• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB Discussion Paper On Organic Food

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB Discussion Paper On Organic Food

4:08 PM 04/08/2000 There are somethings I want to say on behalf of straight thinking strong minded individuals who have built this industry on thier own.I want to point out that forces such as the Canadian Wheat Board have no business in destroying what others have built the following is how I see things from a growers point of veiw. The CWB says they can add value to our grain sales.What kind of value are you going to add to my $9.00 bushel wheat?Right now the buyer pays for everything how much more can the wheat board add? I know what they can subtract. 1 Elevation charges for grain companies. 2 Frieght rates for railroads. 3 Handling charges for grain handlers at the ports. 4 Demurage charges for ships in the harbor. 5 Wages for CWB employies. 6 pay for all screw ups and inefiecincys in the system out of the pooled acount. In other words everyone makes money and I get to pay for it all. Its a big problem on the conventional side seller pays for everything buyer pays for nothing and there is no accountablity in the system.I am not asking for your help to screw me in the ear. Organic grain should be exempt from the system like other groups(ex certified seed growers, Ontario Wheat Growers,Quebec Farmers and so on).It says CWB when it should say Westeren Canadian Wheat Board.You can't save me no frieght when I'am not paying any to start with. You sound like you are afraid of a big defection by conventional farmers. TCA's are issued for inspected fields it is pretty hard to pass off conventional grown wheat because there would be no audit trail there for wheat or barley .Legel action could and will be taken against anyone trying to skirt the system it could get very expensive for them.Buyers,end users,and even consumers have ,and do test for chemical residue and heavy metals and when found the cost gets dumped right back into the sellers lap.Its called risk and the cost is high.With investment in land and machinery no one can run and hide. Big ship ments of organic grain won't work how do you maintain product integrity. I understand Japan wants to go with a picture of the man who grew it right on the side of the product can the CWB do that guarante that grain was grown by that farmer. Its about trace backs through audit trails that guarantes no CHEMICALs NO GMO's its about swept down trucks, blown out combines and border strips it all equals a premeum payed for by people who are concerned about the food they eat. I dont Believe there is anything you have to offer that can take the place of what the grass roots has already developed.So please stay away far far far away. I am an OCIA chapter 1 member from South East Saskatchewan. Sincerly, Garry Johnson lgjohnson@sk.sympatico.ca

Thoughtful comment. I am a little out of the loop on the CWB, but I gather from your posting that the Wheat Board intends to regulate (i.e. be the only seller) of Organic grain (or maybe specifically wheat)? I must admit from my limited knowledge in this area that if I were growing organic wheat I certainly would want to be doing my own marketing, or at least belong to a group that did its own marketing. For example I know a farmer in southwestern Ontario who, when I talked to him last summer was dealing directly with European buyers, and could not seem to find enough organic wheat to meet demand. I assume he still has that problem. I will take the chance that he wants to hear from folks with organic wheat (and other grains too, probably) and give you his name and email: Roger Rivest, Nature Lane Farms, Staples, ON email: nlfarms@sprint.ca

Comment

I have a simple question? Are there any organic growers who want to have the Wheat Board involved. It would seem that present organic growers who have gone out and found markets for their products are at opposite ends from current board supporters who say they have no time to market or want someone else to market their grain.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...