• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too wet to seed 2020

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too wet to seed 2020

If the latest forecast for this area (Edmonton region) comes true, we may get more snow in April than we had all winter so far. Not sure which inputs to cancel. Watch out for suppliers pumping costs, there will be unseeded this year especially fields that will not get harvested till June now. If the crop is standing there will likely be water in the field till mid may. Good luck to those trying to calve now.
    Last edited by ajl; Apr 4, 2020, 08:30.

Yeah. Our two week forecast is for a couple days above zero. Most days minus and right around zero. And we have almost normal snow, unlike most areas, so it’s looking late and with late comes too wet to seed risk. Like you said, the crap that has to be combined still is the corker.

If the forecast stays true, it will be trouble, big trouble.

Comment

Jeez , you guys this is not a farm forum
      Try to stay on the three main topics

Comment

AjL and Sheepwheat, same worries here, almost half of 2019 harvest to do and no end of winter in sight.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          Nothing to fear, the most reliable of the posters on the three main topics posted a map today proving that the world is warmer, so obviously this snow and cold temperatures are a figment of our imaginations, go ahead and start field work on the normal date( or slightly earlier, since it is warming) No need to check cows every hour, no calves will freeze in a warmer than normal April. Book extra inputs, the longer warmer growing season justifies it.

Comment

I'd typically be in the field by now picking rock, working water runs, or harrowing places with heavy trash. Frost is still right to the surface, ground is white again after last night. Would typically be seeding by April 15-20th(typically closer to the 20th). Seeding is certainly going to be somewhat delayed here. Long range puts the remainder of April below to significantly below average temperatures.

I'll likely be waiting on soil temperatures this spring. I made that mistake in 2015, I wont do it again...

Comment

really crazy here, -25 to -28 every night , snow piled everywhere , no bare spots

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                Its posts about climate change. Is that one of the three topics? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  Its posts about climate change. Is that one of the three topics? lol
                  Use to be. Now it's the virus, Trudeau and the dreaded Orange Man.

Comment

Does anyone, of ‘old people are smarter’ (lol) age remember the end of April storm that buried us in 1966 or 67? We were at a broomball tournament at Odessa and our trusty Rambler Ambassador ploughed us home. It took Sask Power a week to run temporary cable above ground along 33 highway. SO April can be a buggar.
                    Last edited by sumdumguy; Apr 4, 2020, 10:12.

Comment

Still excellent snowmobile conditions here.
                      I had to walk to the middle of a quarter section to get to the dozer the other day, the snow was well over my knees, and I fell through almost every step of the way.

Almost found out the hard way that there is very little frost under all that snow, the dozer broke through the frost a few times.

I must be optimistic, since I already have most of my fert, seed and chem bought and paid for and brought home. Even thought it doesn't look promising to be needing it all, price has gone up significantly since, the logistics of trying to get it delivered during what will be at best a very short crowded seeding window, and the possibility of a complete shut down by then makes me glad to have things in place.

It wasn't abnormally wet last fall here. So unlike 2016/17, that will help a lot. Most of the rain we got last fall was after it was already freezing, so didn't soak in.

On the bright side, will have a use for the tracks on the combine this spring. See how much further I can go without getting stuck now...

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        Does anyone, of ‘old people are smarter’ age remember the end of April storm that buried us in 1966 or 67? We were at a broomball tournament at Odessa and our trusty Rambler Ambassador ploughed us home. It took Sask Power a week to run temporary cable above ground along 33 highway. SO April can be a buggar.
                        That was our 1996. Snowed a full foot beginning of April. Sat on the roads and slowly melted into the roads. people getting stuck ON THE GRAVEL ROADS! Seeding STARTED May 27th that year. Was not a stellar year. Went skidoing late april up to the forest and back.

Comment

The 2013 late March storm buried us here . Still had massive snow banks at the start of May
                          We were rolling by May 12th , done by the 26th.
                          But we had no crop to harvest that spring.
                          This year not looking good so far but hopefully it changes fast, several million acres to be harvested yet.
                          Delayed crops last year got hit hard by fall frosts here.

We won’t be too wet here , had limited rains last fall. But April can be cruel so time will tell .

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                            Does anyone, of ‘old people are smarter’ (lol) age remember the end of April storm that buried us in 1966 or 67? We were at a broomball tournament at Odessa and our trusty Rambler Ambassador ploughed us home. It took Sask Power a week to run temporary cable above ground along 33 highway. SO April can be a buggar.
                            I think 1966. In those days you bought new license plates every year in April. My Dad had been in town end of April bought new plates for the pickup. It snowed and stormed so hard i remember shovelling the front and back to put the plates on the truck after the storm.That was the year we planted over some small snowbanks along the fencelines the last week of May.
                            In my farming days can't remember the year but it was in the 80's(wish i could find the pictures) May 7th tractor and drill in field with a foot of snow. A few years later planted that same field April 23 and it was dry dry.
                            Yup global warming its been going on for a long time I can feel the effects this morning

Comment

Thursday may 12th 1983, 16 inches of snow with 25% seeded. Next day,Friday 13th ,met my soul mate. Married 33 years this October. Luv life😃!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...