Ritchie Bros Auction

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Ritchie Bros Auction

Mar 23, 2020 | 18:34 1 Anybody watching? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • blackpowder's Avatar Mar 23, 2020 | 18:47 2 Which do you mean?
    I think every dealer in Western Canada will be watching from the edge of their seats the first few sales. I'll be watching Stoon closely Reply With Quote
    Mar 23, 2020 | 19:55 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver88 View Post
    The big Rouleau sale is on Wednesday.

    I’m thinking a lot of buyers will be involved with our weak $.
    Rouleau is Tuesday...

    Agreed, lots will head south. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Mar 23, 2020 | 20:36 4 What a gold mine, that mumbo-jumbo, especially since on-line bidding. Gravy Train Reply With Quote
    Mar 23, 2020 | 21:01 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Herc View Post
    Rouleau is Tuesday...

    Agreed, lots will head south.
    Excuse my fake news.

    I’m thinking $1.40 CDN will be sending a lot of iron to Montana and the Dakotas.
    Going by the SF3 winter wheat and unharvested corn crop report they will be dealing with muddy conditions. Reply With Quote
    Mar 24, 2020 | 10:50 6 I don't think the inconvenience of internet bidding fees has affected bidding at all. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • Mar 24, 2020 | 10:58 7 Ya guys are not shy about spending $$$ .
    Maybe some are spending the FCC/advance $$ before it comes?
    Lots of people unable to get logged on or repeatedly getting disconnected.
    They have had obvious problems a few times and even shut own for a couple minutes and rebooted the system.
    Lots of pissed off people but it does not seem to be hurting prices. Reply With Quote
    Mar 24, 2020 | 12:29 8 It's pretty clear that a lot of the soon to be US$100B MFP is being spent up here in Canada, sure there are a few Canadian farmers spending there new fcc or cgca money...lol Reply With Quote
    Mar 24, 2020 | 12:50 9 Nobody concerned about coronavirus. Full spend.... Reply With Quote
    LEP
    Mar 24, 2020 | 13:01 10 I would say prices are amazingly strong. Might have to watch for these items coming up at another later consignment auction. Klause mentioned this a couple years ago about items selling at one consignment auction then miraculously showing up 6 months later at another.

    I bought a small earthmover in Saskatoon. After Klause's comments I checked and it was sold at a sale in Brandon a few months earlier. It was advertised with the same pictures. Hmmm. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Mar 24, 2020 | 13:03 11 Strong sale Reply With Quote
    Mar 24, 2020 | 13:47 12 59.000 viewing the sale this afternoon!

    Can't be many that are not watching. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Mar 24, 2020 | 15:32 13 59,000 is probably the 4 sales in total, 1 in England, 1 in Regina, 2 in USA. Reply With Quote
    Mar 24, 2020 | 15:32 14
    Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    59.000 viewing the sale this afternoon!

    Can't be many that are not watching.
    I’m not watching. Don’t have any money so that makes it easy. Not interested in talking to FCC or the CCGA about any “free” money either. Cattle prices have bounced back a little this week though............... nah I better keep my hands in my pocket or finger off the mouse. Reply With Quote
  • 3 Likes


  • iceman's Avatar Mar 24, 2020 | 17:53 15 Farmers are like gophers in the spring..........Not too smart.

    Very high sale

    Iceman Reply With Quote

  • Mar 24, 2020 | 17:54 16 I think I coulda hauled two loads to town by the time they finished selling the first quarter of land. Reply With Quote

  • LEP
    Mar 24, 2020 | 19:57 17
    Quote Originally Posted by LEP View Post
    I would say prices are amazingly strong. Might have to watch for these items coming up at another later consignment auction. Klause mentioned this a couple years ago about items selling at one consignment auction then miraculously showing up 6 months later at another.

    I bought a small earthmover in Saskatoon. After Klause's comments I checked and it was sold at a sale in Brandon a few months earlier. It was advertised with the same pictures. Hmmm.
    Further to this thought, I was watching off and on. I noticed one or two combines sold to a buyer in Texas.Okay...

