• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US's Chernobyl

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US's Chernobyl

In March, while following social distancing, I watched the award winning HBO series Chernobyl. Excellent series. However, it is chilling how the US response to Covid-19 mirrors the Russian response to Chernobyl.
    The initial government claim that there was no risk. Then that it was all under control. Then that we are well prepared to handle the problem. Then that the problem is overblown and will just fade away shortly. We and the situation is improving and life will be back to normal soon (easter) And finally, we did a great job!

Total propaganda! All BS!

Then as the true scope of the problem becomes apparent to everyone, the blame game starts. We did not cause this. The real problem is the actions of others, not us. We cannot get the supplies we need and deserve. And finally attacking the scientists and doctors who are honestly working on strategies to mitigate the disaster.

The final minutes of the show present the following message and I think it is a message everyone on this site needs to hear and think about long and hard. And not just as how it relates to Covid-19 but everything in life:

To be a scientist is to be naïve. We are so focused on our search for truth we fail to consider how few actually want us to find it.
    But it is always there, whether we see it or not; whether we choose to or not.
    The truth doesn’t care about our needs or wants. It doesn’t care about our governments, our ideologies, our religions.
    To lie in wait for all time.
    And this, at last, is the gift of Chernobyl
    Where I would once fear for the cost of truth, now I only ask, what is the cost of lies.

What will be the cost of the lies made back in February when we were told there was nothing to fear about Covid-19, when nothing needed to be done. What will be the cost of the conspiracy theories and claims theories that are still being made that this virus is a hoax? What will be the cost to society if we continue to ignore scientists and doctors call that social distancing is the best chance we have for defeating this virus? What is the cost if we continue to ignore science because it does not match our ideologies?

Well Ontario said 100k deaths if we did nothing. Sounds pretty meager in a province of 14 million.

Going to be far more economic pain than that in the end.

Comment

That is probably a fair analogy

What to single out the US response , Considering the information coming from China and WHO at the same time, is misplaced at best.

Some honesty from China up front(or even now) could have changed the entire outcome.

Comment

What was the response from the WHO in late December when they knew what was going on ?
        Most countries were relying on info from them .

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

What to single out the US response , Considering the information coming from China and WHO at the same time, is misplaced at best.

Some honesty from China up front(or even now) could have changed the entire outcome.
          I can make that analogy because I have actual video and printed statements from US government leaders making these statements. Statements that have been fact checked numerous times. You want a few? Here are direct quotes from Trump: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/12/trump-coronavirus-timeline/ https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/12/trump-coronavirus-timeline/ (I won't paste actual words because it will fill pages but anyone than wants to see them read the fact checked quotes here)

I can quote Pense and Kudlow too that make the same claims as Trump makes.

Did other countries make a mistake. Of course. Hindsight is great for armchair quarterbacks. And if you want to argue that China and WHO actually lied, then post proof instead of simply making a claim. With all due respect AF5, Unless you can back up what you are saying you are part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            What was the response from the WHO in late December when they knew what was going on ?
            Most countries were relying on info from them .
            Why don't you tell us. And provide actual statements from the WHO about Corona Virus and not just your opinion please.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

The U.S. has supposedly the best intelligence service in the world. The administration was warned back in February about how bad it could be, by their own people. For whatever reason that warning was ignored ,now they are paying the consequences. Now it is the time to prepare for economic recovery and for distributing a vaccine or treatment that may be developed. Right now they are totally disorganized at the Federal level with blame being leveled at Governors by the Federal administration saying they did not prepare. China bears their share of responsibility for not sharing information. But now we must deal with the consequences no matter who is to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                I can quote Pense and Kudlow too that make the same claims as Trump makes.
                Is there anyone else that you would like to include in that list of politicians that made some boneheaded statements early on? Or is it just Republicans?

Are the only politicians that in hindsight didn't do enough to prevent the spread of covid only from Republican America? Or could we possibly include Canadian and European ones?

Comment

Even the estreemed , nancy pelosi said , no risk , keep doing what you are doing
                  But that son of a bitc h from the WHO should be drug behind a horse
                  Oarange man bad

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                    Is there anyone else that you would like to include in that list of politicians that made some boneheaded statements early on? Or is it just Republicans?

Are the only politicians that in hindsight didn't do enough to prevent the spread of covid only from Republican America? Or could we possibly include Canadian and European ones?
                    The republicans are the government. That is a fact. They are the leaders of the country. So what they say and do determines what happens. And those boneheaded statements were not made just at the start of this outbreak, they were still being made 2 weeks ago! In fact the governor of Kentucky just yesterday finally imposed social distancing strategy in his state because he claims he just found out the day before that the virus could be spread asymptomatically - a fact that has been known globally for at least a month. And this supposed leader of Kentucky only found this out a day before Give me a break!

Have other bone headed statements been made? Of course. And feel free to post those statements and make a case that they had the power to change the direction of the country in response to covid-19. Do include when those statements were made so we can judge how much the world knew about it.

Comment

Why don't you tell us. And provide actual statements from the WHO about Corona Virus and not just your opinion please.
                      Read: "WHO Statement regarding cluster of pneumonia cases in Wuhan, China." Posted Jan. 9, 2020. No recommended travel restrictions at the end of the statement. Now I am not condemning the WHO or supporting Donald Trump. I think there have been mistakes all around but there is no doubt that Donald Trump is subjected to far more scrutiny than any other politician and I am certainly not a fan. As I stated on another thread until 60-70% of us have been exposed to the virus or an effective vaccine has been developed life will not return to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
                        Well Ontario said 100k deaths if we did nothing. Sounds pretty meager in a province of 14 million.

Going to be far more economic pain than that in the end.
                        Well thanks for being the first volunteer to take one for the team! I understand what you are saying but it's quite offensive to those that lose family. (And they are not all old people, young father of 3 died this week in Alberta)

Any covid 19 deaths are over and above other causes of deaths. Lots like to compare it to the flu, but again this does not replace those deaths it ads to them If nothing is done to stop this mess it will not end well, if it ends at all. Havent seen the Ontario projections but the ones I have are all deaths by a certain date, not totals, uncontrolled it will keep perpetuating for years and totals will climb. Just do your part and quit fighting it and just maybe we can beat it.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                          Even the estreemed , nancy pelosi said , no risk , keep doing what you are doing
                          But that son of a bitc h from the WHO should be drug behind a horse
                          Oarange man bad
                          When did Pelosi say covid-19 was no risk? Please provide a link to that statement SHE made.

Comment

When did Pelosi say covid-19 was no risk? Please provide a link to that statement SHE made.
                            When she was in China town She was parading around and she did say there is no risk.

Comment

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/nancy-pelosi-visits-san-franciscos-chinatown/2240247/?amp

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.