• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Positive from cv19

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive from cv19

Suggestions that your local butcher shops are doing gangbusters.

My nearest town 30 kms away maybe 800 to 1000 people small family owned butcher slaughter and butchered on site buys stock direct fom farmers.

Since start of March his sales have increased 800%.

One people social distancing rather than go to big supermarkets were there’s pandemonium people flocking to small local businesses.

Two with restaurants shut down across Australia there’s a ample supply o steak etc and price has dropped for top end cuts but risen for cheaper cuts.

Local baker the same we get a standing order every Monday rather than go to supermarket better bread as well.

People just avoiding crowds.

Same goes for local hardware store rather than big chains. People staying home fixing stuff while isolated.

Small local towns booming from extra bussiness from locals but counter balanced by loss of tourists and through traffic

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post

My nearest town 30 kms away maybe 800 to 1000 people small family owned butcher slaughter and butchered on site buys stock direct fom farmers.

One people social distancing rather than go to big supermarkets were there’s pandemonium people flocking to small local businesses.

Two with restaurants shut down across Australia there’s a ample supply o steak etc and price has dropped for top end cuts but risen for cheaper cuts.

Local baker the same we get a standing order every Monday rather than go to supermarket better bread as well.

Same goes for local hardware store rather than big chains. People staying home fixing stuff while isolated.

Small local towns booming from extra bussiness from locals but counter balanced by loss of tourists and through traffic
    Seeing the same things happening over here...........in some ways its like it turned the clocks back to 60s and 70s.

Comment

theres gonna be lots of good stuff come outta this to offset some of the bad

Comment

I see that here too. Local more expensive grocery and hardware stores being utilized more to avoid going to the larger stores in the larger towns. ( my family included)

Local auto parts store very busy also with more people trying the DIY approach.

Lots of places want you to order and then they bring it to the parking lot, I really like to look at stuff and choose, so not a big fan of that approach.

Unfortunately we dont have much of the butcher shop trade you talk about anymore. Has mostly been shut down from red tape and excessive regulation / inspection. Really too bad from both from a consumer and a producer standpoint.

Comment

Do you private slaughter houses not talking packers but places you can take stock slaughter hung and cut up but no retail sales?

Some one mentioned back to 60 70s yeah exactly.

Initial fears gloom and doom passed after about 3 weeks.

I’ve gotta go visit mom and doctors in 4 hours time 48 km trip into regional centre.

Will count the traffic FYI

Comment

Do you private slaughter houses not talking packers but places you can take stock slaughter hung and cut up but no retail sales?
            Still custom kill/cut shops for your own use, no resale, around but not enough really. Very few that have inspected kill floors for legal meat sales, most have either closed or seem to have become highly flammable in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
              Still custom kill/cut shops for your own use, no resale, around but not enough really. Very few that have inspected kill floors for legal meat sales, most have either closed or seem to have become highly flammable in recent years.
              Highly flammable? Lol
              Local one just burned down this fall
              Is this on propose?

Comment

Locally we had a custom cutting and wrapping processor for off site killed beef and pork, sausage making, small amount of deli style cold cuts. They would provide beef and pork cuts for sale but cut from federally inspected cryo-wrap meat. But no on-site slaughtering. It abruptly closed last fall, they sold out of existing stock and didn't re-open. In doubt the facility could ever be sold because it was operating under "grandfathered in" grace but could probably continue to operate under current family ownership if they wanted. I bet it would have been operating so far out of code and regulation they may have just given up.

I think they're missed, I miss them. Local cutting and wrapping is becoming scarce and a lost art.
                Last edited by farmaholic; Apr 12, 2020, 18:38.

Comment

So local bakers are rare as rockin horse shit as well

In Canada I mean

Every town here over 500 people has a bakery

Comment

Yes we are about 350 pop 500 with surrounding
                    Lost ours prob 10 years ago
                    Bakers are rare also , none here
                    All we have in rural towns is whatever coop gives us

Comment

Rose Valley has excellent butcher, Wadena a bakery, also each local Coop does in store meat and baking.
                      Quill Creek Bison has a state of the art slaughter house, processing, imported German sausage Machine.
                      They have a store in old Liquor Store in Watson.

Comment

Increasing regulations have killed family butcher shops here.
                        Now everyone doing it on the QT lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Ab7 View Post
                          Highly flammable? Lol
                          Local one just burned down this fall
                          Is this on propose?
                          I know of 3 that have gone up in smoke in the last couple years, one was for sale for years. Dont know for sure, but sounds kinda suspicious.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...