    Then later on they are selling a 1830 drill with tbt and tbh tanks. It goes to Texas so I write down the buyer number. Later same Texas buyer buys 9 other pieces of equipment. Who hauls an 18 yr old suspended boom Brandt sprayer, JD round baler, Morris hayhiker, etc., a minimum 1300 miles.

    Anyway, I wrote down some info to watch for future consignment sales to see if the "mystery" Texas buyer resells this stuff. If I see it again, I will make a call. Reply With Quote

  • Mar 24, 2020 | 20:36 18 Wow what a sale in Regina. I guess farmers are way better off And flush with cash more than I thought. But for the guy needing a new combine, I guess $200K discount to the new one on the lot is a steal. The land 2.0 x assessment...wow must be the 50 year payback plan. I guess I will crawl back in my hole. To all AG CANADA and Sask Ag lurkers....sorry for zooming you....we are really all loaded just act and talk like poppers. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • iceman's Avatar Mar 24, 2020 | 21:41 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner View Post
    Wow what a sale in Regina. I guess farmers are way better off And flush with cash more than I thought. But for the guy needing a new combine, I guess $200K discount to the new one on the lot is a steal. The land 2.0 x assessment...wow must be the 50 year payback plan. I guess I will crawl back in my hole. To all AG CANADA and Sask Ag lurkers....sorry for zooming you....we are really all loaded just act and talk like poppers.
    Yup even though that land sale was at 2X assessment it’s the only 3 items in 20 years that have some sort of value. Those 790s and 9620rxs not so much.

    It’s gopher season

    Iceman Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • Mar 24, 2020 | 21:44 20
    Quote Originally Posted by LEP View Post
    Further to this thought, I was watching off and on. I noticed one or two combines sold to a buyer in Texas.Okay...

    Then later on they are selling a 1830 drill with tbt and tbh tanks. It goes to Texas so I write down the buyer number. Later same Texas buyer buys 9 other pieces of equipment. Who hauls an 18 yr old suspended boom Brandt sprayer, JD round baler, Morris hayhiker, etc., a minimum 1300 miles.

    Anyway, I wrote down some info to watch for future consignment sales to see if the "mystery" Texas buyer resells this stuff. If I see it again, I will make a call.
    I expect they understand buyer psychology better than anyone. First big sale of the year will set the tone for all the rest. Probably a small price to pay to lose some money subsidising the purchase of some big ticket items today, to keep prices up throughout the rest of the season.

    If you watch the order of equipment as they sell it, they always start with the most valuable and work their way down to the stuff I can afford, they understand buyers emotions. After seeing a combine sell for over half a million as the first item, when they get to the Super 92, anything under 6 digits looks like a bargain... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Mar 24, 2020 | 22:05 21
    Quote Originally Posted by LEP View Post
    Further to this thought, I was watching off and on. I noticed one or two combines sold to a buyer in Texas.Okay...

    Then later on they are selling a 1830 drill with tbt and tbh tanks. It goes to Texas so I write down the buyer number. Later same Texas buyer buys 9 other pieces of equipment. Who hauls an 18 yr old suspended boom Brandt sprayer, JD round baler, Morris hayhiker, etc., a minimum 1300 miles.

    Anyway, I wrote down some info to watch for future consignment sales to see if the "mystery" Texas buyer resells this stuff. If I see it again, I will make a call.
    I suspect they will end up in Mexico. I had a Mexican Mennonite crew build some bins on the farm, and he was also an equipment jockey and would haul this type of stuff down. Showed me some pics of some the stuff he brought down, and some of that equipment would give me anxiety hauling it across the road, let alone across North America. Reply With Quote
    Mar 24, 2020 | 22:42 22
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    I expect they understand buyer psychology better than anyone. First big sale of the year will set the tone for all the rest. Probably a small price to pay to lose some money subsidising the purchase of some big ticket items today, to keep prices up throughout the rest of the season.

