work up gradually to the alfalfa or rye, there should be less problems. I'll have a look at some of my old materials and see if there is anything about grazing sheep on either one of those.

What province are you located in Roly? Perhaps some of the livestock people there can help you find some information.

Comment

Thank you Cakcadu
          I am stil in England
          but i am buying a 1/2 section in the fall in Sask or Manitoba

ROLAND

Comment

You may also want to consider Cicer Milkvetch, or a combination of grass/legume for grazing. We had upwards of 120 ewes at home a few years ago and they did well on alfalfa, or rye. If it is fall rye, you may have to pressure it early to prevent it from heading out.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.