• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small business can't survive a sales drop..?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    If they lend it to you in the first place. Fcc is a joke lender for a small farm with new ideas.
    Or a farmer who came to the game late and didn't fall into their target demographics. Was told once by a FCC representative that I was "painted with a certain brush".

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      I heard that....what the phuck does that mean???????
      Who knows. it is just lip service anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
        Or a farmer who came to the game late and didn't fall into their target demographics. Was told once by a FCC representative that I was "painted with a certain brush".
        Was the target demographic the farming is easy- just need to upgrade technology 'agvocate' types that have a lot of previous generation equity blowing on their sails?

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
          Giving employers a 10% wage subsidy payment so they will be able to keep employees working but if you are a farmer go get another loan.
          Would farmers rather get the 10% wage subsidy so you can keep employees? Lots of small businesses are ran by husband and wives or with kids and don't qualify for the 10% or EI. I know small business owners that would gladly trade to have access to $100,000.00 interest free loan right now.

Comment

Sounds like most here been inside too long. Comparing Western Canadian farms to other Canadian small businesses has always been ridiculous for various reasons.
            An awful lot of people are going to hurt real bad real soon. How many here rely on outside child care in order to work a mediocre salaried job for instance?? As of this week you can't work for one reason or another.
            Life savings in a restaurant? Too bad!
            This is really going to effect the lower half of our society. Immediately.
            An acre will always be seeded by somebody. You selfish Hicks think it's always going to be you??
            You want to prop up $5000/ac land so your son can lead a charmed life??

Comment

Absolutely, we all chose wisely to go all in, high risk, for 50 years! We did our share/time of getting f*cked over by society/world consumers eating for 1970's primary producer prices.

Comment

I agree, but right now it's the other 98% that's going to suffer and immediately. I can always live off my life savings in land.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  Sounds like most here been inside too long. Comparing Western Canadian farms to other Canadian small businesses has always been ridiculous for various reasons.
                  An awful lot of people are going to hurt real bad real soon. How many here rely on outside child care in order to work a mediocre salaried job for instance?? As of this week you can't work for one reason or another.
                  Life savings in a restaurant? Too bad!
                  This is really going to effect the lower half of our society. Immediately.
                  An acre will always be seeded by somebody. You selfish Hicks think it's always going to be you??
                  You want to prop up $5000/ac land so your son can lead a charmed life??
                  Surely you must jest ....the same logic of someone seeding the land can be used for a restaurant as well...

Society has to take their licking like farmers have been ...most of this money is to help shareholders that want their cake but don't want to pay for it...

Ffs I phoned my conservative MP office....all of a sudden we are all in this together...well I for one don't like paying to bring someone home from a holiday while I stare at crop in the field ...

Comment

Surely you must jest ....the same logic of someone seeding the land can be used for a restaurant as well...

Society has to take their licking like farmers have been ...most of this money is to help shareholders that want their cake but don't want to pay for it...

Ffs I phoned my conservative MP office....all of a sudden we are all in this together...well I for one don't like paying to bring someone home from a holiday while I stare at crop in the field ...
                    Until you have been in retail you have no f'in clue. When no one comes through the door for 2 weeks most will hurt bad, 4 weeks and we are talking liquidation.

Don't think low oil prices, hurting ag and rail blockades haven't impacted small town retail already. Now add this which essentially stops traffic to things like rinks, restaurants, theatres. Malls are vacant.

Some retail stores are sending employees home. Most small businesses work with very small amounts of working capital and have very little to borrow against. Now shock their system with this ... many won't recover.

It's like farming with no owned land.
                    Last edited by LEP; Mar 18, 2020, 13:07.

Comment

One good thing about not traveling is not listening to millionaires whining to people who will never use their capital gains exemption LoL.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                        Until you have been in retail you have no f'in clue. When no one comes through the door for 2 weeks most will hurt bad, 4 weeks and we are talking liquidation.

Don't think low oil prices, hurting ag and rail blockades haven't impacted small town retail already. Now add this which essentially stops traffic to things like rinks, restaurants, theatres. Malls are vacant.

Some retail stores are sending employees home. Most small businesses work with very small amounts of working capital and have very little to borrow against. Now shock their system with this ... many won't recover.

It's like farming with no owned land.
                        Sorry yes...I won't argue the statement ...I am in the wholesale business ...

Comment

I talked to an employer today whose office of about ten full-time employees and six part-time wonder how to run a skeleton staff with most staff running their households on a month-to-month budget with high expenses and small savings. What a dilemma! Very hard on families and their employers.

Comment

We as farmers often look at folks with a constant, bankable and knowable paycheque with a mite of envy.

But now as these things are up in the air, we need to remember most people rely on two incomes to make a living, and in spite of how things look, are a paycheque away from disaster.

Quite a thing indeed, watching this unfold. We have significant lamb deliveries to the city tomorrow. But with our restaurants closing, the future is debatable in the near term. You just can’t win! The economic uncertainty is scary for most people. Fear feeds fear.

So fellow farmers, be happy you live in the sticks, and be happy for your independence and self reliance these days. It looks like it will come in handy for once.

Comment

Sorry yes...I won't argue the statement ...I am in the wholesale business ...
                              Except when the Black Swan starts laying eggs you can borrow against the equity in your land. A retail business may not be able to borrow to get past this, even a good one.

I was talking to a guy who has as much business in the US as Canada. He has been talking to people in his company and they feel there will likely be more bankruptcies than deaths. Not to downplay the seriousness of the virus. More to relate the seriousness of the effect on all business.
                              Last edited by LEP; Mar 18, 2020, 17:08.

Comment

Oldest brother just got laid off from local Ag dealership . Him and 3 others .
                                We need a guy for spring so we can give him a job for a while . But others may not have options
                                It’s happening very fast

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.