Heads up for cattle guys

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Heads up for cattle guys

Apr 5, 2020 | 19:18 1 If you are needing ivermectin for worming at all this spring I would encourage you to stock up. News of the ivermectin study from down under has hit the US and people are buying to treat themselves, forcing stores to take it off the shelves.

Tractor Supply chain in the US just pulled it from all their stores. Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2020 | 19:51 2 Which is more effective pour-on or injectable. Reply With Quote
Apr 5, 2020 | 19:51 3 Holy shite! People are even dumber than I thought. Don’t imagine the ivermectin they take will work anyway cause it sure wasn’t worth a ship on what we poured this fall. Reply With Quote

• fjlip's Avatar Apr 5, 2020 | 20:18 4 https://www.drugs.com/mtm/ivermectin.html
    Ivermectin dosing information
    Usual Adult Dose for Onchocerciasis:
    0.15 mg/kg orally once every 12 months
    Patients with heavy ocular infection may require retreatment every 6 months. Retreatment may be considered at intervals as short as 3 months.

Dosage guidelines based on body weight:
    15 to 25 kg: 3 mg orally one time
    26 to 44 kg: 6 mg orally one time
    45 to 64 kg: 9 mg orally one time
    65 to 84 kg: 12 mg orally one time
    85 kg or more: 0.15 mg/kg orally one time
    Usual Adult Dose for Strongyloidiasis:
    0.2 mg/kg orally once
    In immunocompromised (including HIV) patients, the treatment of strongyloidiasis may be refractory requiring repeated treatment (i.e., every 2 weeks) and suppressive therapy (i.e., once a month), although well-controlled studies are not available. Cure may not be achievable in these patients.

Dosage guidelines based on body weight:
    15 to 24 kg: 3 mg orally one time
    25 to 35 kg: 6 mg orally one time
    36 to 50 kg: 9 mg orally one time
    51 to 65 kg: 12 mg orally one time
    66 to 79 kg: 15 mg orally one time
    80 kg or more: 0.2 mg/kg orally one time Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Apr 5, 2020 | 20:47 5
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneG View Post
    Which is more effective pour-on or injectable.
    Injectable is supposed to be a lot easier to swallow. Pour-on has a little too much kick with the alcohol in it. Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2020 | 21:24 6 I know a guy that washed his hands with ivermectin, wife put the contents of an almost empty bottle in a soap dispenser type of container and the guy washed his hands with it whenever he came in the house.
    Didn’t kill him yet, was probably twenty years ago. Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2020 | 21:28 7
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneG View Post
    Which is more effective pour-on or injectable.
    I can not see swallowing pour on ivomec.but I could believe absorbing injectable ivomec under your tongue.i have both.pour on for cows and injectable for my cats ear mites. Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 01:15 8
    Quote Originally Posted by TSIPP View Post
    I know a guy that washed his hands with ivermectin, wife put the contents of an almost empty bottle in a soap dispenser type of container and the guy washed his hands with it whenever he came in the house.
    Didn’t kill him yet, was probably twenty years ago.
    We need the rest of the story. Was his wife trying to kill him by disguising it as soap, and failed, or is it a really effective hand cleaner, and this was intentional? Or just an accident due to not labeling the container? Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 01:51 9
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    We need the rest of the story. Was his wife trying to kill him by disguising it as soap, and failed, or is it a really effective hand cleaner, and this was intentional? Or just an accident due to not labeling the container?
    We need to know if she locked him in the squeeze head gate? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Apr 6, 2020 | 02:30 10
    We need the rest of the story. Was his wife trying to kill him by disguising it as soap, and failed, or is it a really effective hand cleaner, and this was intentional? Or just an accident due to not labeling the container?
    Ivermectin appears very safe for humans:

The FDA-approved Drug Ivermectin inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro

Author links open overlay panelLeonCaly1Julian D.Druce1Mike G.Catton1David A.Jans2Kylie M.Wagstaff2
    Show more
    https://doi.org/10.1016/j.antiviral.2020.104787Get rights and content
    Under a Creative Commons licenseopen access
    Highlights

Ivermectin is an inhibitor of the COVID-19 causative virus (SARS-CoV-2) in vitro.

A single treatment able to effect ∼5000-fold reduction in virus at 48h in cell culture.

Ivermectin is FDA-approved for parasitic infections, and therefore has a potential for repurposing.

Ivermectin is widely available, due to its inclusion on the WHO model list of essential medicines.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0166354220302011

No scrabies or worms in that fellow!

Since an preventative antiviral... as well... Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 06:32 11 Just over a year ago I was picked for a random check at airport for a hand swob.The machine lit up red from the swob.Only thing I could think may have triggered it was I ivomected my cows only a day or two before.and ivomec has glycerin in it. Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 06:34 12
    I don’t think it was intentional but you never know, the auction sale is this week, it sounds like a very nasty parting of ways. Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 06:45 13 Maybe not cheaper to keep her? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Apr 6, 2020 | 06:49 14
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Maybe not cheaper to keep her?
    I know way to many people that should have listened to that song! Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Apr 6, 2020 | 07:21 15 I got 30 litres leftover in the shop that only set back the lice this winter. I thought it was worthless but now ........... open to offers??😉

No way they’d let something worth $10/L be a “treatment” when the dose is measured in CC’s.

