• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm sales

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm sales

Just leafing through my local weeklies I noted the farm sales. I don't think there are more sales than usual but I did note two old time farm families that were selling out. It sort of bothers me that these "pioneer families" are coming to an end. Not hard at all to understand, with the continuing degradation of profits and opportunities in agriculture? No sons or daughters left to take over. Sell the farm for big bucks and move to the coast. End of the family farm, end of the tradition, end of the family position in the rural community.
    Of course that doesn't mean very much anymore, anyway. Most of the old families have packed it in years ago(and they just seem to disappear).
    Probably my best friend in the world lives less than three miles from me. We grew up together, as did our fathers and our grandfathers. When I was very sick he came to the hospital and told me it was imperative that I get better and not cash in my chips! Said if I died he'd have nothing but squatters and Johnny come latelys for neighbors!
    And it is comforting to know that here is a person who I can talk to who knows the history of this area and knows the hardships and the triumphs that went into surviving here. And I believe when we lose that we will have lost something very valuable? Or maybe not?
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...
X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
You agree to our and by clicking I agree.