• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta Plants Down

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alberta Plants Down

So I’m sure unless you live under a rock you know Cargill is shut. JBS is down to one shift if not imminently shutting down as well. Calls for other meat facilities to shut down.(I think there’s plants out east with the same troubles as well?)

Obviously this is going to trickle down. I try and use small town butchers but I’m assuming at this point they’re going to be busier than normal and they aren’t really an option for big producers or feedlots.

So... what, if anything, can be done.

I’ve had citiots come up with some ludicrous suggestions. Right down to meat plants aren’t essential, they should all shut, we can just be vegetarian for a while and if we have to euthanize animals and take a hit that way, instead of continuing to feed them, so be it.

Cats out of the bag at the Packers for now. They’re in serious scramble mode, but I see no reason why they can’t implement better protocols and reopen. Even if it’s at lower capacity. Some are calling for them all to close and be deemed non essential. I just can’t see why that would be considered. Not only does that affect the food supply in Canada, but the affect on farms is extreme.

I work within the ag industry, not just on the farm, and I don’t feel I’m operating at an increased risk because I’m still working. Little bit different environment than a meat packing plant of course. I can’t see us being shut down as non essential though, and in reality, we’re probably less essential than Packers.

Interesting times.

Hard to swallow right now but maybe people need a hard lesson on where their food comes from and who is actually making or growing it.Make them go hungry and beg for it a bit. Money for absolutely everything as long as ur not ag related its obvious our govt has lost touch on this.

Comment

I’m less concerned with people not being able to eat or buy meat as I am with prices for farmers.

On that train of thought I wonder how the fake meat processing plants are coping.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.