    If you watch the order of equipment as they sell it, they always start with the most valuable and work their way down to the stuff I can afford, they understand buyers emotions. After seeing a combine sell for over half a million as the first item, when they get to the Super 92, anything under 6 digits looks like a bargain...
    If you need parts for your Super 92 let me know .......... there’s one in the bush here. Or if you want a real upgrade I got a 510 Massey with some “cosmetic” damage as well. 😉 Reply With Quote

  • Mar 24, 2020 | 23:15 23
    Quote Originally Posted by woodland View Post
    If you need parts for your Super 92 let me know .......... there’s one in the bush here. Or if you want a real upgrade I got a 510 Massey with some “cosmetic” damage as well. 😉
    No way, too many bells and whistles to go wrong on the new fangled high tech 510. What would you need a cab on a combine for anyways? I tried to look up if RB has sold any 510's, or super 92's, and for what price, but something is wrong with the site tonight. Reply With Quote
    Mar 25, 2020 | 06:02 24
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    No way, too many bells and whistles to go wrong on the new fangled high tech 510. What would you need a cab on a combine for anyways? I tried to look up if RB has sold any 510's, or super 92's, and for what price, but something is wrong with the site tonight.
    They were indeed Super! Never mind the 510.

    Looks like I don't have to "attend" the first half or so of auctions this spring.... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Mar 25, 2020 | 07:01 25
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    No way, too many bells and whistles to go wrong on the new fangled high tech 510. What would you need a cab on a combine for anyways? I tried to look up if RB has sold any 510's, or super 92's, and for what price, but something is wrong with the site tonight.
    Neighbour has a belt drive threshing machine if you want real old school. Chainsaw required for removal but at least there’s no flat tires to worry about. Do you have a tractor with a pulley on it? I’d donate a belt that’s hanging in the back of a shed here😉 Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • LEP
    Mar 25, 2020 | 07:59 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
    I suspect they will end up in Mexico. I had a Mexican Mennonite crew build some bins on the farm, and he was also an equipment jockey and would haul this type of stuff down. Showed me some pics of some the stuff he brought down, and some of that equipment would give me anxiety hauling it across the road, let alone across North America.
    If that is where the stuff went, fair enough. I just don't like games being played at a supposed "unreserved" auction. Reply With Quote

  • Mar 25, 2020 | 08:16 27 Just curious, what happens if the border is right shut down ? Hauling auction items be a priority ?
    Could be , just curious is all .
    Long way to haul equipment with no hotels open, restaurants, bathroom stops , Ext
    Maybe it no big deal , I don’t really know . Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Mar 25, 2020 | 08:38 28
    Quote Originally Posted by LEP View Post
    If that is where the stuff went, fair enough. I just don't like games being played at a supposed "unreserved" auction.
    Agree 100%.
    Absolutely have to wonder once in a while. Largest industrial auction co in the world. It would be so easy.
    Either way theyre very good at what they do. For themselves. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Mar 25, 2020 | 08:56 29
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Just curious, what happens if the border is right shut down ? Hauling auction items be a priority ?
    Could be , just curious is all .
    Long way to haul equipment with no hotels open, restaurants, bathroom stops , Ext
    Maybe it no big deal , I don’t really know .
    It might be easier trucking something that far with less traffic on the road. Really makes a guy wonder when a guy in Texas is buying an old concord seeder. Reply With Quote
    ajl
    Mar 25, 2020 | 09:30 30 According to some the land sold weaker than where it has been recently. Don't know the area that well but do know of a sale at $3000 US (3950 Cdn actual price paid) per acre a bit further east of there. Yesterday's sale averaged $2167 US indicating a significant decline. The weak loon actually masking the decline once again. Also surprised the land was broken up to two different buyers as well including one from AB with a one quarter purchase. He will try to flip that quickly unless has other land in area. Reply With Quote