Crazy times indeed

P.S. what’s the next “cure” to be talked about ............... glyphosate 😆 better hide my totes now. Reply With Quote

• Apr 6, 2020 | 09:17 16 You can get it in a paste or pill form to take orally. The Philippinos around here use safeguard whenever they feel ill. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Apr 6, 2020 | 12:35 17 We were treating the cows with the pour on a couple years ago and the hose came off the back pack jug. Probably lost a liter, mostly on my coveralls, which soaked through my jeans. Was probably on my skin for 20 mins before I cleaned and changed. I haven't had any side effects that I know off. Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 13:16 18
    Quote Originally Posted by woodland View Post
    I got 30 litres leftover in the shop that only set back the lice this winter. I thought it was worthless but now ........... open to offers??😉

No way they’d let something worth $10/L be a “treatment” when the dose is measured in CC’s.

Crazy times indeed

P.S. what’s the next “cure” to be talked about ............... glyphosate 😆 better hide my totes now.
    Out of curiosity was that the "new" generic stuff the UFA was/is carrying?
    We had a bit of a lice issue this winter for the first time in forever as did one of my purebred guys.
    Thats the only change we had made and have been suspicious of it. Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 14:25 19
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfarms View Post
    Out of curiosity was that the "new" generic stuff the UFA was/is carrying?
    We had a bit of a lice issue this winter for the first time in forever as did one of my purebred guys.
    Thats the only change we had made and have been suspicious of it.
    Yes it was from UFA although I can’t remember the maker of it. Very disappointed in it and probably should have run them through again but never got to it. Almost cleared up now .......... finally.

Have to find another option for next year. Our vet passed away unexpectedly last year and he was awesome so finding a new source of information could be challenging.

RIP Rick Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 15:02 20
    Quote Originally Posted by woodland View Post
    Yes it was from UFA although I can’t remember the maker of it. Very disappointed in it and probably should have run them through again but never got to it. Almost cleared up now .......... finally.

Have to find another option for next year. Our vet passed away unexpectedly last year and he was awesome so finding a new source of information could be challenging.

RIP Rick
    Interesting.
    Wondering if a test of my left over product is worth a lab test.
    was an article in Alberta Beef over the last few months on how the parasites are developing resistance to Ivermectin though. Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 15:08 21
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfarms View Post
    Interesting.
    Wondering if a test of my left over product is worth a lab test.
    was an article in Alberta Beef over the last few months on how the parasites are developing resistance to Ivermectin though.
    Wouldn’t doubt it. Should rotate out to cylene or dectomax. Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 15:16 22 I treated the cows in Nov. with Ivomec and very disappointed with the results.

I treated the bulls in Dec. with Dectomax and very disappointed with the results.

Lice and viruses are becoming a nuisance. Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 15:31 23
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrocks View Post
    I treated the cows in Nov. with Ivomec and very disappointed with the results.

I treated the bulls in Dec. with Dectomax and very disappointed with the results.

Lice and viruses are becoming a nuisance.
    Yup treated the Bulls in the pasture in December and did them again along with backline I think the end of January ... ..very annoying to have 2 seasons with very poor results from ivomec....and I don't go light with these treatments Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 16:18 24 I've found disappointing results - like no effect at all -on lice. And more doesn't do it.

Might be good for internal parasites, don't know.

So I use Vetolice for lice and it seems to work very well.

Found Cylence to be very effective for controlling flies on later-born calves, like June or whenever the weather turns hot and muggy.. A dab of it and no more face flies, so no more sore eyes.

For some reason the flies seem to really cling to later-born calves around here. Seldom a problem on April-May calves.
    Last edited by burnt; Apr 6, 2020 at 16:22.
    Apr 6, 2020 | 17:12 25

Lice and viruses are becoming a wice instead of once and you will get them.nuisance.
    ivomec I think is weaker and lice are tougher.just squeeze the trigger t Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 17:13 26

Lice and viruses are becoming a wice instead of once and you will get them.nuisance.
    ivomec I think is weaker and lice are tougher.just squeeze the trigger twice. Reply With Quote
    wd9
    Apr 6, 2020 | 19:20 27
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM4CWB View Post
    Ivermectin appears very safe for humans:

The FDA-approved Drug Ivermectin inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro

Author links open overlay panelLeonCaly1Julian D.Druce1Mike G.Catton1David A.Jans2Kylie M.Wagstaff2
    Show more
    https://doi.org/10.1016/j.antiviral.2020.104787Get rights and content
    Under a Creative Commons licenseopen access
    Highlights

Ivermectin is an inhibitor of the COVID-19 causative virus (SARS-CoV-2) in vitro.
    And in-vivo? Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2020 | 20:14 28 Never really had a case of Ivermectin not working, although lots have around here. Two key points I make sure of is do them as late as possible before product starts freezing in the line, usually mid-November (so lice are fully active) and always give 3-4 times the dose. I blame under dosing for most people's lice problems (as do most vets). Have helped guys pour cows before and they are always fiddling with the dosage, trying to save a buck. Roughly I give a cow two gunfulls and a weaned calf one. Bulls get about 3 gunfulls. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Apr 6, 2020 | 20:49 29 15444,

Are those "label rates"? Or "libel rates"? Hehehe... Reply With Quote